English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BIG MAC'S PREDICTION PAGE: They Like Canelo Over Lara...What About YOU?

Re: BIG MAC'S PREDICTION PAGE: They Like Canelo Over Lara...What About YOU?

I have to increase my Lara to win bet.

Canelo might or might not have more power but Lara will never let him land it. Lara is the better boxer.

This is a tough one to pick which makes it a great one to watch.

I just think Canelo will have more firepower and the more telling conviction on his shots to win him a UD.

Of course Lara will be more accurate while also being less active and Canelo's power and combination punching will put Lara on his back foot and cause him to retreat enough to where the judges will see it as effective aggression on the ginger's part.

The decision will be refuted back and forth with each fan having an opinion on what they feel wins fights.

Will it be effective aggression and the harder partially blocked shots for Canelo?

Or will it be Lara boxing while going away and landing less, although more accurate shots?

Time will tell

I'm going with Erislandy Lara, and it may be a clinic. There's a lot of certainty out there -and it's against one of the Cuban school's star graduates. Count me out. Too much is being made of Canelo's size and strength. At 5'9, Lara is the same height as Canelo with a five-inch reach advantage, and his level of ring generalship is closer to Floyd's than it is to Trout's. Lara will, by the middle rounds, exert technical mastery over Canelo, and then Canelo will have to make a decision. If Canelo fights harder (and the bull in a match-up like this is expected to), he will run into stamina issues and he knows it. If his stamina issues kick in, he will be preoccupied with preserving energy and will begin to concede rounds. He has shown a pattern of fighting only in spurts as fights progress and I see that happening late after aggressive moments early that may or not drop Lara. If Lara is still there after round 5/6, he takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by Springs Toledo View Post
    I'm going with Erislandy Lara, and it may be a clinic. There's a lot of certainty out there -and it's against one of the Cuban school's star graduates. Count me out. Too much is being made of Canelo's size and strength. At 5'9, Lara is the same height as Canelo with a five-inch reach advantage, and his level of ring generalship is closer to Floyd's than it is to Trout's. Lara will, by the middle rounds, exert technical mastery over Canelo, and then Canelo will have to make a decision. If Canelo fights harder (and the bull in a match-up like this is expected to), he will run into stamina issues and he knows it. If his stamina issues kick in, he will be preoccupied with preserving energy and will begin to concede rounds. He has shown a pattern of fighting only in spurts as fights progress and I see that happening late after aggressive moments early that may or not drop Lara. If Lara is still there after round 5/6, he takes over.

Springs summed it up very succinctly and economically. ..which I believe is sort of an anology to Lara's fighting style. Sharp, focused, accurate and economical.

I couldn't believe how the fans packed the venue for the weigh-in. I wish now that I'd taken some vacation and booked a room and some tickets.

There's nothing like two young lions stepping up to the scale wearing their pride and sisu on their sleeves for all the world to see.

Canelo looked a little num and reserved. You could see the realization of the moment pulsating just below the surface of his stone- like countenance.
    I didn't say he was scared.....just concerned and there is nothing wrong with a little healthy concern the day before a fight.

In addition to this Canelo looked a tad malnourished which is not too unusual for an athlete participating in a weight based sport. Maybe the extra pound will prevent him from having a flat performance.

Lara looked relaxed and ready.. His body rippling with sinuous muscles tissue totally devoid of any visible body fat. In a subtle way Lara exhibited the body language of a bully as he stood face to face with the pride of GoldenBoy and did his best to appear menacing.

In the post weigh in interview he claimed he wanted to break Canelo's face right there on stage.

Did it work?

Canelo ....ever the classy and reserved pragmatist said the fight is tomorrow anyway so any theatrics at this point is strictly a waste of effort. He will show Lara his own superior ability in the ring on fight-night.

Lara gave a half hearted "Viva Mexico" as he left the stage with little to no response from the pro latina crowd while Canelo's exit was precipitated by raucus cheers of encouragement. Lara just has to be mindful that he has to be landing punches as he's moving out of harms way.

Its a difficult choice but since there has to be a winner and a loser I'm picking Lara.
    50% of boxing is movement. A fighter whose has great foot work can virtually shut his opponent down. Even if his punches contain the concussive power of Thor's mythic hammer, Miljolner.
    Last edited by brownsugar; 07-11-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Pressure, skill and stamina.

That’s what this one is all about.

Canelo needs to not forget about defence, and exert a lot of pressure so Lara skills don’t come into the fray and pay the dividends they are capable of delivering.

But the downside and/or cost of that is - as some other posters here rightly state - stamina reserves towards the championship rounds, and a possible strategy change if someone is seriously out of gas.

Lara, should look to control distance and tempo, so his skills and style control the tempo and fight.

I hear both Lara and Alvarez are in terrific shape with their sparring, so it should be a good scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimoshogun View Post
    No gift decision or robbery needed here...Canelo wins convincingly, landing the bigger shots and scoring a couple knockdowns along the way.
    Bingo. My feelings exactly. Solid ref,solid judges. Canelo will simply outwork Lara, who will be too defensive-minded. Canelo should win comfortably (by four or five points).

I will be watching. Will most likely be giving a round-by-round breakdown here on a new Canelo-Lara thread.

-Randy G.

Once again another fight that anyone could win. The outcome either way unless by early knockout will not surprise me. Lara got dropped not once but twice against Angulo, who is a lion with a lot of heart but not someone who is a great fighter. Canelo has his issues too with stamina and it is hard to get it out of my mind how he looked ordinary, very ordinary against Mayweather. I think he learned by that experience to pick up the pace and he will have to, to get it done and legitimately win this fight in the way that he needs to. The key will be body shots, jabs, conditioning and pacing. I think he has enough of these to get the decision. Canelo UD

My excitement's building commissioner, fast forward us a few hours and get that thread goin!