English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Take On Canelo, Lara and the Wide Scorecard

Re: My Take On Canelo, Lara and the Wide Scorecard

Lara learned a valuable lesson here. Don't be content to make a guy miss. You gotta make him pay. All those time he had Canelo swinging like a caveman, instead of fleeing, Lara should've stopped and fired.

I'm not going to say he should just let his hands go in the center because there are subtle things we don't see that Canelo could've done to discourage it.

But when a guy fires and misses, the opening is there! Take it!

Sadly, he's been like that since he turned pro. There would be many, many openings he would never take advantage of. Teddy Atlas pointed this out when he fought Carlos Molina.

He's got some nice endurance, that's for sure, but he needs to work on countering off those misses.

When Canelo swung like that, the perception, to the viewer (at least based on the Twitter commentary I saw from some "reputable" media), isn't necessarily that he's a good defender. Instead, it gives the impression that Canelo is trying to catch the Road Runner.

Had he simply pivoted off one of those wild overhand rights, he could've landed anywhere from one to three clean punches to the body and/or head before Canelo would know what hit him.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    A fight is viewed holistically in its totality but is scored on a round-by-round basis.

There's a big difference and it's easy to get the two confused. And that can lead to the perception of robberies and foul play.

You can have a super close, evenly fought fight with a 120-108 score with one guy just edging each round by a narrow margin.

A good example of this is Andre Ward vs. Sakio Bika -- probably the most even fight Ward has had during his championship run.

Then you can have a guy dominating a fight coming away with a draw -- just like the first Marquez-Pacquiao fight where JMM easily outboxed him. But with the knockdowns and a few swing rounds here and there, judges scored it anywhere from 10 rounds for Marquez to 7 for Pacquiao.

A good analogy is if Pete Sampras plays Andre Agassi 12 times in one year and wins each one 7-6, 6-7, 7-6. He's up 12-0, suggesting complete dominance, though each match tells a story of an evenly contested match.

Now say the following year, Agassi smokes Sampras 6-1, 6-0 six times but losing the other six by way of tie-break again. The overall perception may be that Agassi is superior, and he's certainly won more games and sets over the two-year period, but they're 6-6 -- a draw.

I don't think Martinez -- whether he had it filled out before or not -- delivered a suspect scorecard. Because you can easily defend it, based on the fight we saw Saturday.

Canelo-Lara could easily have been 10-2 either way. Wide margins don't necessarily equal holistic dominance. So I won't go as far as to call him corrupt.

After all, everyone agrees the overall verdict was fair. This is why there are three judges.

Martinez may have been biased or easily influenced, however. He was, after all, the most inexperienced guy on the panel.
    Just as C.J. Ross was always delivering odd, ridiculous cards, check LM's similar behavior. His home state of New Mexico borders Texas. And he is a partner in crime of those bizarre $¢ore¢ards in Texas. He will be gone, as she is, before long.

BTW, Marquez out bytch boxed Da Manny, not professional out boxed him. This is why Marquez was always losing. Stay-off-me, get-the-fudge-away-from-me punches do not work in the pros. Ninety percent of the boxing trainers thought Da Manny won. Even the late GBG Manny Steward picked Da Manny. Talking head Max Kellerman and half of the scribe didn't.

The only super top trainer that pick Marquez every single time was the Genie Naazim Richardson. He is a hater. [I used to beat da hebejeebeez outta his Philly fighters, including his sons.

Bryant Vera, The Filipino Flash, The Filipino Bomber and I used to scorch those arses.]

Also 75 percent of the pugs picked Da Manny. Boxing is not that hard to score. "It doesn't take a rocket scientist." Matter of fact, most people don't even know that this rocket scientist who boxing peeps always holla about was also a real, legit boxer.. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Just as C.J. Ross was always delivering odd, ridiculous cards, check LM's similar behavior. His home state of New Mexico borders Texas. And he is a partner in crime of those bizarre $¢ore¢ards in Texas. He will be gone, as she is, before long.

BTW, Marquez out bytch boxed Da Manny, not professional out boxed him. This is why Marquez was always losing. Stay-off-me, get-the-fudge-away-from-me punches do not work in the pros. Ninety percent of the boxing trainers thought Da Manny won. Even the late GBG Manny Steward picked Da Manny. Talking head Max Kellerman and half of the scribe didn't.

The only super top trainer that pick Marquez every single time was the Genie Naazim Richardson. He is a hater. [I used to beat da hebejeebeez outta his Philly fighters, including his sons.

Bryant Vera, The Filipino Flash, The Filipino Bomber and I used to scorch those arses.]

Also 75 percent of the pugs picked Da Manny. Boxing is not that hard to score. "It doesn't take a rocket scientist." Matter of fact, most people don't even know that this rocket scientist who boxing peeps always holla about was also a real, legit boxer.. Holla!
    Be that as it may, while he may be inept, you can still defend Martinez' scorecard, based on the rules.

I just think we may be walking a fine line here because there are other, more insane scorecards that deserve the outrage -- not the one where the overall verdict wasn't a robbery.

You beat his sons?! Aren't they much bigger than you?

Advanced Users

Lara learned a valuable lesson here. Don't be content to make a guy miss. You gotta make him pay. All those time he had Canelo swinging like a caveman, instead of fleeing, Lara should've stopped and fired.

I'm not going to say he should just let his hands go in the center because there are subtle things we don't see that Canelo could've done to discourage it.

But when a guy fires and misses, the opening is there! Take it!

Sadly, he's been like that since he turned pro. There would be many, many openings he would never take advantage of. Teddy Atlas pointed this out when he fought Carlos Molina.

He's got some nice endurance, that's for sure, but he needs to work on countering off those misses.

When Canelo swung like that, the perception, to the viewer (at least based on the Twitter commentary I saw from some "reputable" media), isn't necessarily that he's a good defender. Instead, it gives the impression that Canelo is trying to catch the Road Runner.

Had he simply pivoted off one of those wild overhand rights, he could've landed anywhere from one to three clean punches to the body and/or head before Canelo would know what hit him.
    It is not that easy. He could not have stopped and fired without getting plugged, i.e., "El Perro" Angulo. The red-headed hype was waiting for him to sit down and punch. Then KaPOW! Lights out! Hehe!

That caveman swinging was designed for that purpose. Sometimes you have to take it back to the way of the ancients. Canelo was caveman swinging to where he thought Lara was going to be. Don't forget that Team Canelo studied the Lara-Angulo Bout.

Lara would three steps to the right -- FEINT -- then two steps to the left and fired a 1-2. El Perro "caveman" swung hooked and swung a clubbing right cross and dropped him twice and staggered him all night long.

The sweet science is about a lot of settled actions and reactions that the average Joe and Jane don't know and cannot see. Openings that you swe/saw are optical illusion baits. Darn tricks of the trade. If Lara would've went for them, he would've GKTFO. In that squared jungle, it's tricky. And you better listen to your corner's Mickey. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    It is not that easy. He could not have stopped and fired without getting plugged, i.e., "El Perro" Angulo. The red-headed hype was waiting for him to sit down and punch. Then KaPOW! Lights out! Hehe!

That caveman swinging was designed for that purpose. Sometimes you have to take it back to the way of the ancients. Canelo was caveman swinging to where he thought Lara was going to be. Don't forget that Team Canelo studied the Lara-Angulo Bout.

Lara would three steps to the right -- FEINT -- then two steps to the left and fired a 1-2. El Perro "caveman" swung hooked and swung a clubbing right cross and dropped him twice and staggered him all night long.

The sweet science is about a lot of settled actions and reactions that the average Joe and Jane don't know and cannot see. Openings that you swe/saw are optical illusion baits. Darn tricks of the trade. If Lara would've went for them, he would've GKTFO. In that squared jungle, it's tricky. And you better listen to your corner's Mickey. Holla!
    True, true but look at some of those wild misses in slow motion. Canelo's already crouched over and off balance while Dandy Landy is out of the way.

Had he elected to stop sidestepping once Canelo was done throwing, he would've been in position to counter. Instead, he took five extra steps to embarrass Canelo.

For the record, I don't think I mentioned this anywhere, I had it 7-5 Lara but I think a draw would've been the fair verdict here. I'm cool with the SD.

Advanced Users

Be that as it may, while he may be inept, you can still defend Martinez' scorecard, based on the rules.

I just think we may be walking a fine line here because there are other, more insane scorecards that deserve the outrage -- not the one where the overall verdict wasn't a robbery.

You beat his sons?! Aren't they much bigger than you?
    There is nobody in the loop defending his card. And only an iota of pundits outside the loop. I don't know what rules you are referring to. He won't be invited back to Sin City to judge anymore than Texan referee Lawrence Cole will be invited there to referee.

It's a hard, hard life. Holla!

Advanced Users

True, true but look at some of those wild misses in slow motion. Canelo's already crouched over and off balance while Dandy Landy is out of the way.

Had he elected to stop sidestepping once Canelo was done throwing, he would've been in position to counter. Instead, he took five extra steps to embarrass Canelo.

For the record, I don't think I mentioned this anywhere, I had it 7-5 Lara but I think a draw would've been the fair verdict here. I'm cool with the SD.
    I also had it 7-5 Lara. But I thought it was going to be a majority draw. FTR, if you holla at my archives, you will see that I didn't back down from saying that Lara will not win a decision. Maybe he will get a draw, "but a certain judge is going to rip him off." And I knew and shoulda' said it this Universe. But I wanted ev'ybodee and dey momma to see it for themselves. I was going to let it go until somebody prop me. Holla!