English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Technical Scrap Expected, Brawl Breaks Out, Crawford Gets W Over Gamboa

Advanced Users

Re: Technical Scrap Expected, Brawl Breaks Out, Crawford Gets W Over Gamboa

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    I was surprised at how available Gamboa's chin was for a fighter with his experience. Straight up in the air. Gamboa was reckless as hell and he got wrecked for it. I forgot how short his arms are. 135 is going to be tough on him.
    He will be fine. T-Craw just whupped his rusty behind. Styles make fights. Holla!

That was a helluva fight!!
    Gamboa kinda reminds me of Khan, the way he got pulled into a brawl when his speed and movement was working well for him in the first 3 or 4 rounds, he definitely has big heart!
    Last edited by King Beef; 06-29-2014 at 10:39 AM.

Timing beat Speed. Crawford figured out the short speedster Gamboa. It would be interesting to see him figure out tall and slick Vasquez.

I agree with the Roast that Gamboa should avoid the 135 division. Great fight! Crawford is now on my must see list!

What a fantastic fight.

Gamboa did get a little careless leaving that right hand to drag back to his waist and not back to protect the chin, obviously...but man did he show heart.

Crawford made the appropriate adjustments and timed the faster Gamboa.

I could watch these two fight weekly.

These two really stepped up their game, what a high level of skill and tenacity.

Quote Originally Posted by the Roast View Post
    Sensational slugfest! I was wrong about Crawford, he got it done tonight. He was the bigger fighter and he was able to hurt Gamboa enough to put him down four times. Gamboa was winning early with superior speed but Crawford was able to pull even with his advantage in size and power.
    Gamboa should move down to 130 if he can.
    His chin let him down tonight. Whenever he got hit with a clean shot his legs went out from under him. I give credit to Crawford for facing a very risky foe and credit to Gamboa for risking his O against a very skilled fighter in his hometown. I look forward to seeing both fighters again in a rematch or other opponents.
    This was an absolute thrill to watch as a fan. Right now, it is probably the leading candidate for fight of the year.

The size difference played a big factor here. Gamboa should go down at least to 130. He is going to have a hard time taking punches from legitimate Lightweights. Remember, he was dropped many times at Featherweight.

Gamboa was used to fighters be mesmerized by his speed and taking them out of their game plan. Early on, it appeared that may happen to Crawford. But Crawford adjusted to the speed and made an adjustment himself going to the southpaw stance. Never before had Gamboa faced someone as a pro who made a mid fight adjustment...before opponents got cautious fearing Gamboa's speed and counter attack if they opened it. When Crawford started fighting back, Gamboa did not know how to respond.

A rematch is possible down the line but not right away. If Crawford stays at 135, I think Ray Beltran, Hank Lundy or Juan Diaz may get a shot at him (Petr Petrov as well may be in the mix. It will be a step down from Gamboa. If Crawford goes to 140, I look for Jessie Vargas as the opponent if Vargas comes out successful in his title defense in August.

Agreed... Gamboa walks around at about 150lbs. Crawford walks around at about 157.

Too much muscle and bone mass for Gamboa to walk through.
    Gamboa doesn't have the best punch resistance.
    But he's ornery and stubborn and recuperates well.

I don't know if Gamboa can overhaul his tendency to toss common sense out the window and regress into Caveman mode.
    Maybe its a carry over from the days he used to dominate everybody on his athletic ability alone.
    But I'm a firm believer that he can succeed at 135 if learns how to control himself.

He would have to become a deciple of boxing like Terence.

I am personally not in favor of a rematch.
    Nothing will change except Crawford will get him to trade earlier and end the fight a few rounds sooner.

What I saw from Gamboa wasn't heart(Gamboa always had that) what lost him the fight is his tendacy to start a fight in the midst of a boxing match.

May work at the bar... But not in the ring.
    Last edited by brownsugar; 06-30-2014 at 10:41 AM.