English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fight Countdown- Vasyl Lomachenko vs Gary Russell Jr

Advanced Users

Re: Fight Countdown- Vasyl Lomachenko vs Gary Russell Jr

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    Sometimes in boxing a fighter can grow much more from a loss than they do in any win they may have had previous. This could be one of these fights where Russell comes up short but becomes a better overall fighter afterward.

A young Bernard Hopkins met a young Roy Jones Jr. in 1993. Hopkins lost decisively that night. He went on from that to become a legend himself despite the set back in his first major fight and major step up in competition.

For young fighters, losses aren't always bad. Sometimes they can be blessings in disguise. Could this be the case for Russell if he loses to Lomachenko on Saturday (as long as of course it is not by devastating KO)?
    Late at night, and the whole truth, I still have to write. NO! A loing beat down won't "be blessings in disgude" for G-Russ Junebug. He is a lollilug [$¡¢]. He will continue his charade. And will have an alibi ready made.

Some fighters are brought up and alone wrong. And their tolerance of extreme self delusion is quite long.

He never learn a bit. I have to hit da bit. Holla!

I'm about to make a nice profit off of Russell. His skills are comparable to Lomachenko's and he is the better athlete. The only way I see Russell losing is if he breaks his hand or has some kind of freak accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoulder Roll Defense View Post
    I'm about to make a nice profit off of Russell. His skills are comparable to Lomachenko's and he is the better athlete. The only way I see Russell losing is if he breaks his hand or has some kind of freak accident.
    You will make a nice profit. GR is at +140 right now. I thought it would be even or +110 for GR. The usual suspects are giving me even money and picking GR. GR has broken his hand before and I think he had a little trouble with his hand in this camp. GR has fast hands similar to VL, but I think VL has the better footwork. I also think VL has been head and shoulders above anyone GR has boxed so far. If VL fights at the pace GR sets then I see him losing, but I think he is going to go at break-neck speed and bad intentions ,so I am going with VL.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by Shoulder Roll Defense View Post
    I rise from da pit, and see that SRD is here talking the S word that rhymes with spit. Hehehe! G-Russ Junebug is going to likely fake breaks in his hands and out he is going to freak.

L-Vo is gonna make dat sucka realize that G-RJ's skills are down in the bottom valley low, and nowhere on the mountain peak.

L-Vo is going to be soaring like an eagle. G-RJ is going to be barking and looking to his fam pack like a beagle.

G-RJ can fool all the people, who want to be fooled, all the time. But he knows that he is far from a dime.

In this dance, his so-called speed won't show. And his energy is going to be incredibly low.

Dude is in deep fright. He Will not have a G night.

And once again -- like in 08 at the O-Games -- he will not be able to handle the limelight.

Expect another big excuse and pathetic sight! Holla

I'm raised in a different betting system, what does +140 mean? Can someone break that down for me?

When's it's " plus " a number it means they are the underdog and you get paid out that number for every 100 bucks u bet. So +140 means that of you bet 100 dollars on GR you get back your 100 plus 140. So the opposite is minus/- ... if a guy is a -200 favorite your have to bet 200 dollars To win 100 dollars, Since they are the favorite you get paid less for your bet.

Someone else can explain it with better detail probably but that's pretty much the get down...I think.

Quote Originally Posted by flackoguapo View Post
    When's it's " plus " a number it means they are the underdog and you get paid out that number for every 100 bucks u bet. So +140 means that of you bet 100 dollars on GR you get back your 100 plus 140. So the opposite is minus/- ... if a guy is a -200 favorite your have to bet 200 dollars To win 100 dollars, Since they are the favorite you get paid less for your bet.

Someone else can explain it with better detail probably but that's pretty much the get down...I think.
    Makes sense! Thanks!

Why do coaches always wear that serious deadpan expression on their faces as if they know a truth about you that they feel you can't handle.
    Boxing coaches are the most grim and dour facilitators of sports training in the world. I'm not saying they don't know how to party or present a pleasant side infront of the camera but every one I've had the privilege of working with, displayed the heaviness of a pall-bearer carrying a personal acquaintance to his final resting place.

this is also true about Gary Russell Senior. it doesn't take the discernment of a detective with the deductive qualities of Batman to determine that his flat nose and thick eyelids were the result of his personal time with the sweet science. His reserved emotionless demeanor belies his wisdom as a coach.

As it turns out Russell senior has raised a battalion of boxers withing his immediate family. at least 4 of Russell's siblings have won the local golden gloves tournament. and although that isn't the same of winning a world championship it's still an outstanding achievement. And it provides a skilled base of sparring partners at economical rates. Russell has access to several exceptional amateur standouts in his fathers stable in addition to his 4 brothers.

I first viewed Russells Dad like I view Hollywood Mothers.... Those desperate dregs of humanity who drag their off spring from one audition to another in the hopes they can live vicariously through the success and finances of their off spring.

Unlike many fathers of talented Athletes,.. Russell Senior is no such parasite. In fact it can be said that he is a primary reason his son's are so successful.

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out why Russell accepted this fight. I thought incorrectly that he was painted into a corner and didn't want to appear to be a coward for not accepting the fight.

It has been said that Russell is weak mentally and in character.... apon further examination of the Russell clan this statement can't be further from the truth.

Russell believes he can win this.... his father and his inner circle believe they can win this. There is no lack of confidence with his team and the fight is not happening because he was bullied into the contract due to overly greedy and ambitious promoters hoping to cash out.

Their is a powerful mindset within Russells inner circle that he can win this.

Oh, the lack of recognizable names on his resume.

Russell's dad says that doesn't matter. The whole purpose of getting to 23-0 was to fight for the championship after Russell Jr had gained enough of the invaluable knowledge of how to go rounds. he feels the preparation will be beneficial and even surpasses the experience Lomanchenko had with Salido.

But in the end,.........When it comes down to it. no amount of spiritual or mental preparation can superceed getting concussed by a harder hitter.

I think this fight will be fought on more equal terms than I first imagined and the winner or loser is not a foregone conclusion.
    Russell has a chance and I think his chances are quite a bit larger than we originally thought.
    Last edited by brownsugar; 06-18-2014 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Why do coaches always wear that serious deadpan expression of their faces as if they know a truth about you that they feel you can't handle.
    Boxing coaches are the most grim and dour facilitators of sports training in the world. I'm not saying they don't know how to party or present a pleasant side infront of the camera but every one I've had the privilege of working with, displayed the heaviness of pall-bearer carrying a personal acquaintance to his final resting place.

this is also true about Gary Russell Senior. it doesn't take the discernment of a detective with the deductive qualities of Batman to determine that his flat nose and thick eyelids were the result of his personal time with the sweet science. His reserved emotionless demeanor belies his wisdom as a coach.

As it turns out Russell senior has raised a battalion of boxers withing his immediate family. at least 4 of Russell's siblings have won the local golden gloves tournament. and although that isn't the same of winning a world championship it's still an outstanding achievement. And it provides a skilled base of sparring partners at economical rates. Russell has access to several exceptional amateur standouts in his fathers stable in addition to his 4 brothers.

I first viewed Russells Dad like I view Hollywood Mothers.... Those desperate dregs of humanity who drag their off spring from one audition to another in the hopes they can live vicariously through the success and finances of their off spring.

Unlike many fathers of talented Athletes,.. Russell Senior is no such parasite. In fact it can be said that he is a primary reason his son's are so successful.

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out why Russell accepted this fight. I thought incorrectly that he was painted into a corner and didn't want to appear to be a coward for not accepting the fight.

It has been said that Russell is weak mentally and in character.... apon further examination of the Russell clan this statement can't be further from the truth.

Russell believes he can win this.... his father and his inner circle believe they can win this. There is no lack of confidence with his team and the fight is not happening because he was bullied into the contract due to overly greedy and ambitious promoters hoping to cash out.

Their is a powerful mindset within Russells inner circle that he can win this.

Oh, the lack of recognizable names on his resume.

Russell's dad says that doesn't matter. The whole purpose of getting to 23-0 was to fight for the championship after Russell Jr had gained enough of the invaluable knowledge of how to go rounds. he feels the preparation will be beneficial and even surpasses the experience Lomanchenko had with Salido.

But in the end,.........When it comes down to it. no amount of spiritual or mental preparation can superceed getting concussed by a harder hitter.

I think this fight will be fought on more equal terms than I first imagined and the winner or loser is not a foregone conclusion.
    Russell has a chance and I think his chances are quite a bit larger than we originally thought.
    Excellent analysis.

You know, I caught myself thinking the very same thing. I, too, noted that very, very real confidence they all have. I was never a huge fan of their dad but I do give him serious props for that. He must have some mettle as a coach.

I also noted that he seems far stronger mentally than given credit for.

Nice, poignant and astute observations from the boxing guru B-Suge. As usual. What is your prediction now? I have to admit I'm a little swayed. I see it going 12 rounds.

Based in their confidence, it seems like there was methods to their madness. Feasting on those scrubs - based on what he says - seems to have been for the purpose of addressing little chinks in Gary's armor that they could work on in practice and later correct in battle without the risk of catching a silly defeat. And at the same time slowly but steadily moving him into mandatory position.

If that is the case, which it seemed to be, then it's pretty freakin' smart. I can totally see GR taking it.

On a different note, how do you see a F. Mayweather-MMAidana rematch going?
    Last edited by The Shadow; 06-18-2014 at 02:02 AM.

Advanced Users

There are tons of fighting families that come from the amateurs. The Russell clan has three or four brothers that have won national Golden Gloves championships. And all of G-Russ Sr's sons have won national amateur championships.

I don't know what you mean by the fam's pops not being a parasite. But he is and was a meddler. He was disruptive at the 08 O-Games, as I noted in TSS's old Universe back then. Lucky I was allowed in the mix.

Oh, YUP! G-Russ Sr was the major instigator of his son G-Russ Junebug passing out from not cutting weight the correct way. And, thus, not competing.

BTW, because of the aggressive Pops G-RS, all the pops were kicked out of the 08 U.S. O-Games training camp for constantly meddling. Holla!