English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex Golden Boy-er Binkow Hired By Mayweather

Ex Golden Boy-er Binkow Hired By Mayweather

Gentlemen, start your engines of speculation. News is out that Bruce Binkow, recently having left his office at Golden Boy Promotions, on the heels of the departure of day-to-day boss Richard Schaefer, has been brought aboard Mayweather Promotions. In and of itself, that news is probably only interesting to hardcore fanatics who follow the goings-on within the second largest promotional outfit in the sphere...but it could give clues as to how other chips may fall in this period of transition at GBP, and the entities where some ex GBP people might land.
    With Binkow at Mayweathers' company, does that mean that Schaefer will be hopping aboard with him shortly? With De La Hoya and Schaefer in the middle of an arbitration logjam, with Oscar having launched a broadside at ex pal Schaefer, to the tune of a $50 million requested for damages, no one seems to know Schaefers' status...will he stay in the boxing sphere? Would he be able to, under terms of his Golden Boy contract, be allowed to work for another company, now, or in the near future? Yes, there are more questions than clues...and we have more...can we assume that Mayweather Promotions, now apparaently getting beefed up, will promote Floyd's next fight, on Sept. 13? That seems a safe bet, does it not?
    Here is the release which went out today on the Binkow news:

MAYWEATHER PROMOTIONS RETAINS MARKETING EXECUTIVE BRUCE BINKOW AS SPONSORSHIP AND SALES CONSULTANT

Las Vegas (July 2) –Mayweather Promotionshas retained the services of marketing executiveBruce Binkowto consult on sponsorship, sales and marketing for the Las Vegas-based promotional company. Binkow has extensive experience in the sports marketing industry and is the former COO and CMO of Golden Boy Promotions.
    Feel free to offer your guesses or informed speculation or insider tips on where some of the other chips fall, friends. I can tell you I spoke to a person at Barclays Center today, and it doesn't seem like there is anything to the rumor that any sort of plan is in motion to stage a Floyd fight in NY in September. Weigh in, in our Fabulous Forum...

Re: Ex Golden Boy-er Binkow Hired By Mayweather

Mayweather Promotions is in the final stages of obtaining a New York promotional licence.
    The process of obtaining a promoters license is an extremely rigorous process requiring intensive investigation of the requestors financial records including a review of the last two years of Mayweathers tax records.

Leonard Ellerbe says TMT has to be able to license its boxers in places other than Las Vegas in order to properly groom and cultivate its growing pool of fledgling prospects.

There are rumors that Floyd may fight there if he can stave off the stern challenge of the supernaturally motivated Marcos Maidana.

Floyd versus Cotto in NewYork for the middleweight title would be as huge (almost)as a fight against his earnstwhile nemisis Manny Pacquiao.

As always.....more will be revealed.
    Last edited by brownsugar; 07-02-2014 at 11:51 PM.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Mayweather Promotions is in the final stages of obtaining a New York promotional licence.
    The process of obtaining a promoters license is an extremely rigorous process requiring intensive investigation of the requestors financial records including a review of the last two years of Mayweathers tax records.

Leonard Ellerbe says TMT has to be able to license its boxers in places other than Las Vegas in order to properly groom and cultivate its growing pool of fledgling prospects.

There are rumors that Floyd may fight there if he can stave off the stern challenge of the supernaturally motivated Marcos Maidana.

Floyd versus Cotto in NewYork for the middleweight title would be as huge (almost)as a fight against his earnstwhile nemisis Manny Pacquiao.

I'm with you on a Money May versus M-Co Bout being a huge monster. It would be the biggest outside fight of this century IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    I'm with you on a Money May versus M-Co Bout being a Don't monster. It would be the biggest outside fight of this century IMHO.
    And with Canelo reclaiming the Mexican hollidays in May and Sept, Floyd has no choice but to make the biggest possible fights he can make.

That O might have to go....challenge Pacquiao Yo. If you can't get Cotto.
    Or surrender those dates to Canelo.

Advanced Users

And with Canelo reclaiming the Mexican hollidays in May and Sept, Floyd has no choice but to make the biggest possible fights he can make.

That O might have to go....challenge Pacquiao Yo. If you can't get Cotto.
    Or surrender those dates to Canelo.
    Nice! I woulda' said that too. Hehehe! Sometimes you have to rhyme to make people see the time. Hehehe! Holla!

I have been wondering if this is what is holding up the official announcement of Mayweather-Maidana. It would not surprise me one bit to see TMT try something new and take the fight to NY. If they are not working with Golden Boy, then either they need to find someone else to work with or stage the show on their own. Of course in order to do so on their own, they need the promoter's license.

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    I have been wondering if this is what is holding up the official announcement of Mayweather-Maidana. It would not surprise me one bit to see TMT try something new and take the fight to NY. If they are not working with Golden Boy, then either they need to find someone else to work with or stage the show on their own. Of course in order to do so on their own, they need the promoter's license.
    Good sluething Oubobcat, I think TMT knows they have to up the ante with the increasing number of PPV fights being solicited around the clock. ...a change in venue could help......Leonard Ellerbe and Oscar has recently said the door still remains open for business for both companies so I wouldnt totally rule out minimal involvement from GB... But I think the NY move may not materialize until May 2015. I would hope I'm wrong about this... I'd love to see how the big Apple would receive Mayweather vs Maidana at MSG...

I don't think Floyd will leave Vegas. Floyd pretty much tells the NSAC what to do. The Commission rules that Chino's gloves are legal and approved ,Floyd says they aren't and the NSAC just says OK . I think the NY license is to get Love and Smith and the young guns on the cards up in Verona and at Barclay Center.

Is Binkow now a consultant , an adviser or a CMO? Sure seems like a lot of advisers in the boxing game these days.

Floyd is just like Sinatra in Vegas. He does it his way.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    I don't think Floyd will leave Vegas. Floyd pretty much tells the NSAC what to do. The Commission rules that Chino's gloves are legal and approved ,Floyd says they aren't and the NSAC just says OK . I think the NY license is to get Love and Smith and the young guns on the cards up in Verona and at Barclay Center.

Is Binkow now a consultant , an adviser or a CMO? Sure seems like a lot of advisers in the boxing game these days.

Great point! Wow! I see that the Money May's optical illusions and tricks of the trade can feint you. NYET! Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 07-03-2014 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post

There's documentation to prove you're right about Floyd not leaving Vegas. Straight out of the horse's mouth, as he told his boy Ben Thompson during the FloydHype.com interview (http://www.fighthype.com/news/article15896.html):

BT: There's also been some rumblings about you possibly fighting in New York. Is there any chance of that happening in the near future?

FM: The MGM Grand is the mecca of boxing. No disrespect to New York City or Madison Square Garden, because it's always been one of my dreams to fight in New York City at Madison Square Garden, but when you fight at the MGM Grand, that's the mecca of boxing. You get to come out to Las Vegas and you get to go see the shows on The Strip, you get to shop late, you get to go to strip clubs. We got a very, very diverse variety of night clubs. You get to party; you get to do a little bit of everything when you come out to Las Vegas. I'm not going nowhere and fighting where everything closes at 2 AM. When you come to Las Vegas for a Mayweather fight, it's an event. You just don't know who you're going to meet at a Mayweather fight. And believe me, it's nothing but a building full of A, B, and C-listers, and all I'm doing every fight is constantly breaking my own records. Whoever I'm fighting coming up in May, I'ma pay myself whatever I want to pay myself, but you best believe it will never be under $32 million. My guarantee will never be under $32 million; never! You gotta realize, I go to other countries just to shake hands for a 6-figure check.

So yeah, I agree that the NY promoter's license is most likely to promote his stable, not himself. Besides, doesn't NY ban the use of xylocaine for his brittle hands while the NSAC gives him an exception?

But then again, that interview was at the beginning of this year, and the shakeup at GoldenBoy has occurred since then. It raises questions about his MGM reservations on the Mexican holidays. Does anyone know if it's true that it's actually GoldenBoy that's contracted for those dates at the MGM, not Floyd? And is Floyd still adamant about following Richard Schaeffer's lead and loyally disassociating himself from GoldenBoy? And if those two points are true, wouldn't that mean he'd have to find another venue as well as promoter?

So many questions surrounding "the smartest" (as he told his brothers and sisters in the Motherland/South Africa press conference, when asked about legacy) boxer ever. So many questions because you never know what to trust or believe what's coming out of his mouth (as well as what's NOT coming out). The internet is so full of evidence documenting his lies, contradictions, hypocrisy, duplicity and statements he makes to perpetuate the illusion that he's TBE. I have to hand it to him, he truly is cunningly smart enough to perpetuate his fraudulent illusion...enough so that he continues to con the fans into parting with their money, making him the highest paid athlete at the moment. He & Al Hymen are laughing all the way to the bank, being so successful in their business agenda of scoring the maximum pay for the least amount of risk.