English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Just Amazing!

Advanced Users

Just Amazing!

It is often said that "Boxing is the theatre of the unexpected." But boxing is also the theatre of where most of its popular maxims find their ways into popular culture.

A few that comes to mind are:

"Is it the Real McCoy?" "It doesn't take a rocket scientist." "I'll murda' da bum!" "It's a T-K-O!" "I did it for love." "Somebody up there loves me." "This is 'cause I love my momma!" "I love ya, Adrian!" "You did it, Rocky!" "...$hock da WIRLLLLDD [$¡¢]!" "Bum rush him!" "The Bum of the Month Club." "Down for da count!" "Out like a light." "Goodnight, Sweet Prince!" "He fudged him up!" "Throw in da towel." And the list goes on and on.

Want you cats name some boxing maxims that are now in popular culture. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 07-05-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Re: Just Amazing!

Lets start with the most popular one today:

"I'd first like to thank Al Haymon."

I know its not modern culture now but with how much its repeated who knows what the future holds.

For modern culture, lets take an old Don King saying "Only in America."
    Last edited by oubobcat; 07-05-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    Lets start with the most popular one today:

"I'd first like to thank Al Haymon."

I know its not modern culture now but with how much its repeated who knows what the future holds.

For modern culture, lets take an old Don King saying "Only in America."
    Nice!

"I like to thank God First....None of this will be possible without Him...." This is the famous sentence before tsAH jive rolls in. Hehe! Holla!

Probably the prolific references would be the multitude of phrases related to the "Corner". " The Corner" as it refers to being revived between rounds and receiving instruction for success has been used in a variety of songs, books and popular movies. The variations are endless, "I need you in my corner" ...." I can do anything with you in my corner".... Etc..... The corner has been exalted to the ultimate place for consoltation and recovery... It has been even been associated with places of spirituality like the church and the emergency room where critical life sustaining surgical repairs are made.
    The corner has literally become synonymous as the ultimate place of rest and renewal.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Probably the prolific references would be the multitude of phrases related to the "Corner". " The Corner" as it refers to being revived between rounds and receiving instruction for success has been used in a variety of songs, books and popular movies. The variations are endless, "I need you in my corner" ...." I can do anything with you in my corner".... Etc..... The corner has been exalted to the ultimate place for consoltation and recovery... It has been even been associated with places of spirituality like the church and the emergency room where critical life sustaining surgical repairs are made.
    The corner has literally become synonymous as the ultimate place of rest and renewal.
    Wow! You killed it. People have literally conducted mayhem and murder on others to "work da corner." Ninety-five percent of the breakups in boxing is because someone wanted to "work da corner," but was not allowed to and felt dissed.

WTF! I can recall those nuns whuppin' my outta-control-teenage arse back in da day hollering: "Diyos Es mi tabi!" -- "God Is In my Corner!" And Imma believe that. Talking about and is from "da corner" is da BOMB! Or will get you bombed.

I feel those lightning tiny fists, slaps, backhands and feet going upside my noggin and into my belly and arse right now just by reminiscing about that make-and-break, save-my-arse-for-God's Sake period.

Wow! No doubt that maxims coming from pugilism is awesome. "Your arms are too short to box with God." And my arse was too small not to STFU when Sisters Maribeth, Teresita and Lodivinia said to.

Corner, corner, corner, corner, corner! That is what I get for bringing up boxing maxims carving up popular culture. Holla!

" rollin' with the punches"..."down and out for the count"..."taking it on the chin" Hmmmm..I can probably think of more in Spanish!

Quote Originally Posted by flackoguapo View Post
    " rollin' with the punches"..."down and out for the count"..."taking it on the chin" Hmmmm..I can probably think of more in Spanish!
    Good one....especially the "chin" and out for the COUNT references.

"And now, for the thousands in attendance and the millions watching around the world: LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLLLLLLLLLE!"

Those last five five words have made Michael Buffer the richest man in boxing...yep, richer than Don King, Bob Arum and $$$May.

-Randy G.

Advanced Users

Rich in moolah or talent? Hehe! He's definitely better known than da Bobfather or da Don K. Holla!

"And still!"