English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floyd Tweets Out The News; It's Official, Mayweather-Maidana II Is A Go

Floyd Tweets Out The News; It's Official, Mayweather-Maidana II Is A Go

Floyd has taken to Twitter, and made it official: for his next fight, taking place Sept. 13 at the MGM, his fighting home, he will again fight Marcos Maidana.
    Maidana, a rugged Argentine, gave the 46-0 Floyd a run for his proverbial money when they clashed May 3, and he had Floyd on his heels. Some were asking if Floyd's legs had started to go a bit, if his reflexes had dimmed when the judges announced a decision, a majority nod for Mayweather.
    Bum rushing the skilled pugilist, hitting him, high, low and even behind the head, the 35-4 Maidana gave Floyd the stiffest test of any man, since Jose Luis Castillo back in 2002. For that, he's been granted the license to try and do even better this time around.
    "#Mayhem. Mayweather vs. Maidana 2 September 13, 2014 MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Live on Showtime PPV," the Tweet read.
    Predictably, I think, fan reaction was mixed. Many fight fans would like to see Floyd take on, stop me if you've heard this before, Manny Pacquiao…or Shawn Porter…or Keith Thurman…or Peter Quillin. Many of those negative nellies think that Floyd was "letting" Maidana have some success early on in their tangle and that when he decided to use his legs and brain, he took rounds with relative ease. Maidana has no hope of winning, they say. Me, I think the kid should be rewarded for exceeding expectations…and I think the possibility exists that at 37, Floyd, who turns 38 in Feb., has started to slide. I saw him get caught with some punches that he didn't expect to, as if the reflexes that were present a couple years ago were no longer A plus grade.
    Talk to me. You like? Dislike? Can Maidana get the W in a rematch..or will Floyd have a much easier time against the rumbler in this rematch?
    WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

Re: Floyd Tweets Out The News; It's Official, Mayweather-Maidana II Is A Go

Well we are now official and know the site will also be MGM and not somewhere in NY.

I will say right off the bat I am very interested and think Maidana deserves another crack. It will be very interesting to me to see what adjustments both make come the rematch. Mayweather is also doing a lot of talking about a surprise next May but first he better be focused and take care of business in the ring in September.

I do think we are going to see a strong undercard with a strong supporting co-feature fight. Broner-Matthysse has been tossed out around on twitter but that strictly appears at this time to be nothing more than a rumor with nothing substantive right now. Even if not Broner-Matthysse, a fight of similar magnitude. And then get creative with the other bouts like Kamegai-Soto Karass or something similar where the styles of the fighters would make for a slugfest.

Of course, right now to we do not know who the promoter of the event will be so that will have a major impact of who lands on the undercard and is still a major question to be answered.

Again Team Mayweather proves to be too smart.

Firstly, they know they got Maidana's number.

Secondly, Maidana killed himself morning till night getting into the best shape of his life - how did it stack up vs Mr #1 P4P? No where near good enough. So what does that tell Chino and his team? Train harder. Chino will over train and will lose before he steps into the ring.

Thirdly, Maidana's camp out won't be fixing up a new battle plan - they're going to come in with the same tactics only they're going to try bring in a bigger and better engine.

Along with every other boxing fan who knows the pedigree of these two fighters, I believed Floyd would make easy work of him in the first fight. He did. Just because he allowed Chino to maul him and possibly win 3-4 rounds doesn't mean a thing. He let the hot head cool off his steam till he was warm enough to touch. It's clever boxing, especially when you're a great defensive boxer.

Floyd will do what he does best, get in great shape and work things out on the night. Chino will over do it in camp, get consumed by the sight of Floyd standing in front of him during the fight and punch himself out again before 6 rounds.

Another UD for Mayweather and a very disappointing match up. A mockery of the fans and an exploitation of their addiction to PPV.

What's the big surprise for May... Amir?
    Last edited by Skibbz; 07-10-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Floyd will have Chino in a pair of pillow gloves. Floyd will also demand that the NSAC appoints a referee that will not let Chino get away with any borderline rough stuff while Floyd uses his illegal elbow. Floyd will cruise to an easy UD12 Chino will have at least 2 points deducted while getting warned numerous times.
    Golden Boy will be the promoter in association with Mayweather Promotions.

Geez, I can't believe you guys are writing Maidana off like this. While I, too, see another points victory for $$$May, I don't believe that he is going to have an easier time fighting off the hard-charging Argentine in September.

I keep hearing and reading that $$$May will "keep this fight in ring center." Do you really think he can do that round after round. Maidana throws punches. Lots of them. Sure, he'll get hit. But he's willing to stand and trade with $$$May all night long.

As far as the officials, do not expect TMT to walk in and tell new NSAC Executive Director Bob Bennett who should work and who shouldn't. The former Special Prosecutor for the FBI is not a guy to be dictated to.

For those of you who aren't going to buy the event, I feel sorry for you. I believe you are going to be missing a good one.

-Randy G.

The first fight was very close. Madaina gassed big time in the last few rounds and the second half was a bit boring and uneventful.

Floyd had a tough time with Chino so I respect him for making the rematch. However I still have no interest in dropping 70$ on it, especially with Floyd stating he will fight on his bicycle this time.

Lucas M would knock Broners head off which is what the world wants to see and would help PPV numbers but Broner wont take that fight he knows he will get beat half to death.

I could care less about Floyd's "surprise" next May. I mean really, didnt he say before "pac is next"?

he doesnt bait me

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    Geez, I can't believe you guys are writing Maidana off like this. While I, too, see another points victory for $$$May, I don't believe that he is going to have an easier time fighting off the hard-charging Argentine in September.

I keep hearing and reading that $$$May will "keep this fight in ring center." Do you really think he can do that round after round. Maidana throws punches. Lots of them. Sure, he'll get hit. But he's willing to stand and trade with $$$May all night long.

As far as the officials, do not expect TMT to walk in and tell new NSAC Executive Director Bob Bennett who should work and who shouldn't. The former Special Prosecutor for the FBI is not a guy to be dictated to.

For those of you who aren't going to buy the event, I feel sorry for you. I believe you are going to be missing a good one.

-Randy G.
    The piracy on the mainland USA will be in full effect. Or even those homes that can pick satellite TV will see the duplicate fight free again.

The results of this dance will be the same as the first one. Showtime providers are weak in blocking hackers from Showtime PPV signals. I will be in the P-Island and will be seeing the fights free from the American Forces Network anyway.

In the old T$$ Universe, we had a Reader/Poster name Hakim who was hooking up da hoods in several Cali locales. And when I teased him about it, dude invited me to throw down. But when he identified me at a gym, and not hiding in plain sight, he claimed to have been just jiving.

The last that I heard of him, he was during time for cable piracy and identity theft. He is probably bunking with SCLA Ali. Hehe! Holla!

Occasionally in boxing one fighter can reach his peak while the other fighter begins to decline. sometimes the difference is only a decline in desire.

after 37 years of abstaining from vices like alchohol, even when he's in the midst of some of the most lavish parties thrown since King Solomon walked the earth, The man may be secretly craving a taste of Las Vegas's most expensive champagne.

at some point every athlete wants to be able to live like everybody else.

Maidana has a real chance to make history. I suspect he never got out of shape after the first fight. Maidana reminds me of those mutants who lived in the mountains and preyed on people in that movie "The Hills Have Eyes". (I mean this in a good way)

I can picture Maidana training in the wilderness, cut off from civilization, feeding of the land with his weirdly scoped short barrel rifle while punching the bark off balboa trees from sun-up to sundown. A man whose singular focus is on his prey.

Maidana is totally insulated from the mind games...he doesn't care about the conceit and vanity of celebrity and the trappings of stardom. Maidana specifically said after the loss he would not fight anyone again for an entire year if he couldn't get another fight with Mayweather. He was adamant about this... (despite Broner crooning for a rematch). That's an awesome display of conviction and true dedication. An now that he's come within a hairs breadth of defeating the #1 P4P fighter in the world he's more motivated than ever.

Ariza is out of the picture and the old school training is back according to trainer Robert Garcia, I wouldn't be surprised if they had Maidana chasing Rhode-Island-Red roosters around a muddy pen to get prepared.

Maidana will be training with whatever allowable pair of gloves permitted by the Mayweather camp and by fight time he'll be making those gloves sing like handheld bricks.

Money May had best dust off his supposedly never-needed-before "A-Game" for this fight. Maidana is thirstier than ever. He can smell victory cooking on the grill like a freshly butchered carcass.

This is going to a be an edge of the seat affair.
    Last edited by brownsugar; 07-11-2014 at 02:23 AM.

I think Brownsugar that Floyd is battling something more than a want to be like every one else. He is a living legend on the big stage fighting to prove to everyone else that he's not human.

By taking Maidana again he is further bolstering his legend because he will not lose. Why are you all giving Maidana a chance in this fight? I've watched the fight over many times and Maidana barely has a look in.

If you were to be scoring in Maidana's favour, you could only at most give him 3 or 4 of the 12 rounds. Floyd will win this fight comfortably. Maidana's style will get pulses racing for a few early rounds but that's all!

Advanced Users

I believe this dance will be as close as the last one. In that one, I scored it 5-4-3 for Money May.

With the shift punching and jabbing and stabbing that Maidana uses nowadays, he has Money May's number. Or any shoulder-rolling pug's number.

Maidana is just not adroit enough to pop Money May with enough blinding shots to put him down. And that is the only way that Maidana can win this thing. Holla!