English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anthony "Showtime" Karperis on ESPN tonight at 8

Re: Anthony "Showtime" Karperis on ESPN tonight at 8

Wow, Billy D comes out guns blazing with perhaps the strongest first post in the history of TSS. Commish? How do you respond to these charges?

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    Wow, Billy D comes out guns blazing with perhaps the strongest first post in the history of TSS. Commish? How do you respond to these charges?
    Brother, I'm not here to talk nonsense, only here to stop it before it gets too far. The "trainer who should've been fired" is someone I highly respect and the comments were undeserved. I don't live on boards like this and only stumbled on this surfing for feedback on last night fights. I set facts straight.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
    Randy Randy Randy;

Let's start this right, what do you know about Anthony and his playboy life? You're twice to three times his age, so I doubt you're in the places with him?.?. Hmmmm....he's been with the same woman for well over a year. As far as him and his trainer clicking; you know who I am and I'm his trainer, but you know we click, otherwise why didn't he hire you while you were in the gym? I am glad you didn't bash me as bad as you did Wendy's trainer. We will get to that in a moment. Back on to Anthony, short and sweet; he fought a guy who's never been stopped, and some didn't think he would win. Well you saw him win fairly convincingly. The guy never been stopped, so don't say he was a punching bag. What more can your critique? I can do the same sitting on the sidelines about every fighter and/or trainer. Heck, you know we all sit watching fights and say the fighter should make this adjustment or the trainer should be telling him this; but ultimately it is the fighter in there. Enough already on the Anthony talking. You know full well the time Anthony was stopped he tore his oblique muscle. But we're all men here, and boxing isn't about excuses. Anthony will get his rematch and be better prepared if the cards play out right. I ask you to leave the stories you write about Anthony out of your story books. I kept quiet about the crap you wrote a few shows ago before a Paramount fight (something about a Thanksgiving Turkey). Anthony will be the first to tell you he is learning on the job, and I am happy with his progress as his trainer.

As for Wendy and his "trainer" who should've been fired fights ago; you know who your talking about. Did you ever think there's a language breakdown, or even worse a fighter listens but doesn't always listen? I'm sure you know the saying "you can only lead the horse to the water, but you can't make them drink". You are bashing a man who has nothing but good things to say about everyone! The guy has been around the sport longer than you! This is one of the nicest guys in sport. How did you do handling Wendy Commish???

Before you take target on fighters who get in the ring and risk their lives, rethink before typing, critique in a positive manner next time. My research tells me, and trust me I could care less about your stories or pictures or life; I have my own and enjoy not worrying about negativity on everyone else; but didn't you have one pro fight that didn't end so well? You should know fighters risk their lives and ultimately fight how they want in the ring, you been in there, right? Besides that, who have you trained or what have you done beside be a commish 30 years ago or so? Again, does a commish position make you an expert too? I hear you did a great job back then, but again what does that do now?

Now let's move on to facts since you like a public forum; you were the biggest cheerleader for both these fighters when you were in the same gym, we could have given you pom poms. Do I need to post the link with you commentating Anthony's third fight? Then you had a situation with Wendy and the "gym" (which we won't talk about on this forum unless you want to?) and now you like to write negative comments? You are throwing stones in a glass house man! How are your fighters you train doing? Get off the forums with the nonsense comments. I thought you are/were a gentlemen, but lately your negativity has made me even have to type; talking about Wendy's trainer was the last straw. Besides that, both these fighters took their career further than you.

Sincerely,

Billy Desser (I don't hide behind screen names, and I can write with the best of them being well above the the 3rd grade level)

Billy, Billy Billy:

I know a lot of what Anthony was going through prior to leaving that gym. I also am thrilled to hear he is with the same young lady for over a year. I am also happy for him that he left the other trainer. You are doing a great job with him and the improvement is there. But don't get upset when I pick on the quality of his opposition. If an opponent has lost four straight fights and has won one of his last eight, I'll say it. No big deal. If you and Anthony feel there was improvement, that's all that matters. Teddy Atlas didn't seem very complimentary.

As for Wendy, sure, I worked with him. I put him in the phenomenal shape he was in when he returned to the gym. He's a nice kid who plays one against the other. Only recently, after an argument with his management, he came to me and asked me to take him back. I shook my head and told him to go work out his problems. He did. He also returned to the same trainer. I don't buy the language stuff. I had no problem witgh it. Neither did Wendy. He needs a new trainer. Maybe you.

I am not hiding behind any screen name. I sign my name here.

I will continue to write what I write and the facts. If Anthony's next oppoent has three losses in a row, but they were all tough losses which could have easily been wins, I will say so. If he looks great, which I hope he does, I will say that, too. If he looks bad, well, deal with it. I'll also say that.

As for the fighters I train, they are doing well. They're not pro. They are young amateurs. There are three of them.

Keep up the nice work with Anthony. I can't wait to see his progress down the road.

-Randy G.

One thing I noticed is that Atlas didn't say anything about what was going on in the ring that fight - he simply satiated over and over that Anthony's record must be netter than he is, and then stated how poor his opposition was. Meaningless comments, Besides, at this stage of his career, these are reasonable people to fight. We all known the quality of opposition will go up, and soon.

I just watched that card on my DVR. Anthony had a few chances to get that guy out of there. Seldin looked like he always does , runs in and attacks. Mayfield looked 47 years old. Chris Algieri did not get the homecoming reception I thought he would. The crowd was drowning out his interview with Atlas with chants of hammer. Hammer = Seldin. My friend was in Seldin's corner looking like a fat blob. Yes I mean you Scotty Lopeck. I'm hope you read this because I'm gonna bust your chops until you lose at least 20 lbs .

Aw, leave Scotty alone. It took work to build his body up to that weight. He's still a valuable guy to have in the corner, 20 lbs. heavier or 20 lbs. less!

Yes, the crowd, which was a pro-Seldin crowd, was totally disrespectful towards Chris Algieri. I am sure Cletus was horrified at hearing the reception his peeps gave to Algieri.

-Randy G.

Another fighter like LaMotta who gobbled up shots and is fine today is George Chuvalo. Listen to him speak. You'll be amazed.. Randall "Tex" Cobb is another. Some guys can take the hits over a long period of time. Others cannot. The regulators have to be able to recognize the signs of damage.

Then they have to do something about it.

Like the signs from Homeland Security say, "If you see something, say something!"

We owe it to the fighters to speak out if we see something about them we don't like.

-Randy G.

Hey Billy

As Anthony's trainer were you disappointed that Anthony didn't overwhelm that Dominican kid and force the stoppage? The opportunities were there. It was on Friday night fights so if the ref stopped the contest it would have paid some nice dividends.Looking on the bright side Anthony won but some critique is always needed so improvement can be made. The kid was never knocked out before but he was brought in to lose so calling him punching bag is part of the game. Its all in good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    Hey Billy

As Anthony's trainer were you disappointed that Anthony didn't overwhelm that Dominican kid and force the stoppage? The opportunities were there. It was on Friday night fights so if the ref stopped the contest it would have paid some nice dividends.Looking on the bright side Anthony won but some critique is always needed so improvement can be made. The kid was never knocked out before but he was brought in to lose so calling him punching bag is part of the game. Its all in good fun.
    Deep, I was wondering that myself watching the fight. I wonder if being on tv caused Karperis to think too much in the ring. What I mean by that is I have seen him fight before and he was a lot more active. He did not hesitate to let his hands go when I had watched him and throw those combinations particularly on the inside.

This was the kind of opponent as you said who he could have overwhelmed. Maybe instead of reacting naturally though he was thinking too much in there trying to be too perfect knowing the fight was being televised. He didn't do what came naturally and this caused his output to decrease. Just a thought anyway, I could be way off.

I stated earlier I think he should go after a rematch with this guy off tv. The Karperis I have seen in other fights can beat him handily. It might not be a bad idea to consider. A more convincing win correcting some of the things that can easily be corrected would serve as a good confidence booster at this still relatively early stage of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
    Brother, I'm not here to talk nonsense, only here to stop it before it gets too far. The "trainer who should've been fired" is someone I highly respect and the comments were undeserved. I don't live on boards like this and only stumbled on this surfing for feedback on last night fights. I set facts straight.
    Talking nonsense is part of my job here Billy D, so I'll handle that part. What do you have to say to the Commish in reply to his reply after my reply to your reply?