English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Other Weekend Results: Shannon Briggs Wins Again and Glen Johnson Loses

Other Weekend Results: Shannon Briggs Wins Again and Glen Johnson Loses

Shannon Briggs was back in action this weekend and came out victorious once again. This time however he went the full 12 rounds.

According to reports, Briggs almost had his opponent Raphael Zumbano Love knocked out in the first round. But Love survived and reportedly went into a very defensive posture for most of the night. Briggs scored two official knockdowns in the fight and won a unanimous decision.

I have only located one video so far and it only had about one minute of action of Briggs wailing on Zumbano. The video I saw showed Shannon Briggs wailing away at Zumbano with wild shots and Zumbano just covering up.

Interesting fact about Briggs...This was his first decision win since he "beat" George Foreman by majority decision on 1997.

Briggs is staying active and trying to get himself a big fight. With the heavyweight division so void of opponents and names, he is certain to get his crack at somebody. Just who that will be remains to be seen. But I would not rule out the likes of David Haye (as has been mentioned a few times before on here), winner of Fury-Chisora or winner of Chagaev-Oquendo this weekend which is unfortunately for a heavyweight belt.

On another weekend note, Glen Johnson was TKO'd in the ninth round by Ilunga Makabu.

I only hope that this is once and for all the end of the line for the Road Warrior. Johnson was one of my favorite fighters and its sad to see him go out this way. I had the honor of meeting him at the Boxing Hall of Fame a few weeks ago and must say he is a tremendous person. He was very personable to anybody that approached him and is a great ambassador for the sport.

Honestly, I did not know he was still actively fighting or even had a fight this weekend until I saw the result. I remember when he "retired" on Friday Night Fights a few years ago and thought at that time it was the right time for him to walk away. Unfortunately, the allure of the ring was too much to stay away. I hope after this result that he will retire for good and that we see him involved in the sport in some other capacity.
    Last edited by oubobcat; 06-30-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Re: Other Weekend Results: Shannon Briggs Wins Again and Glen Johnson Loses

Briggs is in better shape now then when he fought Lewis and Big George. Shannon is making one last run and is putting his all into it. The guy is entertaining on the mic, in front of the camera and in the ring.

With the current heavyweight scene, SB might be able to pull off a shocker if he stays focused for this last run; and it looks like its finally the end of the road for the Road Warrior. He truly embodied every sense of the name, went everywhere and fought everybody.

Glen Johnson is a great guy. I had a chance to spend time with him at the IBHOF earlier this month and I also watched him as he dealt with the fans. He signed autographs, took pictures with them and chatted endlessly with them both one-on-one and in groups. After this stoppage loss, in which Johnson took some sledgehammer blows from an up-and-coming fighter, retirement is both imminent and imperative. He has been an exemplary athlete and champion. I am sure a call for induction into the IBHOF awaits him five years from now!

As for Briggs, it will not surprise me to see him get a shot at a title in 2015. My guess is it will come against the winner of Berman Stiverne-Deontay Wilder, if the negotiations for that winner to face Wladimir Klitschko break down. With that, the new WBC champion may get to face Briggs, who will sell (market) himself to the WBC's ratings committee over the next few months.

This is boxing. If it sells, the fight will be made. A promoter will take it and a sanctioning body will give it their blessing.

I don't know who he'll fight, where he'll fight, when he'll fight and for what title, but you can rest assured that within the next 12 months, Shannon Briggs WILL be fighting for a world heavyweight title belt!

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    Glen Johnson is a great guy. I had a chance to spend time with him at the IBHOF earlier this month and I also watched him as he dealt with the fans. He signed autographs, took pictures with them and chatted endlessly with them both one-on-one and in groups. After this stoppage loss, in which Johnson took some sledgehammer blows from an up-and-coming fighter, retirement is both imminent and imperative. He has been an exemplary athlete and champion. I am sure a call for induction into the IBHOF awaits him five years from now!

As for Briggs, it will not surprise me to see him get a shot at a title in 2015. My guess is it will come against the winner of Berman Stiverne-Deontay Wilder, if the negotiations for that winner to face Wladimir Klitschko break down. With that, the new WBC champion may get to face Briggs, who will sell (market) himself to the WBC's ratings committee over the next few months.

This is boxing. If it sells, the fight will be made. A promoter will take it and a sanctioning body will give it their blessing.

I don't know who he'll fight, where he'll fight, when he'll fight and for what title, but you can rest assured that within the next 12 months, Shannon Briggs WILL be fighting for a world heavyweight title belt!

-Randy G.
    He always seemed like a classy dude, if I am correct this is only the second time he has been stopped, I think. Hopkins was the 1st, quite a few years back.
    I sure hope he gets in the HOF!

Yes, Beef, Glen Johnson is indeed one classy dude. When Johnson was stopped the other day, you're right about the fact it was only the second time in 19 career losses that he suffered a loss by TKO/KO. That first time came against B-Hop in a world middleweight title fight in 1997.

I am certain that, if Johnson does indeed go into retirement--and stays there--he will be inducted into the IBHOF on his first year of eligibility, which will be in 2019.

He deserves it.

-Randy G.

If your gonna make a come back after a period of activity this is how its done. Keep fighting on a regular basis while gradually increasing the level of competition. Actually Raphael isnt all that bad. He was once the all latino champ and has only lost 4 of his last 7 fights. Which elevates him above the status of a rank and file bum. I would have liked Gamboa to have followed a similar path instead of going after the toughest lightweight in professional boxing.

George Foreman fought about 14 times before taking on a serious challenge in his comeback. On paper Shannon's quest is possible.... although I'll believe it when i see it.

I'd like to see Shannon challenge Amir Mansour for the battle of the brawn. If he can get past the free swinging Mansour (also in his forties)...... Id say that Shannon's odds have improved immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    If your gonna make a come back after a period of activity this is how its done. Keep fighting on a regular basis while gradually increasing the level of competition. Actually Raphael isnt all that bad. He was once the all latino champ and has only lost 4 of his last 7 fights. Which elevates him above the status of a rank and file bum. I would have liked Gamboa to have followed a similar path instead of going after the toughest lightweight in professional boxing.

George Foreman fought about 14 times before taking on a serious challenge in his comeback. On paper Shannon's quest is possible.... although I'll believe it when i see it.

I'd like to see Shannon challenge Amir Mansour for the battle of the brawn. If he can get past the free swinging Mansour (also in his forties)...... Id say that Shannon's odds have improved immensely.
    A Mansour fight would be a lot of fun. I think Briggs though wants to keep fighting low level guys and then when he steps up it will be for that big fight and big opportunity. So Mansour will probably not be in his plans in the immediate future.

His strategy is a smart one though. I think he will continue to be active, rake up wins and get the necessary attention to get him that opportunity he is seeking.

I think the Commish may be correct and he may try to set himself up for the winner of Stiverne-Wilder assuming that fight takes place. He may also target the winner of Fury-Chisora which would be a fight that would garner a lot of attention in the UK especially if it is Fury. And don't rule out the winner of the Chageav-Oquendo fight as they may seek out a name and the money that goes with the name for a "title" defense (I cringe every time I see that fight is for a title belt).

Chageav or Oquendo would be more his speed... and I cringed while writting that.