English Español
Advertisement
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fight Countdown- Vasyl Lomachenko vs Gary Russell Jr

Re: Fight Countdown- Vasyl Lomachenko vs Gary Russell Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    There are tons of fighting families that come from the amateurs. The Russell clan has three or four brothers that have won national Golden Gloves championships. And all of G-Russ Sr's sons have won national amateur championships.

I don't know what you mean by the fam's pops not being a parasite. But he is and was a meddler. He was disruptive at the 08 O-Games, as I noted in TSS's old Universe back then. Lucky I was allowed in the mix.

Oh, YUP! G-Russ Sr was the major instigator of his son G-Russ Junebug passing out from not cutting weight the correct way. And, thus, not competing.

BTW, because of the aggressive Pops G-RS, all the pops were kicked out of the 08 U.S. O-Games training camp for constantly meddling. Holla!
    Yeah...he's that too. He can create them but I think he may break them too.

Hey RG, what are some good gyms in the DC area? You know the DC boxing scene a little bit, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    There are tons of fighting families that come from the amateurs. The Russell clan has three or four brothers that have won national Golden Gloves championships. And all of G-Russ Sr's sons have won national amateur championships.

I don't know what you mean by the fam's pops not being a parasite. But he is and was a meddler. He was disruptive at the 08 O-Games, as I noted in TSS's old Universe back then. Lucky I was allowed in the mix.

Oh, YUP! G-Russ Sr was the major instigator of his son G-Russ Junebug passing out from not cutting weight the correct way. And, thus, not competing.

BTW, because of the aggressive Pops G-RS, all the pops were kicked out of the 08 U.S. O-Games training camp for constantly meddling. Holla!
    Yeah I heard about Russell seniors' Olympic experience. But I applaud the man for creating 5 amateur champs. That's a powerfully influential father.
    Russell's medling aside ... Those kids could have easily endind up clogging the court system and being a menace to society. At least he put them boys on a proper path.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Excellent analysis.

You know, I caught myself thinking the very same thing. I, too, noted that very, very real confidence they all have. I was never a huge fan of their dad but I do give him serious props for that. He must have some mettle as a coach.

I also noted that he seems far stronger mentally than given credit for.

Nice, poignant and astute observations from the boxing guru B-Suge. As usual. What prediction now? I have to admit I'm a little swayed. I see it going 12 rounds.

Based in their confidence, it seems like there was methods to their madness. Feasting on those scrubs - based on what he says - seems to have been for the purpose of addressing little chinks in Gary's armor that they could work on in practice and later correct in battle without the risk of catching a silly defeat. And at the same time slowly but steadily moving him into mandatory position.

If that is the case, which it seemed to be, then it's pretty freakin' smart. I can totally see GR taking it.

On a different note, how do you see a F. Mayweather-MMAidana rematch going?
    I'm just saying Russell truly wants the fight. He believes he can win and although he could very well lose ...Russell is probably not going to get blasted out and broken down like he doesn't belong in a fight of this magnitude.

But still without seeing Russell face adversity I'm not going to go out on a limb... I just believe he has a better chance than what he's been given credit for. I just hope its a good fight...I gotta root for Team USA.

Maidana will be stronger and bolder than ever. ... Maidana has the potential of being to Maidana what Marquez was to Pacquiao.

But Mayweather always looks sharper in his second fight of the year. He will turn it into an Algieri like bicycle fest... Peppering Maidana while on the "run" lol......and surviving a few clean shots from the suddenly hulking Argentinian.
    Maidana reminds me of Bane from the Batman comics... The super villian who is hooked up to those steriod hoses. Maidana has grown from a small welter to a beast in one year.
    I'm not accusing him of being dirty but what a convenient time to undergo a growth spurt.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    I'm just saying Russell truly wants the fight. He believes he can win and although he could very well lose ...Russell is probably not going to get blasted out and broken down like he doesn't belong in a fight of this magnitude.

But still without seeing Russell face adversity I'm not going to go out on a limb... I just believe he has a better chance than what he's been given credit for. I just hope its a good fight...I gotta root for Team USA.

Maidana will be stronger and bolder than ever. ... Maidana has the potential of being to Maidana what Marquez was to Pacquiao.

But Mayweather always looks sharper in his second fight of the year. He will turn it into an Algieri like bicycle fest... Peppering Maidana while on the "run" lol......and surviving a few clean shots from the suddenly hulking Argentinian.
    Maidana reminds me of Bane from the Batman comics... The super villian who is hooked up to those steriod hoses. Maidana has grown from a small welter to a beast in one year.
    I'm not accusing him of being dirty but what a convenient time to undergo a growth spurt.
    Yeah, it sure seems to happen a lot doesn't it?

Lol I just googled Bane...LMFAO!!!!!! You are too funny...

In any case, I think it speaks volumes to how outdated traditional boxing training methods are. Most fighters still train like Jack Dempsey, which is ridiculous considering all the new equipment and stuff we have out there.

Every other sport has evolved with the times in its preparatory methods. Even boxing' combat cousin MMA is ahead of the curve. Boxing seems to lag behind.

Either way, MMAidana will fight hard. And he will do damage...by hook or by crook.

Russell? He will not be intimidated by the moment. There was a method to their madness, apparently. We will see if it pays off.

Who's that in your picture by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    Very true Obob.

In defeat, we analyse everything we did wrong and right, we're likely to learn from the mistakes of a performance that didn't bring us the results we were after.

There can be a tendency to forget lessons leaned in victory. The victory itself can cloud your memory of the event, causing you to forget the inevitable flaws in your performance, and instead look at it as rosy perfection because of the 'W' that followed.

To the truly wise, it is experience that makes you learn, regardless of victory or defeat. Every experience is a learning opportunity. Let's hop Vasyl's be learning fast.
    Excellent post. Not all losses are career-killers. Especially true in two-sided fights, where both guys give 1000% and leave us standing and cheering.

This could well be one of them.

It's easier to picture Russell at 24-1 than it is to picture V-Lo at 1-2.

It's also easier to picture V-Lo outthinking Russell and finishing stronger.

That's why my pick is V-Lo by decision.

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    Excellent post. Not all losses are career-killers. Especially true in two-sided fights, where both guys give 1000% and leave us standing and cheering.

This could well be one of them.

It's easier to picture Russell at 24-1 than it is to picture V-Lo at 1-2.

It's also easier to picture V-Lo outthinking Russell and finishing stronger.

That's why my pick is V-Lo by decision.

-Randy G.
    Exactly. The progress of your career in the ring is determined by the quality of your performance much more than by the result. Provodnikov propelled his career by his performance against Bradley.

I agree with you on V-Lo too. I think he's too cleaver for Russell. Unless Russell has got somthing we've never seen before, and V-Lo brings it out of him, then I agree with V-Lo by decision.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post

I guarantee you we won't see the same guy. I GUARANTEE YOU! He will get chopped up so bad it's not even funny. That's all I gotta say. He's gonna get destroyed in violent fashion.

Yeah, it sure seems to happen a lot doesn't it?

Lol I just googled Bane...LMFAO!!!!!! You are too funny...

In any case, I think it speaks volumes to how outdated traditional boxing training methods are. Most fighters still train like Jack Dempsey, which is ridiculous considering all the new equipment and stuff we have out there.

Every other sport has evolved with the times in its preparatory methods. Even boxing' combat cousin MMA is ahead of the curve. Boxing seems to lag behind.

Either way, MMAidana will fight hard. And he will do damage...by hook or by crook.

Russell? He will not be intimidated by the moment. There was a method to their madness, apparently. We will see if it pays off.

Who's that in your picture by the way?
    Shadow that's my extremely photogenic granddaughter... I took her to the Writing Wrongs Poetry Slam last night since she's been hanging out at my place all week.
    We both read our own original poetry ....but she nailed it... She really lit up the crowd and made me a proud gramps. I posted her picture because I told the audience about the Forum Contest since so many outstanding writers go there.
    And you know how broke poets are..
    I posted her picture so if any of the want to join they could see a familiar face and know they've arrived at the right place.

I may have misunderstood, or taken it out of its context (since I really didn't follow the thread), but: traditional boxing training methods will never be outdated. Never. Ever.

Right on Grimm. I have a book - The Fundamentals of Boxing by Barney Ross- 1942. Its a wealth of old school knowledge that I would put up against any new age exercises/techniques. Chapters include: Clinching. Body punching/infighting. Relaxing between rounds.Before the match. Solving troublesome opponents, and so much more