English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Do powershots overide jabs? Canelo outlands Lara 10 rounds in powershots

Do powershots overide jabs? Canelo outlands Lara 10 rounds in powershots

I have yet to see the full fight so I am not shouting an opinion either way.

However I read an article this am showing Canelo out land Lara in powershots in 10 rounds.

That is quite intriguing.

Re: Do powershots overide jabs? Canelo outlands Lara 10 rounds in powershots

It's about effective punching, not numbers. If you land half as many punches, but those punches are twice as effective, then you're on even terms.

So many of the rounds were dead even, with Lara consistently landing the jab, and following up with the backhand cross and lead hook. However when Canelo managed to get Lara on the ropes, which wasn't often, he was ripping in with some very effective body punches, some of which were landing very cleanly. Most of the rounds they were nullifying each other's advantages- tit for tat, and it was give or take on several rounds.

There's no 'black or white' answer to your question (and anyone will say to be wary of punch counts- they're often inaccurate) since we don't score for quantity, but quality in the pros. In my view though, Lara was largely out boxing and out foxing Canelo, even if he wasn't landing the same quantity of power punches, though neither really did enough to win the fight outright for me.

The real question here is do hard body shots count more so than flashy combination upstairs.

In my opinion, its the overall impact of the punch that lands that carries more weight when scoring a round. For example, Lara lands a sharp jab and left that snap Canelo's head back. It looks flashy and scores effectively but was not a very impactful combination. Canelo then rips two hard left hooks to the rib cage that land with an impact and were clearly harder than the combination landed by Lara. To me, that carries more weight than the flashy combination landed by Lara when scoring the round as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    It's about effective punching, not numbers. If you land half as many punches, but those punches are twice as effective, then you're on even terms.

So many of the rounds were dead even, with Lara consistently landing the jab, and following up with the backhand cross and lead hook. However when Canelo managed to get Lara on the ropes, which wasn't often, he was ripping in with some very effective body punches, some of which were landing very cleanly. Most of the rounds they were nullifying each other's advantages- tit for tat, and it was give or take on several rounds.

There's no 'black or white' answer to your question (and anyone will say to be wary of punch counts- they're often inaccurate) since we don't score for quantity, but quality in the pros. In my view though, Lara was largely out boxing and out foxing Canelo, even if he wasn't landing the same quantity of power punches, though neither really did enough to win the fight outright for me.
    Half as many punches but twice as effective? It's the sweet science not rocket science! If you do more damage to your opponent then you're up. I had it 115-113 Canelo. I could have seen a draw too, and in hindsight 115-113 for Lara too.

But, the crucial point is that Lara was fighting an amateur style fight. He fought in spots and spent most of the time running around. He thought Canelo would be caught by him moving left and right. Canelo had him worked out but just couldn't close the distance to land the punches. If he had it would have been lights out.

Also Canelo didnt just catch him on the ropes, Lara learnt his lesson and never stayed there. It was in the middle of the ring most of those body blows were dealt. And there were many.

Lara could have won the fight as others have mentioned on these forums by turning up the heat. If he spent more time hitting the hittable then there would be no controversy as he would have won. Instead he left doubts in the minds and the judges felt the tide of the crowd and gave it to the money printer.

Lara knew this was his big opportunity and he let it slip. He needs to fight like a pro, it really sickens me when guys don't adapt to the pro game. You can stick and move but make sure when you stick, the guy gets stuck!