English Español
Advertisement
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Adrien Broner - A Problem?

Administrator

Re: Adrien Broner - A Problem?

I'm with R2, The GreyFella and Skibbz on this one.

He is athletic and has good reflexes. Knows how to fight and box but is so cocky that he tries to do things while looking good. Seems to have great stamina and an OK chin. Maidana knocks dudes out cold or badly if he gets that many shots at someone for 12 rounds.

I think Skibbz summed it up pretty well.

Broner can only shine when he's fighting at his own pace. Opponents like Malignaggi in the early rounds, or Maidana for 12, who push him relentlessly, giving him no chance to set up, beat him hands down.

Yes Broner is athletic, has good reflexes, can moves his hands quickly, and is capable of throwing good punches, but he also has a lot of negatives. He's increasingly immobile in the ring, fights in bursts, has a habit of slapping his punches, which aren't particularly strong at 140, and even less so at 147. Agree with flacko though that he must have something of a chin- his defence is exposed as poor, whether he's imitating 'big bro' or not, his defence can't handle punches in bunches, or sustained assaults.

I'd like to see him fight Khan, Porter or Thurman at some point.

@Flacko I agree, he's got a good chin and recuperates well after a shot. Just wish he fought more of the round and stopped caring about the eyes watching. Put everyone outside to stone and just get on with the job.

@Greyman I would love to see him face Thurman. I just want to see Thurman fight the best guys, I think he's got what it takes to beat a lot of people at 147 and potentially at 154 too depending on who he faces. I'm a Thurman convert. It only takes one time baby!

Advanced Users

Wow! Skibbz is killing it with this Broner Thread. He has now become the second Poster/Reader to get over 3,000 hits on a Thread. Wow! The chase is on. He is moving up on A-seng Thread about the 3g killa. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Wow! Skibbz is killing it with this Broner Thread. He has now become the second Poster/Reader to get over 3,000 hits on a Thread. Wow! The chase is on. He is moving up on A-seng Thread about the 3g killa. Holla!
    Indeed!

Now what do you see in Broner? I still haven't seen anyone give an assessment that factors in some of his greatest strengths, at least what I think are his greatest strengths.

So far it sounds to me like people are describing a Gamboa off the juice.

EDIT: You know what's even more fascinating about this thread, Radam? It's the reply/view ratio. It's usually around 1-10 or 10-100.

In this case, it's an absolutely mind blowing 2-100!!

Fascinating, isn't it?

You know what this suggests to me? Quite a few things. A LOT of interesting things, actually.

I'll hold out on that for a bit, though. I'll say this: he must be doing something right.

I remember someone telling me he wasn't polarizing. What a moronic statement.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 06-26-2014 at 12:17 PM.

3K and going is a sign that Broner's got fans..

@Shadow I haven't watched every single Broner fight so maybe that means I've missed something intrinsic about him or his style. What would you say his greatest strength is? And we still haven't gotten your assessment..

Joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    The self-entitled CEO Adrien Broner divides much opinion amongst boxing fans. To some he is a legitimate 3 time world champion and a justifiable PVP star, walking in the footsteps of his 'big brother' Floyd Mayweather and ready to take over the reigns when Floyd retires from the sport. To others, he is a loud-mouthed and unjustifiably arrogant fighter who doesn't walk the talk he so exuberantly talks.

The 24 year old Cincinnati native started his professional boxing career fighting at 133lb back in 2008. After only 3 years at that weight, he dropped down to 128 1/2 to fight for the WBO Super featherweight title against Eloy Perez, winning by a 4th round TKO. After failing to make weight in the first defence of his Super Featherweight world title (in which he came in at a bursting 133 1/2 lb) the belt was up for grabs only to his opponent Vicente Escobedo, who The Problem unsurprisingly dispatched by TKO in 5.

His next fight was for the much coveted WBC Lightweight Title against Antonio Demarco. Broner was slow to start but fought his man out of the ring in the 8th. A string of TKO's in world title fights boosted the renown and acclaim of the young fighter and he was quick to build a fan base.

After defending his title against the Welshman Gavin Rees, and only 5 years after making his pro debut, Adrien Broner was again leap frogging the weight classes and was now preparing to face off against Paulie Malignaggi for his WBA World Welterweight title. After a controversial Split Decision victory, Broner had become a 3 time world champion. A seemingly elite breed of fighter who could move up and down in weight and conquer his foes.

His next challenge came in the rugged Argentinian banger, Marcos Maidana. In this fight, Broner made a catalogue of errors and almost failed to appear until the final throws of the bout. He was sent to the canvas in rounds 2 and 8 and left with is tail tucked between his legs before he could be interviewed.

Broner's latest outing was in a scheduled 10 rounder against Carlos Molina at 140lb. Molina who is not a top grade fighter managed to take the fight the full distance against the 3 time world champion.

That's the boxing background of The Problem, with his antics outside of the ring left for you guys to evaluate.

What do you guys think of Adrien? Is he world class? Is he worthy of the belts he holds? Has he been exposed by Maidana, will he be further exposed by high calibre opponents at the top level? There's been a lot of debate on Adrien Broner in other threads... Let's get your opinions!

He is a JOKE.

Quote Originally Posted by moonshineman View Post
    He is a JOKE.
    Welcome to the Forum!

I take it you don't like him too much?