English Español
Advertisement

Thread: WBC / WBA / IBF SUMMIT IN CANCUN

WBC / WBA / IBF SUMMIT IN CANCUN

WBC / WBA / IBF SUMMIT IN CANCUN
    The historic meeting of three major boxing organizations culminated on Tuesday in Cancun, Mexico, with agreements and common ground on many areas of great importance to the sport. Some of the topics Mauricio Sulaiman, Daryl Peoples, and Gilberto Jesus Mendoza(Presidents of the WBC and IBF, and VicePresident of the WBA respectively) discussed included, among other topics:
    * Standarization of INSTANT REPLAY procedures and guidelines
    * Standardizing anti-doping testing protocols and substances
    * PED testing
    * General policies for world title unifications
    * Glove brands certification
    * Weigh-in aspects as the 30 and 7-days precaution process, official day-before the fight weigh-in and day-of-fight weigh-in to monitor gained weight. Establishing programs based on nutrition to educate trainers and boxers
    * Standardizing divisions' names
    * Reciprocity on suspensions
    * Joining forces on retired fighters' aid and funds
    * Joint force to address AIBA's monopolistic attempts.
    * Proposal of a tournament between champions to determine a sole WORLD CHAMPION.
    The meeting's atmosphere was very positive and constructive. The leaders of the three organizations that attended the historic gathering all expressed their hope that the meeting would set the groundwork for multilateral agreements on many areas of benefit to boxing and, above all, boxers. They agreed to appoint a committee to enhance the organizations' communication and to address specific topics of discussion. Announcements on agreements will be forthcoming. The leaders of the WBC, IBF and WBA will meet again on September 24th in Cancun.
    WATCH RELATED VIDEOS ON BOXINGCHANNEL.TV

Advanced Users

Re: WBC / WBA / IBF SUMMIT IN CANCUN

The only reason, IMHO, that these top three corrupted alphabet-sanctioning organization met is to figure out a way to halt the onslaught of AIBA. Holla!

Wow! I don't remember the last time the heads of the Gambino, Lucchese and Genovese families sat down to break bread, drink vino and talk. Do I hear the mandolins playing "The Godfather Waltz"?

-Randy G.

Since I started following the sport as a kid, I always wondered "Why do we as fans recognize these organizations when we all know they are only doing what's in their best interest and not what's in the best interest of the sport."

Okay, seriously I do understand it. The promoters love to promote "World Title Fights" on their shows and broadcasters love it for marketing.

But as fans, why do we continue to put up with it?

I mean seriously. Lets look a the Middleweight division.

The WBA is sanctioning a Middleweight Championship Fight in August between Danny Jacobs and Jarrod Fletcher. The winner will be the third Middleweight Champion for the WBA alone (Golovkin is Super Champion, Dmitry Chudinov is Interim Champion and the winner here is Champion).

The WBC has Miguel Cotto as its champion and Miguel Rubio as its Interim Middleweight Champion.

The IBF Middleweight Champion is Sam Soliman.

The WBO Middleweight Champion is Peter Quillin.

That's seven Middleweight Champions of the World ans seven separate times right now at Middlweight these organizations can be charging a sanctioning fee. This is wrong and absurd and I can't be the only one who feels this way.

Something needs to be done about this. There needs to be one recognized set of rankings with one champion per division. It sounds so easy, doesn't it? And its been talked about since I have been following the sport. But we still have sanctioning bodies with ratings that are often a joke and often change their own rules for their own benefit.

I remember thinking when I was in high school in the 90's how this would all change when I got older. There was no way the sport would allow this to continue, its just too crazy and makes not logical sense. But not only does it continue as I got older, but new absurdities were invented (super champions, silver belts, interim champions, etc) and passed along to us.

There has to come a point where this just gets so out of control that finally things change. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    Since I started following the sport as a kid, I always wondered "Why do we as fans recognize these organizations when we all know they are only doing what's in their best interest and not what's in the best interest of the sport."

Okay, seriously I do understand it. The promoters love to promote "World Title Fights" on their shows and broadcasters love it for marketing.

But as fans, why do we continue to put up with it?

I mean seriously. Lets look a the Middleweight division.

The WBA is sanctioning a Middleweight Championship Fight in August between Danny Jacobs and Jarrod Fletcher. The winner will be the third Middleweight Champion for the WBA alone (Golovkin is Super Champion, Dmitry Chudinov is Interim Champion and the winner here is Champion).

The WBC has Miguel Cotto as its champion and Miguel Rubio as its Interim Middleweight Champion.

The IBF Middleweight Champion is Sam Soliman.

The WBO Middleweight Champion is Peter Quillin.

That's seven Middleweight Champions of the World ans seven separate times right now at Middlweight these organizations can be charging a sanctioning fee. This is wrong and absurd and I can't be the only one who feels this way.

Something needs to be done about this. There needs to be one recognized set of rankings with one champion per division. It sounds so easy, doesn't it? And its been talked about since I have been following the sport. But we still have sanctioning bodies with ratings that are often a joke and often change their own rules for their own benefit.

I remember thinking when I was in high school in the 90's how this would all change when I got older. There was no way the sport would allow this to continue, its just too crazy and makes not logical sense. But not only does it continue as I got older, but new absurdities were invented (super champions, silver belts, interim champions, etc) and passed along to us.

There has to come a point where this just gets so out of control that finally things change. At least that's what I keep telling myself.
    Nothing is as it seems in the "theatre of the unexpected." And there are optical illusion everywhere. And always have been. Our sport of boxing has always been corrupted. And we wanna believe that things were once better in long ago yesteryears. But it just ain't so.

Over a 100 years ago, there were corrupted alphabet-sanctioning commissions. The leading ones were the BBC, IBC and the IBU, which brought in this nonsense of of umpteen world champions by stripping "Unforgivable Blackness" Jack Johnson for violating a law made for him. Hehe! WTF! "The White Slave Traffic Act."

Our sport will bit on any fiction. Just dig this nowadays nonsense with Broner being the "Can Man." Just because he can, the corrupted WBC has stripped him of his ranking because of the WBC's invented behavior of him saying racist jive. OMG!

The dumb-arse WBC has just made Broner BIGGER and will now lose getting it potential sanctioning fee. The pugvine is hollering that "The Problem" Broner would pull a Riddick Bowe, and "$π¡+can a WBC title belt that may ever get. Holla!

Advanced Users

The Big 3 corrupted alphabet-sanctioning commission are feeling the on-coming storm of the AIBA. A change is a coming.

In the meantime, holla at some pug history: http://fivedogs.tripod.com/misc.html. Holla!

Words like "den of vipers",...."coven of thieves",..." international cabal of corruption" and "serpents nest" come to mind when reading this article.
    On a positive note at least more discussion is taking place in support of instant replays and drug testing.
    Ideally there should be only one sanctioning body and it should be comprised of officials from multinational origins.

How did we get to this place?

Nevermind , I'm sure its a long story.

And to think, .... the world was one lawsuit away from completely dismantling the WBC several decades ago. Before it gained strength and spawed more copycat groups.