English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keith Thurman- The Truth in the Welterweight Division?

Keith Thurman- The Truth in the Welterweight Division?

Keith 'One Time' Thurman, the brutishly powerful, slickly skilled 147lber has been busy calling out everyone and anyone for some time now. He believes, as do a host of his fans, that he is more than a match for the best welterweights out there, including Mayweather and Pacquiao.

He's been consistently destroying guys with his abundance of power and boxing ability for 23 fights now (21 KO's) and is currently stampeding his way through champions and former champions, and looking extremely impressive in doing so.

Smashing his way through both Soto Karass and Julio Diaz in the space of 6 months, One Time has been turning heads, and it's only a question of time before we see him matched against some really challenging opponents- but will he make it look easy, or will the guy touted by many to one day dominate the division, come up short against tried and tested elite fighters?

Bear in mind that Thurman destroyed Diaz in under 9 minutes... Diaz being a man Shawn Porter, hailed as the 'juggernaught' of the division, and the man most likely to defeat Mayweather, failed to dispatch in the space of twelve rounds.

How far will Thurman go?

Who will he be matched against next?

Does he beat Porter?

Re: Keith Thurman- The Truth in the Welterweight Division?

Yes please. I was a skeptic of Thurman. But over the years he's impressed me a lot. He's got a great training team with a lot of world championship history. He's got solid belief in himself and his skills, and of course his 'one time' power. He's gone up as far as 154 to take on guys nobody really wants to face and put them away. He wants anyone and everyone. He is after a challenge, he isn't scared to lose because he believes he will bounce back stronger, and I don't doubt him.

His plans are to unify the welterweight division. Can he do it? I think he may have it, so long as he keeps improving and doesn't bite off more than he can chew too fast. I think he has the beating of Mayweather in him, at some point.

With such a limited resume he can not be the truth of anything yet.

I think the kid has promise and between him and Porter will carry the division for some time.

However, he is yet to be tested on the next level.

Hmm. I am not sold on Thurman being the next coming, the next savior of the welterweight division.

He reminds me of a guy we talked about a few months back on another thread here...a 1980's welterweight out of NY being promoted by MSG Boxing named Jose "The Threat" Baret. So many in the NY boxing crowd were convinced Baret was the man to single-handedly blast his way through the welterweight division. That meant beating guys like Roberto Duran. And Thomas Hearns. And Sugar Ray Leonard. I was not among the believers in "The Threat." In fact, I called him "Not Yet" Baret, a nickname MSG Boxing V.P. John F.X. Condon hated.

Then, on CBS, with my guru, Gil Clancy, at the mic, Baret faced young, hungry Marlon Starling. On that afternoon, Baret lived up to his nickname. Only, it was the nickname I gave him: "Not Yet." Starling beat him up. Toyed with him.

I feel the same way about Thurman. He is wickedly powerful. I see him mowing down most welterweights. I do not, however, see him getting past Shawn Porter. Or $$$May. I am not sure he can get past Devon Alexander or Timothy Bradley.

I may be wrong. Maybe his time has indeed arrived. Maybe he is indeed the man who will hand $$$May his first loss.

But then, the more I think about it, I shake my head. He's not ready.

Not yet.

-Randy G.

I agree Commish, I truly think Porter is gonna be heading the division once Floyd and Pac are gone.

Thurman has promise and he is improving. However, he can be hit and he does get staggered.

He needs to take on some upper level fighters before we can think of him getting the big names.

I disagree Commish. I don't know if Thurman was what it takes to beat Floyd but I could see him beating Porter, Bradley, definately Alexander. Thurman has turned into a smart boxer who also is a big puncher with either hand.
    Baret was only 16-0(15) when he reached too far and got clowned by Starling. Thurman has already beaten better fighters than Baret ever faced.
    I put that video of Starling-Baret up on the Boxing Channel a while back. At the beginning they showed some of Baret's highlight KOs. Wild swinging, and I mean wild swinging knockouts of the typical no hopers.
    Thurman is better than Baret ever was. If any of those top welters give Thurman a chance to get in the ring with them we could have a new star on our hands.
    Last edited by the Roast; 06-28-2014 at 02:56 AM.

None of these guys are beating Floyd man. Come on. Not Porter. Not Thurdman. Not Pacquiao. None of these jokers.

Two of them jokers are world champs, one of them is one of the most decorated boxers in the sport's history. Thurman will be a world champion soon and he has the potential to beat Mayweather in my opinion.

He's got skill and it's always improving, he's got speed, he's got a varied and well tuned arsenal. He's got power, he's got determination and will and importantly he relishes all challenges. He can move across the ring well, close the ring off and make it hard for his opponent to maneuver without getting tagged in the head or the body. His time will come and he will make believers out of a lot of people.

Amazing how much confidence a lot of you are putting in Keith Thurman. I really have to sit down (I can't today, as I have five of the grandkids coming over to drown me in my pool!) and watch as much of Thurman on youtube as I can. Maybe I am missing something.

Until I see more, until I am convinced, I see him as a top-line contender, but not one who'll beat $$$May or Porter (who I think many of you are underrating and who I may be overrating!).

-Randy G.

Thurman is not seasoned enough. He does have good power but Floyd will nullify it and box his way to a 12 round UD. Porter is a beast and Floyd will avoid him. Fighter of the decade Manny P has Floyd hiding under his bed