English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BC Predictions: GGG's First Loss?

BC Predictions: GGG's First Loss?

Who do you guys think will be the one to give it to him?

Who, how and why?

I say Andre Ward by decision due to superior ring generalship.

If it wasn't for the promotional situation and the fact that I think GGG management knows better, I would give Andre Dirrell a shot. But that won't happen anytime soon.

Advanced Users

Re: BC Predictions: GGG's First Loss?

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Who do you guys think will be the one to give it to him?

Who, how and why?

I say Andre Ward by decision due to superior ring generalship.

If it wasn't for the promotional situation and the fact that I think GGG management knows better, I would give Andre Dirrell a shot. But that won't happen anytime soon.
    I'll go with SOG Ward for the same reason. But GGG would kayo Andre Dirrell.

This cat has not fought in two years. GGG would bomb him out in four rounds or less. Dude has/had unforgivable mistakes. He literally suffered brain damage from German native Abraham. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 06-25-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Someone with a great chin, great conditioning and a long time spent learning the art of boxing. I'd say Ward has two of those attributes but he's got the latter in abundance. I think if GGG catches him with something sneaky or set's something up he could put Ward down and potentially out. That said catching Ward won't be an easy job, but not impossible.

I don't think he's got many problems to face at 160, issue's will arise when he goes north and fights the bigger guys. He'll still carry the KO power but they'll be hitting him with heavier stuff than he's faced so far on the night. I can't think of a name, but the guy's out there.

I don't see Golovkin losing in the foreseeable future. And that includes Ward.

Golovkin has terrific boxing skills which often go overlooked because of his ferocious power. He finds a way to land his jab against Ward and throw off Ward's timing. And Golovkin's power makes Ward hesitant to open up himself. I think Ward goes the distance but loses by a lopsided decision.

I am not convinced that anyone fighting right now in Golovkin's vicinity can beat him. This is a stretch but a fight in a few years with him and Kovalev may be a test given Kovalev's power and the fact he'd be the naturally much bigger man.

Maybe the fighter who gives Golovkin the first loss is not on anybody's radar (maybe a prospect in the early stages of developing his career). It would also not surprise me to see Golovkin go through his career unblemished.

Ward ends him. He does not stop Dirrell. I don't see it. They've fought before at 165, twice. Dirrell won one and narrowly lost the other by fighting the wrong strategy in crunch time, which can be found on YouTube.

Golovkin has even said that he considers Dirrell one of the better fighters out there; I think I've even heard him say he's the best he's fought.

If Dirrell didn't duck Ward (which I think he did), he may have been a Top 5 P4P right now.

If I were among GGG's braintrust, I would keep him active at 160 and even look to invite a few guys up from 154 to face him. What would be bigger than a Miguel Cotto fight against GGG in MSG? How about about giving the Canelo Alvarez-Erislandy Lara winner a shot at his 160lb belt?

How about inviting the great $$$May to come up and cap his career with a try at the middleweight title.

Can you picture GGG v James Kirkland? Think Marvelous Marvin Hagler v John Mugabi here.

Moving up and facing Carl Froch in a mega-match is an awesome thought. But any further than that...STOP!

GGG does not want Andre Ward and GGG does not want Sergei Kovalev (although this is a bout which could indeed be a two-sided shootout). Adonis Stevenson is very interesting because of Stevenson's dentable chin and even a match against 100-year-old Bernard Hopkins is worthy of some thought.

But again, GGG should keep away from Ward, unless it's at an award's banquet!

-Randy G.

I tend to side with Oubob here.

I think Ward's been out of it for too long- Golovkin will keep walking him down, keep landing the jab, find some openings and effectively counter the majority of what Ward can throw back at him. Ward would be on the back foot from the beginning- I can imagine him taking some real punishment early on, then having to run and fight off the back foot for the remainder of the fight. He may frustrate Golovkin in some rounds, but GGG would take the decision. If Ward were more active at the moment I may have more faith in him, but Golovkin's fighting 3+ times this year, and I simply don't see Ward being able to give it to him, based on the way GGG's performing at the moment.

I don't see Dirrell taking GGG either. He's quick, and is a decent counter puncher, but he doesn't have the boxing skill to take on Golovkin- poor ring generalship, movement and defence. Not the calibre to beat Golovkin.

I'd like to see how he'd fare against Macklin, DeGale and obviously, Canelo (red headed hype would go down!.

For now though, it's impossible to point to any one fighter at 160 or 168, and say 'he'd beat Golovkin' with the same certainty that you might with other fighters.

GGG spanks Killa Krusher Kovalev with ease. Mismatch.

GGG used to tear KKK's behind up in sparring so bad they had to send Kovalev cross country to Florida because he confidence couldn't take it. Real talk.

Imagine what Ward does to this fella. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    If I were among GGG's braintrust, I would keep him active at 160 and even look to invite a few guys up from 154 to face him. What would be bigger than a Miguel Cotto fight against GGG in MSG? How about about giving the Canelo Alvarez-Erislandy Lara winner a shot at his 160lb belt?

How about inviting the great $$$May to come up and cap his career with a try at the middleweight title.

Can you picture GGG v James Kirkland? Think Marvelous Marvin Hagler v John Mugabi here.

Moving up and facing Carl Froch in a mega-match is an awesome thought. But any further than that...STOP!

GGG does not want Andre Ward and GGG does not want Sergei Kovalev (although this is a bout which could indeed be a two-sided shootout). Adonis Stevenson is very interesting because of Stevenson's dentable chin and even a match against 100-year-old Bernard Hopkins is worthy of some thought.

But again, GGG should keep away from Ward, unless it's at an award's banquet!

-Randy G.
    Sign me up for Canelo-Lara winner! But unless it's Canelo, Loeffler will wisely weasel his way out of that one...

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Sign me up for Canelo-Lara winner! But unless it's Canelo, Loeffler will wisely weasel his way out of that one...
    I think Golovkin and Loeffler would welcome a Lara fight if he beats Canelo (remember Angulo was hurting Lara and found him an easy target with right hands in their fight) But Lara being with Haymon will starch any talk of that fight.

The fight I really want to see for Golovkin is the Ward fight. I am picking Golovkin but man that is a fight that could go in so many different directions. It is so intriguing, would answer a lot of questions about both men and create a true superstar in the sport.

Unfortunately, Ward's litigation will keep that from happening anytime soon. It sounds like this is going to be awhile too so wants this matter with Ward is finally settled he will need a sort of tune up bout before being ready for such a test. If I had to put a time frame on things, I would guess late 2015 or early 2016 before this potential fight could become a reality.