English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Violent Sports Attract Violent People?

Do Violent Sports Attract Violent People?

There's a piece running on the anti-establishment web site Deadspin that bashes Floyd Mayweather, Jr. The author calls him a serial (woman) batterer and cites numerous examples of it.

The piece has stimulated a lively debate on another (non-boxing) site that I visit. The thread-starter made this observation: "When you resort to violence to succeed in your work place, and it makes you successful, you are more prone to violence outside of the work place."

The 1920s-era lightweight champion Benny Leonard wrote in a piece that ran in a highbrow publication that boxing "curbs the gang spirit; it has helped to refine countless boys." The fellow I quoted in paragraph 2 would argue that exactly the opposite is the norm.

What are your thoughts?

Advanced Users

Re: Do Violent Sports Attract Violent People?

Wow! No! Not in boxing anyway. Depending on your definition of what type of violence. Boxing is competitive legal mayhem violence.

Violent people usually stay away from known challenges of getting their arses handed to them. Violent doers are normally opportunists and bullies, who will take off like roaches in the dark when the lights are turned on when and if you confront them.

The best of the best of pugs are just doing their jobs like soldiers on the battlefields or butchers in the slaughterhouses. People of violence don't last because they are sociopaths who won't put in the time and training to learn the craft. Or take a chance of being the cats that are getting their arses handed to them.

Violent people are all bark and no bite when it comes to boxing. They don't want any part of the beautiful violence that cool, calm and collected pugs with killer instinct put on them.

We are doing our jobs in the time and place for for violence. Doing it outside that time and place is an aberration. Holla!

Too simple-minded. What is a “violent” person? One who aims to find victims, preferably those who pose no challenge but are just mushy enough, inflict pain non-consensually? Someone who buries all outward anger but lives a life of coveting and cheating? Who only rages when his little ego-bubble is threatened but is pussycat otherwise? Or the person who understands that violence is a natural dimension of every living thing, and chooses to discipline it and refine it in a controlled setting with rules of conduct and a sense of honor? I have a strong violent streak but for most of my life it has been carefully controlled, and when it finds an outlet in the ring or in other physical challenges, I feel joy. And, most the ex-boxers I know are gentle people, more than most, whatever they may have been at a time before the discipline and the balance it takes to keep it going, to make it a part of their life, developed....we’re all violent in some way - those who deny and bottle it up, or just shunt it off into hateful or exploitive or bullying styles of living are lacking something that helps them transform violence into something beautiful. But are they more violent, or just more weak and scared?

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by mortcola View Post
    Too simple-minded. What is a “violent” person? One who aims to find victims, preferably those who pose no challenge but are just mushy enough, inflict pain non-consensually? Someone who buries all outward anger but lives a life of coveting and cheating? Who only rages when his little ego-bubble is threatened but is pussycat otherwise? Or the person who understands that violence is a natural dimension of every living thing, and chooses to discipline it and refine it in a controlled setting with rules of conduct and a sense of honor? I have a strong violent streak but for most of my life it has been carefully controlled, and when it finds an outlet in the ring or in other physical challenges, I feel joy. And, most the ex-boxers I know are gentle people, more than most, whatever they may have been at a time before the discipline and the balance it takes to keep it going, to make it a part of their life, developed....we’re all violent in some way - those who deny and bottle it up, or just shunt it off into hateful or exploitive or bullying styles of living are lacking something that helps them transform violence into something beautiful. But are they more violent, or just more weak and scared?
    Danggit! You so violently put that. Hehehe! Nice job! I like the way that you rolled with it. Holla!

Great points from all. Hard to say for everybody but boxing has the ability to make you less violent depending on you demeanor,IMO. If you are very impatient getting your butt whooped and the discipline boxing demands can make what seems like impulsive violence turn into a more conscious decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Wow! No! Not in boxing anyway. Depending on your definition of what type of violence. Boxing is competitive legal mayhem violence.

Violent people usually stay away from known challenges of getting their arses handed to them. Violent doers are normally opportunists and bullies, who will take off like roaches in the dark when the lights are turned on when and if you confront them.

The best of the best of pugs are just doing their jobs like soldiers on the battlefields or butchers in the slaughterhouses. People of violence don't last because they are sociopaths who won't put in the time and training to learn the craft. Or take a chance of being the cats that are getting their arses handed to them.

Violent people are all bark and no bite when it comes to boxing. They don't want any part of the beautiful violence that cool, calm and collected pugs with killer instinct put on them.

We are doing our jobs in the time and place for for violence. Doing it outside that time and place is an aberration. Holla!
    Being a serial poster and all, this is one of your best in my opinion - bingo.

I think others have made solid arguments against the claim already.

I would like to add that boxing is more of a working class sport (is it?). Perhaps because it requires less investment than some other sports and because the required mentality, "kick till you die", is aligned with the though life of the working class. Now, there is more violence (due to socio-economic position) present in the working class, therefore one might confuse correlation with causation.

Thanks for setting the mood Mortcola...and RG.

I believe the only thing mankind loves more than sex is violence and death.
    Death is the natural progression of violence, which is why when victory is achieved in most martial arts competition it's symbolized by the winner forcing the loser into a form of submission that represents death.

What is more powerful than the image of a boxer standing over the unconscious form of a challenger. Or a wrestler pinning the shoulders of his fallen victim to the Earth as he struggles in vain to best the count?

Each genre of the sports rooted in a form of domination that symbolizes the struggle between life and death. To emerge victorious you either slay your victim or suffer the ultimate fate.

"The fear of death ... Is the joy of life".....

When a hundred thousand Aztec tribesmen looked on as their blood soaked festivals of carnage raged mercilessly for an entire weekend of human sacrifice 18 times a year what do you think they were thinking?

Its the same thing that most people think while attending a funeral ........behind each knowing glance...each grief filled hug ....and every heartfelt condolence, there is the invigorating sensation that screams..." I'm still Here, I made it another day!!".

It is said the Aztec gods sacrificed themselves to save Mankind and preserve the universe...and in order to preserve the continuity of the universe human blood must needs be spilled.

In retrospect we know there are no such gods... It was simply Humanity's need to spill blood that was projected upon invisible deities to justify their necessity for the monthly slaughter.

There are examples of the propensity for mankinds bloodthirsty behavior in every culture. Its always been evident
    from the days when gladiators fought to the death in the ancient Ancient Roman Amphitheatre to the delight of its thrill seeking audience ...

To the little boys who burn insects with magnifying glasses and capture small animals like frogs and snakes for the pleasure of killing them in a variety of ways for their own personal amusement.

Boxing is merely an extension of the violence that dwells within us all.
    Its healthy and its inherent in a species that was created to dominate and rule the universe.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Thanks for setting the mood Mortcola...and RG.

I believe the only thing mankind loves more than sex is violence and death.
    Death is the natural progression of violence, which is why when victory is achieved in most martial arts competition it's symbolized by the winner forcing the loser into a form of submission that represents death.

What is more powerful than the image of a boxer standing over the unconscious form of a challenger. Or a wrestler pinning the shoulders of his fallen victim to the Earth as he struggles in vain to best the count?

Each genre of the sports rooted in a form of domination that symbolizes the struggle between life and death. To emerge victorious you either slay your victim or suffer the ultimate fate.

"The fear of death ... Is the joy of life".....

When a hundred thousand Aztec tribesmen looked on as their blood soaked festivals of carnage raged mercilessly for an entire weekend of human sacrifice 18 times a year what do you think they were thinking?

Its the same thing that most people think while attending a funeral ........behind each knowing glance...each grief filled hug ....and every heartfelt condolence, there is the invigorating sensation that screams..." I'm still Here, I made it another day!!".

It is said the Aztec gods sacrificed themselves to save Mankind and preserve the universe...and in order to preserve the continuity of the universe human blood must needs be spilled.

In retrospect we know there are no such gods... It was simply Humanity's need to spill blood that was projected upon invisible deities to justify their necessity for the monthly slaughter.

There are examples of the propensity for mankinds bloodthirsty behavior in every culture. Its always been evident
    from the days when gladiators fought to the death in the ancient Ancient Roman Amphitheatre to the delight of its thrill seeking audience ...

To the little boys who burn insects with magnifying glasses and capture small animals like frogs and snakes for the pleasure of killing them in a variety of ways for their own personal amusement.

Boxing is merely an extension of the violence that dwells within us all.
    Its healthy and its inherent in a species that was created to dominate and rule the universe.
    Wow! That is some masterpiece scribbling. You killed it. Where is the medical examiner and the undertaker? Hehehe! Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 07-18-2014 at 07:56 AM.

I'm with Mortcola on this question. The notion that violent sports encourage violent behavior is far too simplistic. We read about the boxers that make the police blotter and that distorts our perception. And even if one could demonstrate a correlation, as Vasja says, that doesn't prove causation.

I've interviewed many boxers one-on-one and found that many have a soft, even somewhat feminine side. Other reporters have noticed the same thing. The tough-guy persona at formal press conferences is just play-acting.

Not to get too pedantic here, but a person raised in a dysfunctional home where he witnesses domestic violence as a child is very likely to exhibit the same behavior as an adult. Obviously that's not inevitable and one can find many exceptions to the rule. But if the community of boxers is drawn disproportionately from this subset, then it shouldn't surprise us to find that boxers are more likely than "civilians" to rough-up the women in their lives.

Was Floyd Mayweather Jr. raised in a dysfunctional home? I don't want to go there. I'm not about to pass judgement on the parenting skills of someone's parents.