English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am going with Lara

I am going with Lara

It's under one week until fight night. Canelo is the betting favorite at -170. Lara is +140. Canelo has many many many fans. Lara is well known by boxing junkies like us and not too many more. I am actually surprised Canelo is not favored even more on the money line due to all his fans that will bet on him.

Lara is head and shoulders a better boxer than Canelo but so was Meldrick Taylor vs Chavez . That is the unknown . Can Canelo cut off the ring and clip Lara? It's possible . Canelo wanted the fight and took it even though he did not have to. That says something about him. I respect him for it. Wanting something in boxing and actually pulling it off are two different things. I expect a great fight.

My friend just gave me a box of Hoyo De Monterrey Petit Robusto straight from Cuba. It's a good sign and I'm picking Lara.

Advanced Users

Re: I am going with Lara

I'm calling it a draw. Or a split or gift decision for Canelo. If you think Lara got robbed when he fought Paul Williams a few years ago, you haven't see JACK. Or all that for money in a brown paper sack. Holla!

Lara can't win by running circles around Canelo in fronting of a majority Mexican crowd on Canelo's turf even if he beats Canelo by a decent margins on the compubox count.

If Canelo lands anything conspicuous... Or gets Lara hurt or gets a knock down. He's guaranteed to win

They will call it effective aggression.

A hometown crowd is better than electorial votes in a presidential election.

Lara has to win big to against Canelo if he's going to receive credit for it.

Fighting the whole fight from the outside won't cut it in Canelo-land.
    Last edited by brownsugar; 07-07-2014 at 06:43 AM.

I hear all of you when you talk about hometown decisions. It's been the history of our sport. However, in Nevada, there is a new sheriff in town and his name is Bob Bennett. He is the new Executive Director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission. He is a former licensed judge in Nevada, as well *** a former Special Prosecutor for the FBI. From everything I have heard about him, he is a super nice guy...until he's not. Heaven help you if you're the one to anger him or cross him.

The officials he chose for the Alvarez-Lara fight are:

Referee--Robert Byrd
    Judges--Jerry Roth (Nevada), Dave Moretti (Nevada) and Levi Martinez (New Mexico)

FYI--Levi Martinez is a solid judge. He recently worked the Terence Crawfor-Yuri Gamboa and Matt Korobov-Jose Uzcategui fights in Omaha. He also was the judge who had Vasyl Lomachenko (V-Lo) over Orlando Salido, 115-113 in V-Lo's split decision loss. He also was a judge in the Marcos Maidana beatdown of Adrien Broner.

Alvarez-Lara may be wind up in a close decision on Saturday. I have a feeling that if it is close, the judges are gonna' get it right.

-Randy G.

One of the reason this is such an interesting fight is that that boxing community seems split on whom they think will win. People who are in Lara's corner have their valid reasons and people in Canelo's corner have their valid reasons.

I happen to fall in the Canelo corner myself.

Lara likes to dictate pace and tempo. His best two performances were against fighters that allowed him to do so in Paul Williams and Austin Trout. However, when Lara faces a fighter that will push tempo and pressure him some he feels uncomfortable. He does not let his hands go as often and can be hit.

Carlos Molina, Vanes Martirosyan and Alfredo Angulo all applied some sort of pressure and did not allow Lara to fight at his pace. I thought the light hitting Molina won, the Martirosyan fight could have gone either way and Lara was having it rough against Angulo (including being dropped twice) until Angulo's eye blew up in round 10.

Another key element from those fights...Lara was easily hit with the straight right hand and left hook to the body. Molina was racking him with those punches all night, if only he hit harder. Angulo did catch Lara, hurt him and drop him.

I think Canelo has much faster hands than those three listed above and also hits harder. Canelo also throws an excellent straight right hand and his left hook to the body is his best punch.

I see Canelo physically and mentally breaking down Lara round by round. Lara will not be allowed to fight at his pace as Canelo will press the fight from the opening bell. Canelo will find Lara an easy target for the straight right and left hook to the body. Lara will get frustrated as he takes more and more punches round after round. I see Lara getting broken down and stopped by the sixth round in a dominating performance by Canelo.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    I hear all of you when you talk about hometown decisions. It's been the history of our sport. However, in Nevada, there is a new sheriff in town and his name is Bob Bennett. He is the new Executive Director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission. He is a former licensed judge in Nevada, as well *** a former Special Prosecutor for the FBI. From everything I have heard about him, he is a super nice guy...until he's not. Heaven help you if you're the one to anger him or cross him.

The officials he chose for the Alvarez-Lara fight are:

Referee--Robert Byrd
    Judges--Jerry Roth (Nevada), Dave Moretti (Nevada) and Levi Martinez (New Mexico)

FYI--Levi Martinez is a solid judge. He recently worked the Terence Crawfor-Yuri Gamboa and Matt Korobov-Jose Uzcategui fights in Omaha. He also was the judge who had Vasyl Lomachenko (V-Lo) over Orlando Salido, 115-113 in V-Lo's split decision loss. He also was a judge in the Marcos Maidana beatdown of Adrien Broner.

Alvarez-Lara may be wind up in a close decision on Saturday. I have a feeling that if it is close, the judges are gonna' get it right.

-Randy G.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Commish.

I wasn't even going discuss the fight in strategic terms knowing how much clout the all powerful Canelo wields in the burgeoning Hispanic market place.
    I still feel that even the good people involved in this event are not completely immune to the financial forces who have a stake in Canelo's potentially lucrative future.

There will still be a large crowd in support of Canelo.
    I can't imagine the crowd erupting in a chant for "Cuba, Cuba".

But if you are even half right .....which I hope you are... I could imagine a decent verdict that doesn't smack of the travesty that occurred in the Austin Trout fight where the late Suleiman allegedly had Canelo's pre engraved WBC championship belt already prepared before the ridiculously one-sided pro-Canelo decision was announced in Texas.

When it comes down to just boxing. Lara has the far better sparring (against the Charlo twins), the far better mobility and the far better experience. If he can stay on his feet I believe he should win decisively.

Lara has no uniqueness about him, he's a standardish southpaw and we all know how they can be beat. Fast hands and fast feet won't matter with the right tactics in mind.

Canelo will likely have a moving target in front of him the first 3-4 rounds, and he should expect to lose the majority of those early ones, his task in those rounds isn't to chase his opponent around the ring but to tangle with him, use his superior strength and physicality to fling him around the room and even onto the canvas - you know he's not going to get points deducted. After some roughing up he will have his man where he wants him fighting more of a fight he's after. Keep moving to his left with Lara wrestle him around the ring, a la Tszyu.

Next, he gives him those lethal body shots he's so good at and start trying to lower those elbows of Lara. Once they start to drop he can come right over the top with is powerful backhand and drill the suspect chin of the Cuban. Let's not forgot Lara's hands drop a lot when he throws and that will cost him against Canelo. It's unbelievable how many left hooks Angulo hit Lara with to the body, and unthinkable that he knocked this amateur standout down twice in their fight. He can either sink him down below or nail him up top - Lara isn't a defensive wizard by a long stretch.

Alvarez has fought the best boxer around today, and although he lost that was the best thing to happened to him. He was schooled by a master and he learned his lesson. Look at fighters who have taken their first loss only to come back better in every sense. They realise that the product isn't complete and work toward improving themselves further. Canelo has no doubt done that and it will show in this fight.

I'm going with Saul Alvarez TKO in the late rounds.

Lara is good but he is not special.

Canelo has too much firepower and will beat Lara by landing the harder more effective shots.

Lara has better speed,better footwork, a better jab and throws more punches per round. Canelo throws less then Hopkins it seems like. The judges and crowd will reward Canelo for coming forward whether he lands or not. If its close I see the nod going to Canelo. I don't think it will be that close but I do expect a great fight.

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    Lara has better speed,better footwork, a better jab and throws more punches per round. Canelo throws less then Hopkins it seems like. The judges and crowd will reward Canelo for coming forward whether he lands or not. If its close I see the nod going to Canelo. I don't think it will be that close but I do expect a great fight.
    Yes this is what I mean. Lara will outbox him but the judges will give the rounds to Canelo for the more effective shots, even though he will get out worked big time on punch count.