English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do Violent Sports Attract Violent People?

Re: Do Violent Sports Attract Violent People?

It takes more than hot aggression to succeed in any sport. Sport's by their nature are more about skill than about blind fury and boxing is not different. Many fighters do their jobs in the ring but are nice outside of it as has been mentioned by everyone.

Some boxers with serious dynamite didn't enjoy having to clobber their opponents from the off and fought more tactical fights with their raw power taking more of a backseat role, not all fighters are the same however.

There are those guys who seek to do harm. Those guys who see a potential 36 minutes legal window where they're allowed to beat the living day light out of their opponent and get paid. Violent by nature, effective violence by design and a pumped up hatred for their opponent. Nigel Benn sticks out in my mind, he just wanted to take someone's head clean off - but even Benn was forged differently after boxing, no one is cast so permanent that they stay one way forever, the overtly violent can become much tamer in demeanor and personality.

I also don't agree with the differentiation of boxers from 'dysfunctional' backgrounds and 'civilians' - especially on the subject of roughing up women. It doesn't matter who you are, what your parents did or how much money you have at your disposal. Everyone has a switch, and when flicked they can lash out. Some people have never used their fists in their lives and that depends a lot on how they were brought up (not every in the gutter is a fighter) and their personality. I would argue that a lot of people who have witnessed domestic violence at home would not commit the same abuse in their adulthood because of the haunting and harrowing experiences of their youth.

Again, everyone has a switch.

Like someone stated earlier, most violent people; ie the bully type, don't have the mental toughness and determination to properly learn the sweet science, or any other "violent sport" let alone the *** whippins they would endure while learning. Most all of the people I know that have reccently got into boxing and martial arts got into it initially for the health benefits and then fell in love with it.
    The thread starter should spend some time in a boxing gym or dojo and see how many people bring their kids in to learn the discipline, humility, and tradition they get on top of learning a martial art, and hear how what they learn in these gyms help with the kids school performance, and other everyday activities.

My father always laughs and says he doesn't understand why I -- the most non-violent person he knows -- love boxing and wrestling so much.

Sh*t, I'm the dude who has been in trouble once in my life for kayoing a bastard who f'd with my grades.

I'm a nerd who takes school seriously. One time I was dangerously ill and he and a friend of mine told the teachers I was skipping school, causing one teacher to flunk me. Then he messed with me, provoking me for months.

I was furious! I told anyone that if he got within five feet of me, I'd Michael Spinks his a$$.

Knowing my proclivity for non-violence, he kept provoking me, bumping into me, taunting me.

So I unleashed a titanic overhand right that caused him to do a barrashnikov-like (or whatever his name is) pirouette in front of his peeps before tumbling face first into his co-conspirator that left him convulsing on the concrete floor like an infantile retard (shout out to Iron Mike)..... And I still felt bad because I did that to him.

With that personal experience, and having met fighters throughout the disciplines I've done (I've done pro/shoot wrestling training, BJJ, wing chin, karate and boxing), I've learned that they are the most peaceful, benign, non-violent people you can find.

Even my BIL, who was a heavyweight fighter (he didn't turn pro bc he's a psychologist who now works for a silicon valley giant tech firm) that beat up Danny Williams in sparring before he became a jobber, is the nicest guy I know. (He also taught me how to fight, coincidentally. Grimm may know him.)

Even now, my first instinct is to escape. Only if no other options exists will I fight -- and even then I'd probably feel bad for them after, whether I can kick their behind or not.

So without speaking for anyone but myself, I can say what I'm attracted to is the cerebral aspect of it because I'm a cerebral motherf*cker.

Not because I'm violent. Sure, there may be violent guys in combat sports but I've found that to be the exception rather than the rule.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 07-20-2014 at 02:21 AM.

Good comments.

I think everybody has some capacity of violence in them.

Aggression and destructiveness are a part of the human makeup.

Are people who serve in the armed forces during war time more prone to commit murder after they're discharged? Or kids who play violent video games more prone to shot somebody.

People generally understand their limts, boundries and can differentiate the appropriate between use of violence and inappropriate behavior.
    Some of the most famous and disturbing cases of abuse have occured in the highly affuent households of the ultra wealthy and educated portion of the population... ....there are several high profile examples where siblings have murdered their parents in order to retaliate against long term abusive situations.

And although many boxers come from a criminal element. They come to boxing for salvation. They come to escape poverty and criminal persecution and go out of their way to avoid any legal hassles ....especially those infractions involving assault and physical abuse.

A person who has never boxed a day in his life could be more prone to snap and beat up his girlfriend than a boxer depending on their personal make up and the catalyst used to trigger the event.

I'm sure you all know how it works in the gym's... The loud quickly become quiet and the quiet learn to speak up.... Actors don't last beyond the first round.