English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I was right aboult Wilder vs Stiverne

Re: I was right aboult Wilder vs Stiverne

Deontay Wilder will be my guest on SiriuasXM radio today at 6:15pm (ET), calling out Bermane Stiverne.

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    Deontay Wilder will be my guest on SiriuasXM radio today at 6:15pm (ET), calling out Bermane Stiverne.

-Randy G.
    Just another reason I hate to work past 8 PM some nights. Fill us in; what did he say? Is he going to take a stay-busy fight to stay sharp?

Deepwater, you are invited to the studio any time! That invitation stands for any of you guys who may be in NYC on a Monday or Friday evening.

Deontay Wilder joined Gerry & me on our show from 6:15-6:30 & was as entertaining a guest as we have ever had on. During the course of his phone visit, we had one of Deontay's trainers--former Olympic & world champ Mark Breland--join us on the line, unbeknownst to Wilder. After about a two minutes on the air with us I said, "Deontay, aside from Gerry & me on the line with you, we have another person who wants to say hello." Then Breland said, "Hey, D, what's going on?"

Wilder recognized his trainer/friend's voice immediately.

"BOMB SQUAD!" he yelled, the playful cheer he and Team Wilder like to yell during training (on Twitter, he is @BronzeBomber, in reference to the bronze medal he won at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing).

I asked him "It looked as if you were going to get a shot at Bermane Stiverne's WBC title in late September, early October. Now we are hearing about a hand injury Stiverne has suffered and Stiverne is talking about facing you in November or December. Do you think he's really hurt? Does this kind of thing get you frustrated?"

Wilder remained cool and composed as he said, "I don't think it's a real injury. I have heard it's a pinched nerve in a hand, leaving him unable to close his fist. Well, there's a recent youtube video of him training, raising a medicine ball over his head. Nothing looks wrong with his hand there. He puts on a lot of weight between fights. He just needs more time to get in shape. As far as me being frustrated, I just take it all in stride. I am a patient man. The fight will happen. If not now, then a little bit later. Like Joe Louis said, 'He can run, but he can't hide.'"

Personally, I would like to see Wilder win the title. I think he will be an exemplary champion. He has done a lot of growing up in the last few years.

The Klitschko Brothers were role models in every way and they were dominant champions. But Vitali is a retired boxer and now the Mayor of Kiev. Wladimir faces Kubrat Pulev in September. Then he will wait for the Stiverne-Wilder clash. Then comes the unification fight against the winner. The fight will probably be in Germany in front of over 100,000 Klitschko fans.

Klitschko vs Stiverne or Klitschko vs Wilder. It will be one or the other.

I've got nothing against Stiverne, but I am pulling for Wilder all the way.

BOMB SQUAD!

-Randy G.