English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I might go out on a limb and pick gamboa

I might go out on a limb and pick gamboa

Tell me why I am wrong or right.

I think Gamboa has way more experience. A 4-time Cuban Champion has been in the ring and seen all styles including the one Crawford uses.
    I give the shorter Gamboa the edge in punching power and the more explosive punches. Being in the ring and winning against Ponce de Leon, Salido, and Solis is impressive. Also all of his opponents had winning records while Crawford's first 10 or so were the usual suspects with terrible records.

Crawford has major height and reach advantages(which can backfire against a shorter explosive fighter). Crawford has been more active and going to Scotland to fight is a huge win.This fight is a homecoming for Crawford and might work to his advantage or be a disadvantage if too many people beg him for tickets. Gamboa might be affected by the long layoff or it might have given him some time to rest his body and mind.

It is going to be a great fight.

Gamboa is a big underdog +200. I am looking for any reason to pick the underdog in this one. Give me your thoughts. I am also going to ask Sullivan Barrera what he thinks of the fight since he was teammates with Gamboa for so long.

Re: I might go out on a limb and pick gamboa

Crawford's got a lot of hometown support, and they love him over there. He's been there boy since before he turned pro and they've rode his wave of success and disappointment with him up until this point. The atmosphere in the arena will be pumping and Gamboa will learn that he is in there against a future star. Stardom doesn't mean much when the bell rings but it can have it's psychological effect...

That aside, I'd favour Gamboa in a 12 round decision. He's been and done it against vets and knows the nitty gritty of a 12 rounder. Sure Crawford has done it but he's outweighed in experience against Gamboa.

Technically, i'll go with Terry. He's got nice skills, fast hands and a nice pop to his punches. The only thing I disagree with him on is switching his stance. He's been doing it for years and he says he's comfortable doing it, but how much success does he find when he does switch? Not much from what i've seen. I'd see it as a weakness if I were Gamboa.

Gamboa has been down a few times, but he's always gotten back up and done the job. If this fight goes the distance I'll gamble on Gamboa saving something and turning it up toward the end. Sure Crawford will be in great condition when the bell rings but Gamboa could be riding the last chance saloon. He's been trying a long time to make a big name of himself but with relative inactivity he's come and gone. He needs to win this to stay relevant in my view.

He had one fight in 2012, one in 2013 and this is his first in 2014. I hope he's been pushing hard in the gym and had a lot of great sparring to work off the rust.

It's a great fight like you say Deep, I'd like Terry to do it and go on to making bigger fights in the future. But at the same time i've got a soft spot for Gamboa and the way he fights. I don't like sitting on the fence so I'll go for the hometown boy. He has been outboxed by other guys before in his career but those days were a long time ago, he has the skill and the will to win this as he proved by going to Scotland in very hostile territory. Crawford by SD.

(It'll be his second time going the distance if it's a decision.. only Ricky Burns and Gamboa... It's a big step up....)

I think Crawford is going to win this fight and win this fight going away.

The much more technically sound fighter is Crawford. He is very quick and agile. He is a wizard in the ring at making fighters miss and making them pay.

This is very important when analyzing this fight. Why? Gamboa, though also very quick, makes a lot of mistakes. The more technically sound and equally quick Crawford will make Gamboa pay for the mistakes he makes.

What mistakes area those? Gamboa comes in often with his hands very low. When he punches, does not always bring his hands back quickly. Gamboa often squares up (reason he has been knocked down a few times) and will also pull straight back with his hands down. There will be plenty of openings for Crawford and Crawford is better, quicker and more technically sound than anyone Gamboa has ever fought.

Gamboa is explosive but he also fights a lot in spots. There are many dead spots (similar to say Adrien Broner) that an opponent, particularly a skilled one, can take advantage of and pile up points.

Another key factor, Crawford is naturally the bigger man. Crawford has fought most his career at Lightweight and even a few bouts at Junior Welterweight.

Gamboa, on the otherhand, has been a Featherweight most of his career. His two recent fights up from Featherweight he scored two unimpressive wins and his power did not appear the same (particularly in the bout at Lightweight against Darleys Perez).

We all know Gamboa has been down several times in his career as well at lighter weights. How will he take a punch from a full fledged Lightweight?

The fans as well will all be in Crawford's corner and be cheering wildly when he lands (or even doesn't land flush). Judges are human and that may carry some weight in their minds particularly in the close rounds.

To me, all the signs point here to a Crawford win.

I have to go with Crawford on this one.

After seeing his performance in Scotland, I reckon Crawford's got the edge when it comes to boxing ability. He has sufficient power to back it up too- he gave Ricky quite a beating, and that wasn't easy given the venue.

Granted Crawford doesn't have the same level of experience, hasn't fought the same calibre of opponents, but when has that ever been a barrier to the more talented fighter?

Gambia looked so bored and blah-zay in his last fight .....as if he had something or somewhere else he'd rather be.
    Gone was the limitless movement and explosive combo's.

Gone was his drive to impress the crowd and humiliate his opponent.

He looked like a man on the chain gang looking desperately for a shade tree and a cup of sweet tea.

With his long layoff and relative inactivity I don't know if Gambia can ever become El Cyclone again.
    Going through the motions against Crawford would be suicide.

I'm sure Gambia has his motivation back...but can he get his old speed back? Not the ineffectual speed we saw being attempted against Lomanchenko last Saturday... But true speed, unstoppable speed?

If he can he will still need a plan ... Pure speed will not be enough to beat a pragmatic technician like Crawford.

Gambia will need to bring his best version of Cuban Boxing to win.
    Its a tall order...I wonder if Gambia still has the necessary fortitude to rekindle his former championship calibre determination in preparation for this fight?

No predictions ... I just can't wait to watch.
    Last edited by brownsugar; 06-24-2014 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Gambia looked so bored and blah-zay in his last fight .....as if he had something or somewhere else he'd rather be.
    Gone was the limitless movement and explosive combo's.

Gone was his drive to impress the crowd and humiliate his opponent.

He looked like a man on the chain gang looking desperately for a shade tree and a cup of sweet tea.

With his long layoff and relative inactivity I don't know if Gambia can ever become El Cyclone again.
    Going through the motions against Crawford would be suicide.

I'm sure Gambia has his motivation back...but can he get his old speed back? Not the ineffectual speed we saw being attempted against Lomanchenko last Saturday... But true speed, unstoppable speed?

If he can he will still need a plan ... Pure speed will not be enough to beat a pragmatic technician like Crawford.

Gambia will need to bring his best version of Cuban Boxing to win.
    Its a tall order...I wonder if Gambia still has the necessary fortitude to rekindle his former championship calibre determination in preparation for this fight?

No predictions ... I just can't wait to watch.

Exactly, and drive is such a crucial element to the outcome of a fight. It's what can inspire you to perform to the limits of your ability and endurance. Gamboa is a professional, and I have no doubt he'll give it his all in training and on fight night, but he may be lacking that extra something come Saturday.

Crawford has everything to gain now. It's his first defence of his first world title, and I don't imagine he'll be letting it go without leaving everything he has and is in that ring. Coupled with his youth, recent experience and edge in skills, it looks like Crawford all the way to me, though no doubt it'll be a very tough and entertaining fight.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    Exactly, and drive is such a crucial element to the outcome of a fight. It's what can inspire you to perform to the limits of your ability and endurance. Gamboa is a professional, and I have no doubt he'll give it his all in training and on fight night, but he may be lacking that extra something come Saturday.

Crawford has everything to gain now. It's his first defence of his first world title, and I don't imagine he'll be letting it go without leaving everything he has and is in that ring. Coupled with his youth, recent experience and edge in skills, it looks like Crawford all the way to me, though no doubt it'll be a very tough and entertaining fight.
    Agreed I'm going to watch Crawford's fight against Burns on you tube before I decide. But I'm very close to being a believer.

Like many of you, I question whether Yuri Gamboa is going to get into that ring against Terence Crawford 100% mentally AND physically ready. I hear he has so many people whispering in his ears that he doesn't know which way to turn.

A fighter needs, not only to be in top physical condition, but top mentaly condition, as well. A fighter needs focus. I don't know if Gamboa has that focus, from things I am hearing.

Even so, Gamboa knows how to fight. Spending years in the Cuban boxing program and as a member of the Cuban National Team tells you he can fight. Nor is he old. Only 32, he is in the physical prime of his life.

It's just the distractions and inactivity--he is taking over a year layoff into the ring on Saturday. You just don't do that at this level and in this kind ofr a fight against a superbly-skilled and conditioned champion such as Crawford.

Also, can Gamboa bring the heat up to 135 pounds, when he has not spent much time at lightweight?

I think Gamboa will have his moments, but Crawford will have more.of them.

In what should be an entertaining bout, I see Terence Crawford holding onto his title by decision.

-Randy G.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    Like many of you, I question whether Yuri Gamboa is going to get into that ring against Terence Crawford 100% mentally AND physically ready. I hear he has so many people whispering in his ears that he doesn't know which way to turn.

A fighter needs, not only to be in top physical condition, but top mentaly condition, as well. A fighter needs focus. I don't know if Gamboa has that focus, from things I am hearing.

Even so, Gamboa knows how to fight. Spending years in the Cuban boxing program and as a member of the Cuban National Team tells you he can fight. Nor is he old. Only 32, he is in the physical prime of his life.

It's just the distractions and inactivity--he is taking over a year layoff into the ring on Saturday. You just don't do that at this level and in this kind ofr a fight against a superbly-skilled and conditioned champion such as Crawford.

Also, can Gamboa bring the heat up to 135 pounds, when he has not spent much time at lightweight?

I think Gamboa will have his moments, but Crawford will have more.of them.

In what should be an entertaining bout, I see Terence Crawford holding onto his title by decision.

-Randy G.
    This is a toss up bout to me. It depends on the Cuban Grorm -- I mean fighter. Hehe! As far as I can guess, Gamboa is off dat syet that he was sharing with baseballer A-Rod [just joking].

This will be a highly mental fight. And Gamboa will feel a bit naked without his PEDs, so I'm bytching out and saying that the bout will end in a draw or kayo for Gambia or runaway decision by T-Craw. Holla!

I think the later the fight gets the better the chances of Crawford taking it. Gamboa is so inactive and i can't imagine 12 hard rounds without things getting iffy for Gamboa stamina wise and punishment. IMO, his best chance is to come out swinging hot early instead of trying to settle in and let the rounds go by. He has the talent and explosiveness to do something but he needs to do that something soon since he is only fighting once a year.