English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: COMMISSIONER'S CORNER: Love For Bud, Our Man Harold, And Mayflower-Merriweather

Re: COMMISSIONER'S CORNER: Love For Bud, Our Man Harold, And Mayflower-Merriweather

That show was a tough sell for that particular area. I admire her for trying to put on shows in Western NY on a consistent basis. As with anything, there is trail and error and I think the important thing for her to take from that Buffalo show is to keep in mind that local fighters sell local shows. She had very few local fighters on the show and that hurt attendance.

As you know, I am a die hard. I absolutely loved the main event on that card between Jonathan Gonzalez and Mike Ruiz. It was a solid fight on paper and was an excellent competitive fight in the ring. The problem...they had no Buffalo or Western NY roots as one was from Puerto Rico and the other Mexico. The Cruiserweight co-feature fight as well did not feature fighters from the area.

I do see that she is planning a Rochester show in August (you know I will be there). I am also hearing that she is concentrating on getting local fighters on the show. Its in the early stages but is setting up to be a good card full of local fights and decent fights if it comes off. I think she learned from the Buffalo show and ultimately that will help her succeed in the future. I am pulling for her as I am moving to the area and would absolutely love to see boxing events on a consistent basis.
    Last edited by oubobcat; 07-01-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Re: COMMISSIONER'S CORNER: Love For Bud, Our Man Harold, And Mayflower-Merriweather

That was a big lesson for Ms. Simmons to learn in Buffalo--local fighters sell tickets. I agree that the main event was a very enjoyable fight, but it meant nothing in terms of ticket sales.

I am hoping her Rochester card does fantastic. Packed house! If she does decent, I know she'll run again...and again.

To me, Rochester means going to "Bathtub Billy's" after the fights for the best "wings" I have ever had (and also a chance to hang with Willie Monroe Jr.).

-Randy G.

Canelo
    Tim Bradley
    Juan Manuel Marquez
    Bernard Hopkins

Definitely belong in the P4P top 10 in the world...

Advanced Users

My top super five are: 1. Money May, 2. B-Hop, 3. Da Manny, 4. Willie Rigo, 5. SOG Ward. Holla!

Cheers to the professional opponents. what away to make a living! The one guy Buckley from England was= won 32 (KO 8) + lost 256 (KO 10) . He only got stopped 10 times in 256 losses. That is impressive. He finally hung it up when they let him fight a 0-1 guy and he won.
    As long as these guys don't take beatings and finish on their feet why not let em keep going.

If a fighter has been stopped only 10 times in 256 losses, that means 246 times he has gone the distance in those losses. The question is, how many punches did he take in those 246 decisions as compared to the 10 when he was stopped. In distance fights, a lot more punches are thrown.

A lot more are landed, too. Two hundred eight-eight pro fights is an awful lot of fights, even if most are four-rounders.

Is the BBBofC really regulating boxing by letting these opponents climb in the ring?

-Randy G.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    Cheers to the professional opponents. what away to make a living! The one guy Buckley from England was= won 32 (KO 8) + lost 256 (KO 10) . He only got stopped 10 times in 256 losses. That is impressive. He finally hung it up when they let him fight a 0-1 guy and he won.
    As long as these guys don't take beatings and finish on their feet why not let em keep going.
    Amen! Buckley literally got robbed at least 30 fights that I saw with my own eyes. The youngish him was the British Emmanuel Augustus of boxing. Just thought of as a stepping stone, a trial horse and a piece of tough-testing meat. Holla!