English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Champs Fighting Chumps

Champs Fighting Chumps

I know a lot of the TSS readers and general boxing community are disappointed to hear that Danny Garcia's next opponent is, well, a nobody. He's ranked in the 70's at junior welterweight, and has lost more than one fight to guys ranked in the same region.

Frankly, I'm a little irritated. Danny's a good fighter (though not great) and as a boxing fan, I want to see good, competitive fights between the best in the division. As the top ranked junior welterweight, and the owner of two of the four major belts, Danny should be consistently fighting top ten or twenty ranked title challengers. The same goes for every champion in every division.

Yes, up and comers should be given a chance to challenge for the title if their skill level merits it, and yes it's hard to work your way up the rankings.

It should be. The point of the early part of your career, the first twenty fights or so, is to climb the rankings, aiming to get high enough to challenge for a title. I don't necessarily agree with the instantaneously high ranking of Lomachenko by the sanctioning bodies, though he's an exception to the rule.

What's the point in having rankings if the top ranked title holder can just pluck a fighter with no record and no rank, off the streets and into the ring to face them. Suddenly, you have a chump under the spotlights facing the champ, just to earn them some money and put another W (KO) on their record.

It's a slap in the face to the fans, and one of the worst sides of boxing. Not all fighters do it, and no champ does it every time, but when you wait to hear what a top ranked fighter's opponent will be, and it comes out as a nobody, it's a real insult- especially in boxing where guys only fight twice or maybe three times a year. In one fell swoop they duck any challenge at all- avoiding every fighter that has a chance of beating them. It's a cowardly and unsporting act that should be called out for what it is. A farce.

What can be done to fix this problem in the sport? Fans shouldn't stand for being treated this way, but we have little influence over events.

Re: Champs Fighting Chumps

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post

What can be done to fix this problem in the sport? Fans shouldn't stand for being treated this way, but we have little influence over events.
    Fans have ALL the influence. If no one supports the event, they will be forced to do things differently.

Besides, this is just a card to fill an obligation to Barclays.

The Brits got the best fans in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Fans have ALL the influence. If no one supports the event, they will be forced to do things differently.

Besides, this is just a card to fill an obligation to Barclays.

The Brits got the best fans in the world.
    Yes we can vote with our feet, we can refuse to watch and we can heckle them with abuse. But they will still fight, the arena will still be full, people will still tune in to watch; and fighters will continue to do this because they know that enough people will. Casual fans make up the vast majority of revenue and footfall/ viewers.

I don't care if it's an obligation to Barclays. It can be an obligation to the almighty himself for all I care- it's still a load of BS.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    Yes we can vote with our feet, we can refuse to watch and we can heckle them with abuse. But they will still fight, the arena will still be full, people will still tune in to watch; and fighters will continue to do this because they know that enough people will. Casual fans make up the vast majority of revenue and footfall/ viewers.

I don't care if it's an obligation to Barclays. It can be an obligation to the almighty himself for all I care- it's still a load of BS.
    Hahaha, obligation to the almighty...

BS? Sure. But 90% of cards are.

And yes, as long as people come, then the market has deemed it a nice piece of entertainment for that evening.

Again, if people don't want to watch it, they shouldn't tune in. That may put pressure on the broadcaster not to purchase what is seemingly a "BS card" to the passionate fan.

It's fine if they have a busy schedule, I wouldn't ask for them to face well conditioned and skilled fighters at every opportunity. However a young fighter with something to prove should be active and take risks. The greater the challenges you face the stronger you will inevitably become. If you're fighting 2 hard nut and a 1 stiff at the end of the year to balance the books it might not be so bad, if you're fighting 2 stiffs and taking 1 challenge then you've got to ask whether you want to continue in this sport or not.

If you're a champion, with a belt. You should have great belief in your self, your skill and your team and challenge yourself to see how much more you can become.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    It's fine if they have a busy schedule, I wouldn't ask for them to face well conditioned and skilled fighters at every opportunity. However a young fighter with something to prove should be active and take risks. The greater the challenges you face the stronger you will inevitably become. If you're fighting 2 hard nut and a 1 stiff at the end of the year to balance the books it might not be so bad, if you're fighting 2 stiffs and taking 1 challenge then you've got to ask whether you want to continue in this sport or not.

If you're a champion, with a belt. You should have great belief in your self, your skill and your team and challenge yourself to see how much more you can become.
    I think part of the problem becomes that once a guy loses, the fans are so quick to dismiss him or label him overrated and so forth. Some don't get that treatment but some do.

I wish we could unite to create a culture where a loss doesn't mean as much as competitive matches. A guy like Zab Judah is a good guy to start with. He fights competitive fights. He wins some, he loses some.

Instead, people make fun of him, saying he's got 9 lives, he can't perform when it matters and so forth.

My honest opinion? I'm completely underwhelmed by that card. Ugh. But at the same time, I can understand what goes on behind it.

Guys, I really wish we could raise up like in the movie, "Network," and yell "I am ad as hell and tired of these mismatches and I won't take it any more," and then stay away from the arena in droves. But it will have to be in droves, not in dozens. If 9,000 fans show up at Barclay's, we haven't done our job. If 1,000 fans show up, we have.

Unfortunately, we the fans get ticked off all the time about something, be it mismatches, pathetic judging, horrendous refereeing, padded records, ridiculous ratings, over-inflated ticket prices ansd so much more. We talk about doing something. We write how tired we are of this and that. We scream, "Let's rise up and do something! We are in charge!" Then, after we scream, after we threaten not to give another dollar to whatever it is we were screaming about, we yawn, lay back and do nothing.

The Barclay's show will go on. Some of us will stay home, most of us won't. Some won't watch it on TV. Most of us will. A few may not use their press credential to coverage the show. Most will.

I have been hearing the word boycott for years.

If we all did it, our actions would speak so much louder than our words. The promoters would hear us.

But the promoters know us too well.

They know, in reality, that our words speak louder than our actions.

It's sad.

But it's true. The show will go on.

-Randy G.

TheGrey... I can understand you being irate about this weekends er...umm "showcase" bouts... personally the best I can do is speculate.

Al Haymon is catching the bulk of the blame due to his not so long ago past history of setting his fighters up with easy touches and labeling it entertainment.

But I believe he has a purpose here.

I admit......This card is a letdown compared to the Alexander-Lomanchenko- Guerrero card Showtime treated us to last week.

This is a significant fight for Daniel Jacobs.... As you know Jarrod Fletcher is the same dubious number one contender the ABC sanctioning body dregded up to challenge Gennady Golovkin several weeks ago.

Fortunately Gennady and K2 are no longer at the bottom rung of the food chain. GGG is a bonefide star.. And he's one of the most in-demand boxers on the planet. Once a boxer reaches his stature.... He's not too easily bullied into taking on virtual nobodies to satisfy politically driven favors. ...but Jacobs is still trying to get there.

Haymon saw an opportunity to snag a strap for one of his fighters so he tossed this show together by the seat of his pants. He did it quick and dirty ......rather than allow Fletcher...(who is basically a human gateway to a middleweight title and a bargaining chip for future negotiations)...to get apprehended by another promoter.

Garcia is just going along to provide support and supply a little facial recognition.

Just business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    Guys, I really wish we could raise up like in the movie, "Network," and yell "I am ad as hell and tired of these mismatches and I won't take it any more," and then stay away from the arena in droves. But it will have to be in droves, not in dozens. If 9,000 fans show up at Barclay's, we haven't done our job. If 1,000 fans show up, we have.

Unfortunately, we the fans get ticked off all the time about something, be it mismatches, pathetic judging, horrendous refereeing, padded records, ridiculous ratings, over-inflated ticket prices ansd so much more. We talk about doing something. We write how tired we are of this and that. We scream, "Let's rise up and do something! We are in charge!" Then, after we scream, after we threaten not to give another dollar to whatever it is we were screaming about, we yawn, lay back and do nothing.

The Barclay's show will go on. Some of us will stay home, most of us won't. Some won't watch it on TV. Most of us will. A few may not use their press credential to coverage the show. Most will.

I have been hearing the word boycott for years.

If we all did it, our actions would speak so much louder than our words. The promoters would hear us.

But the promoters know us too well.

They know, in reality, that our words speak louder than our actions.

It's sad.

But it's true. The show will go on.

-Randy G.
    Exactly Commish, and that's what's frustrating. You put it perfectly. Even I know that I'll probably watch the fights, even if they are mismatches...