English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Are You in Favor of a Federal Boxing Commission? Vote Yes or No.

Are You in Favor of a Federal Boxing Commission? Vote Yes or No.

This idea has been bandied about for a long time. Periodically a scandal or ring fatality makes it a larger topic of conversation.

As for myself, I'm no right-winger, but I've drifted to the right as I've gotten older -- either that or society has drifted to the left and I've stayed in the same spot. Anyway, I've come to the opinion that there are entirely too many federal regulatory agencies and that we ought to get rid of a few before we add a few more. And I find it so ironic that others that share this opinion are willing to make an exception for boxing.

I understand the counter-argument. If a federal commission could prevent one life-threatening injury, or worse, then it will have served its purpose. If it can stop the exploitation of fighters by shady promoters so that a retired fighter can leave the sport with enough money to live in dignity, then it will have been a force for good. But I feel that imposing another layer of bureaucracy on boxing would create more problems than it would solve. A man with the power to regulate a business has the power to create a lot of mischief.

What's your opinion?

Re: Are You in Favor of a Federal Boxing Commission? Vote Yes or No.

Yes I am in favor of a federal boxing commission as long as it is done right (more below).

We all know there are issues within this sport. The issues of bad judging (which impact fighters careers), unsafe matchmaking, terrible rankings, etc. And of course the issue of PED's in the sport. Would a federal boxing commission be the be all end all and fix all these problems? No but something needs to changed and this would be a step in the right direction in my opinion.

Of course, in order for it to work and the only way I'd be in favor of it is to have boxing people run it. Not politicians. People who know the sport, have been involved in the sport and have a true passion to make things right with the sport. If politicians are involved solely in this, then its a bad idea and things could get worse. But if boxing people are involved, this could be done right and get things churned in the direction for this sport that so many of us love.

No

Advanced Users

NO to a F-B-C. It would just be another snake in the banana tree. And ev'ybodee and dey momma will be going even more apesyet.

The game has enough regulating crooks, PLEASE! The darn U.S.gov will turn off the darn wa-wa at every gym like I heard that Michigan government did in Detroit. WTF! But not only that, the M gov turned off the Motown citizens' water too.

OMFG! Water is suppose to be FREE! What is going in the USA. Michigan native Money May ought to help out his peeps and PAY for those citizens. My boy Eminem might holla!

You Deroitites can move to the P-Islands. We have plenty of water -- fresh water lakes, underground deep wells or high-up-in-the-mountain lakes and water falls -- for you. And it is healthy and free. Holla!

If it's run by politicians...NO! Gotta' have dyed-in-the-wool boxing peeps, ones who know a left hook from a fish hook. Politicians screw up everything they touch and can't decide on anything without playing along political lines. Time to sign off before I get started and go off on politicos.

NO!!! to a Federal Boxing Commission.

-Randy G.

Administrator

Nope.

Depends on what its powers are