English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Very Own PxP Ratings...a TSS Exclusive

Our Very Own PxP Ratings...a TSS Exclusive

I think it's time we had our very own PxP Ratings: The TSS Top-10 PxP. Post yours up here by 11:59pm, Sunday, July 13. I will compile the ratings, giving 10 points for a first-place vote, nine for a second-place vote, eight for a third-place vote, right down to 1 point for a 10th place vote.

If you are going to do it, don't give me just your top 3. In order to be compiled, 10 names must be listed. You guys know your boxing better than anybody. It's time TSS had a representative list of the best PxP fighters. Yahoo Sports used to do this list, but their outstanding boxing writer--Kevin Iole--said it was tough getting guys to send in their ratings by the deadline date. Let's show everyone we can do it. Without further ado, here's my list of the Top-10 PxP:

1. Floyd Mayweather
    2. Andre Ward
    3. Manny Pacquiao
    4. Gennady Golovkin
    5. Wladimir Klitschko
    6. Mikey Garcia
    7. Guillermo Rigondeaux
    8. Sergei Kovalev
    9. Vasyl Lomachenko
    10. Leo Santa Cruz

-Randy G.

Re: Our Very Own PxP Ratings...a TSS Exclusive

[QUOTE=The Commish;57485]I think it's time we had our very own PxP Ratings: The TSS Top-10 PxP. Post yours up here by 11:59pm, Sunday, July 13. I will compile the ratings, giving 10 points for a first-place vote, nine for a second-place vote, eight for a third-place vote, right down to 1 point for a 10th place vote.

If you are going to do it, don't give me just your top 3. In order to be compiled, 10 names must be listed. You guys know your boxing better than anybody. It's time TSS had a representative list of the best PxP fighters. Yahoo Sports used to do this list, but their outstanding boxing writer--Kevin Iole--said it was tough getting guys to send in their ratings by the deadline date. Let's show everyone we can do it. Without further ado, here's my list of the Top-10 PxP:

1. Floyd Mayweather
    2. Andre Ward
    3. Manny Pacquiao
    4. Gennady Golovkin
    5. Wladimir Klitschko
    6. Mikey Garcia
    7. Guillermo Rigondeaux
    8. Sergei Kovalev
    9. Vasyl Lomachenko
    10. Leo Santa Cruz

Some of you may been putting the winner of the Canelo Alvarez-Erislandy Lara fight into your Top 10, and holding off doing the ratings until right after the fight.

DON'T hold off doing that, although some may not even see this post until after the fight, then send in their list immediately afterwards.

Compile your lists ASAP. Our list will note that some of the ratings may or may not have been tallied AFTER the Alvarez-Lara fight. If we do the lists once a month, they are sure to be reflective of recent major victories.

-Randy G.

Advanced Users

[QUOTE=The Commish;57486]
    Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    I think it's time we had our very own PxP Ratings: The TSS Top-10 PxP. Post yours up here by 11:59pm, Sunday, July 13. I will compile the ratings, giving 10 points for a first-place vote, nine for a second-place vote, eight for a third-place vote, right down to 1 point for a 10th place vote.

1. Floyd Mayweather
    2. Andre Ward
    3. Manny Pacquiao
    4. Gennady Golovkin
    5. Wladimir Klitschko
    6. Mikey Garcia
    7. Guillermo Rigondeaux
    8. Sergei Kovalev
    9. Vasyl Lomachenko
    10. Leo Santa Cruz

Some of you may been putting the winner of the Canelo Alvarez-Erislandy Lara fight into your Top 10, and holding off doing the ratings until right after the fight.

DON'T hold off doing that, although some may not even see this post until after the fight, then send in their list immediately afterwards.

Compile your lists ASAP. Our list will note that some of the ratings may or may not have been tallied AFTER the Alvarez-Lara fight. If we do the lists once a month, they are sure to be reflective of recent major victories.

-Randy G.
    My top five list is: 1. Money May, 2. Da Manny, 3. Cuban Willie Rigo, 4. B-Hop, 5. SOG Ward. Ward has been too inactive. He's had one bout in two years. He barely edged Mickey G out of my top five. Holla!

1. Floyd Mayweather
    2. Andre Ward
    3. Manny Pacquiao
    4. Gennady Golovkin
    5. Wladimir Klitschko
    6. Mikey Garcia
    7. Guillermo Rigondeaux
    8. Sergei Kovalev
    9. Vasyl Lomachenko
    10. Leo Santa Cruz

-Randy G.

Great idea, Commish. Here's my 10 p4p.

1) Money May

2) Andre Ward

3) Manny Pacquiao

4) B-Hop

5)Guillermo Rigondeuz

6) Juan Manuel Marquez

7) Mikey Garcia

8) W. Klitschko

9) GGG

10) Roman "Chocalatito" Gonzales

I'm fine with your list Commish..... It encompasses a well reasoned variety of proven champs and fighters with can't-miss proven P4P potential.

If I made a list it would probably resemble the list you crafted, only it would probably fluctuate between a couple of other names....every other day.... Due to the subjective nature of such a list.

I don't personally think either Lara or Canelo have established themselves as pound for pound champs.

Lara struggled with an inactive Carlos Molina and a good but not very special Vanes Martyirosyan. I'd pick Demetri Andrade over both Canelo and Lara.

Similarly Canelo is also lacking P4P credibility..... He made his name off of juniorwelters and retired relics. Not to mention the fact that he was shut out by a natural Junior Welterweight in Las Vegas.

Let's check on their development in twelve months.

I think at least one of the Charlo brothers may make the list within two years and Rance Barthelemy should be a candidate within the same period.

Meanwhile who can say who will emerge from the hotbed of welterweight talent as a potential P4P candidate? Requirements will demand in a year or two from now that the very large and vacant shoes of Pacquiao and Mayweather must needs be filled. It'll be fun to find out who will inherent the 147 P4P crown.

I received an in-box note from someone this morning whose name I won't mention. Basically, the note said that they were embarrassed to post their PxP list because of fear of possible ridicule or rejection from other posters. They said they'd rather give the list to me without everyone else seeing it.

I get it. I understand.

It's the reason thousands of people read these posts daily, but only dozens will post something. It's that fear of being made fun of, the fear of being laughed AT, rather than WITH. The person who in-boxed me said they'd rather just give me their PxP list without having it--in their words, "scrutinized, analyzed and criticized by everybody."

Again, I get it. I understand.

However, your list is important--just as important as anybody else's. We want your list. We NEED your list. Don't hold back. Compile your list and, if you are like the person who in-boxed me, apprehensive about putting your list out there for everyone to see, in-box me with your list. I will keep it to myself. I will look at it and compile it with the rest. I'll respect you for sending it. I'll thank you for sending it.

Brownsugar, I totally understand where you are coming from. It's that fluctuation which bothers you. You can do a list today, then, if asked two days later to recite the 10 names you crafted, you'd probably have the same names--in a different order.

But listen to this: As I think you know, I worked for Ring Magazine once upon a time. The Ring. "The Bible of Boxing." When I was in high school, I wanted to one day work for The Ring. I wanted to write for them. I wanted to work for their founder and the guy who started doing ratings--Nat Fleischer. Well, I never got to work for Nat, but I did get to work for The Ring. At first, I was its Associate Editor under Bert R. Sugar, then, after Sugar left, it's Editor-in-Chief. Me! This Long Island high school kid who clamored to work for The Ring was now its Editor-in-Chief. I actually sat at the helm of The Ring!

Yet, in the time I spent as Editor-in-Chief and in the years which have followed, I have NEVER put together my own listing All-Time lists: The Greatest Fighters of All Time. The Greatest Heavyweights of All Time. All the other E-I-C's of The Ring have done so. I haven't. Why?

I couldn't put together the same list twice. However, I don't believe any of us can. That's for a Top-10. Do you think Bert Sugar, in his listing of the Top 100 Fighters of All Time, ever put the same list together twice, without writing it down? Even with his amazing, photographic memory, he didn't. Nobody can. So many of the names are interchangeable. That's what makes these lists so unique.

In my upcoming book, "Glove Affair," I am finally going to be publishing my lists. Many of them. It's about time I did.

Brownsugar, in-box me your ratings or e-mail them to me at either rgboxing@yahoo.com or fightclubrandy@gmail.com. I will keep your ratings to myself. I'll only compile them for TSS. Write your list down and send it to me. I don't care if the list you send me today differs from the one you compile tomorrow. Ratings are always changing. So are your thoughts and feelings. Today's ratings will probably not be like the ratings you do tomorrow...and the day after...and the day after.

So give me your list. Give it to me out here in front of the world of TSS posters or give it to me via my TSS in-box or e-mail. All of you. Do those PxP Lists NOW. Write 'em down and send 'em to me.

I can hardly wait to see what our final list looks like. OUR list. Not theirs. OURS! TSS' list, compiled by you.

Thanks for responding.

-Randy G.

Advanced Users

I received an in-box note from someone this morning whose name I won't mention. Basically, the note said that they were embarrassed to post their PxP list because of fear of possible ridicule or rejection from other posters. They said they'd rather give the list to me without everyone else seeing it.

I get it. I understand.

It's the reason thousands of people read these posts daily, but only dozens will post something. It's that fear of being made fun of, the fear of being laughed AT, rather than WITH. The person who in-boxed me said they'd rather just give me their PxP list without having it--in their words, "scrutinized, analyzed and criticized by everybody."

Again, I get it. I understand.

However, your list is important--just as important as anybody else's. We want your list. We NEED your list. Don't hold back. Compile your list and, if you are like the person who in-boxed me, apprehensive about putting your list out there for everyone to see, in-box me with your list. I will keep it to myself. I will look at it and compile it with the rest. I'll respect you for sending it. I'll thank you for sending it.

Brownsugar, I totally understand where you are coming from. It's that fluctuation which bothers you. You can do a list today, then, if asked two days later to recite the 10 names you crafted, you'd probably have the same names--in a different order.

But listen to this: As I think you know, I worked for Ring Magazine once upon a time. The Ring. "The Bible of Boxing." When I was in high school, I wanted to one day work for The Ring. I wanted to write for them. I wanted to work for their founder and the guy who started doing rastings--Nat Fleischer. Well, I never got to work for Nat, but I did get to work for The Ring. At first, I was its Associate Editor under Bert R. Sugar, then, after Sugar left, it's Editor-in-Chief. Me! This Long Island high school kid who clamored to work for The Ring was now its Editor-in-Chief. I actually sat at the helm of The Ring!

Yet, in the time I spent as Editor-in-Chief and in the years which have followed, I have NEVER put together my own listing All-Time lists: The Greatest Fighters of All Time. The Greatest Heavyweights of All Time. All the other E-I-C's of The Ring have done so. I haven't. Why?

I couldn't put together the same list twice. However, I don't believe any of us can. That's for a Top-10. Do you think Bert Sugar, in his listing of the Top 100 Fighters of All Time, ever put the same list together twice, without writing it down? Even with his amazing, photographic memory, he didn't. Nobody can. So many of the names are interchangeable. That's what makes these lists so unique.

In my upcoming book, "Glove Affair," I am finally going to be publishing my lists. Many of them. It's about time I did.

Brownsugar, in-box me your ratings or e-mail them to me at either rgboxing@yahoo.com or fightclubrandy@gmail.com. I will keep your ratings to myself. I'll only compile them for TSS. Write your list down and send it to me. I don't care if the list you send me today differs from the one you compile tomorrow. Ratings are always changing. So are your thoughts and feelings. Today's ratings will probably not be like the ratings you do tomorrow...and the day after...and the day after.

So give me your list. Give it to me out here in front of the world of TSS posters or give it to me via my TSS in-box or e-mail. All of you. Do those PxP Lists NOW. Write 'em down and send 'em to me.

I can hardly wait to see what our final list looks like. OUR list. Not theirs. OURS! TSS' list, compiled by you.

Thanks for responding.

-Randy G.
    Wow! Boxing is a take-no-prisoner sport. One must be as tough as nails and take a stance. That is how you get respect. Never worry about somebody mocking you for your list of anything. To each his own.

We were all born our own life, and we are going to die our own death. Nevermind ridiculed or rejection. Nobody can die for you, so let nobody live for you or control your opinion. Everybody has an arse and an opinion. You start letting them control your opinion, they have control of your arse.

Be YOU! That is why we have had the peeps in this sport that have changed and "shook up da world!" Holla!

1. Mayweather
    2. Pac
    3. Klitchko
    4. Froch
    5. Ward
    6. Garcia
    7. Rigo
    8. Golovkin
    9. Kovelev
    10. Lomachenko

Top 10 All Time
    1. Harry Greb
    2. Sugar Ray Robinson
    3. Rocky Marciano
    4. Jack Johnson
    5. Bob Fitzsimmons
    6. Sam Langford
    7. Mickey Walker
    8. Jack Dempsey
    9. John L Sullivan
    10. Joe Louis

Here is my current list:

1. Mayweather
    2. Golovkin
    3. Ward
    4. Rigondeaux
    5. Pacquiao
    6. Klitschko
    7. Bradley
    8. Marquez
    9. Kovalev
    10. Mikey Garcia

Administrator

Now the Commish is handing out homework assignments. I always used to do these the night before. I still owe Editor Mike my all-time top ten. OK, I better get a choppin'.

@Radam. The Man says he needs ten and you give him five? Are you sure you're not that brilliant/insane Filipino kid that sat next to me in 5th grade at Our Lady of Loreto? The one who, had he answered the questions that were asked of him in their entirety, would of helped both our grades?