Advertisement
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Adrien Broner - A Problem?

Administrator

Re: Adrien Broner - A Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    What's the opposite of love?

It's not hate.

It's indifference. Sadly, that's the no man's land that's inhabited by most fighters.

People clearly care about this guy.

Not really. That would be wishful thinking. He's gone to extreme lengths to have people look in his direction. It's no more than rubbernecking. You will see as soon as he starts fighting the A grade fighters. Kapoof!

What's the opposite of love?

It's not hate.

It's indifference. Sadly, that's the no man's land that's inhabited by most fighters.

People clearly care about this guy.
    Not sure you'll find many people that care about Broner- I don't think many fans were shedding tears when he was getting beaten up by Maidana. More like grinning ear to ear, or just watching as the better man wins...

Broner has reached the pinnacle of his success. He can't ride the wave of his noisy antics for ever. As Dino says, people rubberneck because he stirs things up. Now that he's found he's limited to much more ordinary opposition, he'll slowly fade from view.

Either that or he gets destroyed by some more elite opposition. Hopefully Thurman, Porter or Provodnikov will get their hands on him.

Quote Originally Posted by dino da vinci View Post
    Not really. That would be wishful thinking. He's gone to extreme lengths to have people look in his direction. It's no more than rubbernecking. You will see as soon as he starts fighting the A grade fighters. Kapoof!
    Is that the wishful thinking part? Ha!

But you may very well be right. Time will tell. But regardless of how he's gotten people to look in his direction, he's also gotten people to care. And he has done that well.

He's polarizing and that amounts to money in the game we call prizefighting.

@Skibbz, his control game can be used on most, regardless of level. I've only really seen Andre Ward and Floyd Mayweather defend it, to be honest. Even the great JMM is a sucker for it.

As great technically as JMM is, within the framework of ABC, he gets befuddled when you do something as simple as turning him, which Broner can do very, very well.

He ate flush shots from Floyd just from being angled and turned and you could see the disgust on his face as he would get hit with simple shots without being able to counter -- because the ABC countering opportunity was unavailable to him. Even Bradley, pulling off, not a poor man's version, but a destitute, bozo man version of Floyd's strategy, left Marquez confused until the final bell.

Not drawing parallels; simple saying the tactic can work very effectively against guys regardless of level.

Canelo has a good and improving control game as well, which impressed Floyd. Lara's is better though. It's some nice, old-school work that's gone overlooked in recent years.

Larry Holmes remained competitive into his sixties, or however old he was, in large part due to his control game. Like Ward points out in the video, while mimicking Holmes' movement to a T, would just control guys

Masterful stuff, really.

Now, the kid has many other deficiencies. Tons. But that attribute alone can help get him very far in his career, and it has already.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    Not sure you'll find many people that care about Broner- I don't think many fans were shedding tears when he was getting beaten up by Maidana. More like grinning ear to ear, or just watching as the better man wins...

Broner has reached the pinnacle of his success. He can't ride the wave of his noisy antics for ever. As Dino says, people rubberneck because he stirs things up. Now that he's found he's limited to much more ordinary opposition, he'll slowly fade from view.

Either that or he gets destroyed by some more elite opposition. Hopefully Thurman, Porter or Provodnikov will get their hands on him.
    When I say care, it doesn't mean that they like him. It's that they care, whether they love or hate him. Look at this thread. There's no sensible argument that will prove otherwise unless one wishes to embarrass oneself.

Skibbz, regarding control, I've drilled one particular move to death that opens up three avenues of attack. I blatantly stole it from Jimmy Young -- which Virgil Hunter/Ward did too -- and incorporated it into my shadow boxing so it could transfer over to sparring.

Within two months of drilling, I could nail much better guys with clean right hands -- nailed one pro with it -- and body shots without even seeing a counter shot thrown back.

Mind you, I'm not that good.

Virgil Hunter has been trying to drill this into Amir Khan and he was following elements of it well against Collazo until he slipped up, got buzzed and then Hunter proceeded to yell at him.

Basically what I did was nullify aggressive incoming attacks coming from behind his jab. I would pull the first jab, duck/slip the second, step in immediately and smother, throw a quick left hook-right hook downstairs, pivot out into a outside angle, STIFF ARM/control the guy's head with my lead hand (Floyd Mayweather Sr. stuff) and take whatever was there, which was often a straight right hand behind my control.

Other times it was a left hook, other times it would be a right hand. Sometimes I could get off three shots before dude had even adjusted to the different angle, after which I would just skip-skip my light feet up outta range before he would hit me back.

This may be a terrible description to visualize a sequence from what I wrote but if you want, I can find an example of Jimmy Young and Ward pulling it off.

To be honest, this tiny implementation -- which happened in super slo-mo -- nullified the immense talent gap between us, albeit just in that sequence.

Nevertheless, the affect was palpable and instant.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 06-28-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Skibbz, regarding control, I've drilled one particular move to death that opens up three avenues of attack. I blatantly stole it from Jimmy Young -- which Virgil Hunter/Ward did too -- and incorporated it into my shadow boxing so it could transfer over to sparring.

Within two months of drilling, I could nail much better guys with clean right hands -- nailed one pro with it -- and body shots without even seeing a counter shot thrown back.

Mind you, I'm not that good.

Virgil Hunter has been trying to drill this into Amir Khan and he was following elements of it well against Collazo until he slipped up, got buzzed and then Hunter proceeded to yell at him.

Basically what I did was nullify aggressive incoming attacks coming from behind his jab. I would pull the first jab, duck/slip the second, step in immediately and smother, throw a quick left hook-right hook downstairs, pivot out into a outside angle, STIFF ARM/control the guy's head with my lead hand (Floyd Mayweather Sr. stuff) and take whatever was there, which was often a straight right hand behind my control.

Other times it was a left hook, other times it would be a right hand. So entires I could get off three shots before dude had even adjusted to the different angle, after which I would skip-skip my light feet up outta range.

This may be a terrible description to visualize a sequence from what I wrote but if you want, I can find an example of Jimmy Young and Ward pulling it off.

To be honest, this tiny implementation -- which happened in super slo-mo -- nullified the immense talent gap between us, albeit just in that sequence.

Nevertheless, the affect was palpable and instant.
    Nice. That sounds like some pretty advanced technique Shadow. I'll have to practice some of that myself.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    Nice. That sounds like some pretty advanced technique Shadow. I'll have to practice some of that myself.
    Give me a few hours and I'll see if I can find some videos where it's on display. It's pretty cool stuff bro. For starters, check out Jimmy Young vs. Ron Lyle, their second fight, I believe. He's incredible.

EDIT: here's the link. http://youtu.be/CTkEsdwvyMM

Go to 9:25, 10:13, and 11:25 and you will see the entry part where he gets close, smothers, and then instantly nails Lyle downstairs with a quick hook. (At 14:25, after he's taken complete control of the fight, you can catch Young control Lyle with his lead hand with nonchalant ease.)

He does it over and over and over and Lyle has no answer for it.

Of course, Young doesn't exit right away since, unlike me, has an inside arsenal and therefore can proceed to continue to punish Lyle in close. Sometimes he stays, sometimes he angles out, other times he pivots out.

What I like to do, besides let my hands go off the control/stiff arm, is once I get in close, I will inside-pivot out (or step around, as they say) to my right and fire a left hook to the body -- a move I took from Broner.

Ward has been doing it before Broner but Broner throws it with such force and crispness. I've seen him paralyze guys with that shot in sparring and in world title fights.

You can catch Ward doing it vs. Carl Froch in the later rounds where he will get in a la Young, step around/pivot and the unload.

Since my arsenal is so limited, I just practice the entry part and try to master the difficult step-around and fire aspect to where it becomes second nature.

Then I can build other points of attack off that. At this point, I can surprise guys. But if they just stop coming in, then I don't have a counter for that of course.

But to summarize, what I do is smother, step around after a left hook-right hook to the body or throw a left hook to the body off the angle as I step around, stiff arm the fucker and hold his mug in place and then fire a straight hand and dart out before he can adjust to the angle.

If you want to see some ultra crazy moves like this, watch Mayweather vs. Gatti starting in the second round how he just comes in, pivots, changes angles and just slices Gatti before he can adjust.

I'm digressing a bit but this is the type of skillful stuff I really dig. It's really cool.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 06-28-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Advanced Users

This Skibbz's Thread about AB just keep getting viewing hits. WTF! Now it's shooting passed $ix thousands views.

OMG! I gotta get me some of those TEDs from Skibbz. Hehehe! Holla!

@Shadow so you're shooting a left to the body? It's a common move, Duran did it incredibly well as did Hatton, it was his money shot. When you're inside, stepping to your right gives you a better shot at the torso, and dipping to your left helps you with the power. I think that's what you're saying, it's a good move if you can pull it off. I don't know many amateurs that would let that happen though unless they've got no legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    This Skibbz's Thread about AB just keep getting viewing hits. WTF! Now it's shooting passed $ix thousands views.

OMG! I gotta get me some of those TEDs from Skibbz. Hehehe! Holla!
    You need no TEDs RG, just a few caraway seeds and Adrien Broner! The fighter brings in traffic like a donkey in the middle of a road.