English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Haye returns?

David Haye returns?

David Haye has suggested a return to the ring is likely for him in the relatively near future, all depending on the condition of his shoulder.

Where do you see him fitting into the mix should the Hayemaker make a come back?

If he's anything like on form, I see him taking care of any of the heavyweight prospects in Britain right now, giving Wilder a seriously hard time, and maybe even making a challenge for the title again in a year or two.

I was always a massive fan of him, and I wish him all the best in his attempted recovery.

Re: David Haye returns?

That shoulder of his has a habit of getting injured and healing completely in a matter of days.

I think Fury has gained enough momentum to beat him. With Peter behind him and the host of heavyweight's he's been sparring I'll give Tyson a real look in if they fought... I don't know what Haye and his shoulder will do though, who knows the Hayemaker may find the injury returns....

David has to decide what he wants, does he want to be a TV pundit, does he want to make exercise DVD's or does he want to be a heavyweight boxer again. The division is loosening up thanks to the Klitschko hegemony starting to fade. Opportunities are out there and if he's not fast he will find himself left out of the mix no matter how much singing and dancing he does in front of the screen.

I think Haye likes attention. Well, he likes it a lot. A comeback fight against the right opponent will garner a lot of attention. So yes I think we see him in the ring again.

The name that has been kicked around some is Antonio Tarver. This fight makes a lot of sense though not one I am particularly interested in seeing.

Tarver is a name and is also seeking a big fight. If Haye makes a comeback, he'll want an opponent who will grab the media's attention but one who he thinks he can handle in the ring. A mid 40's Tarver would more than qualify.

I will say I don't see Haye competing with any of the top heavyweights. But he has a knack of talking himself into making money in attention grabbing fights and I think we will see him back to his old tricks at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    David Haye has suggested a return to the ring is likely for him in the relatively near future, all depending on the condition of his shoulder.

Where do you see him fitting into the mix should the Hayemaker make a come back?

If he's anything like on form, I see him taking care of any of the heavyweight prospects in Britain right now, giving Wilder a seriously hard time, and maybe even making a challenge for the title again in a year or two.

I was always a massive fan of him, and I wish him all the best in his attempted recovery.
    David Haye is more of a part time boxing hobbyist than a heavyweight contender.
    Although he has (had) been blessed with some amazing physical gifts and talent, he chose to squander his career in his never ending quest of the limelight.

Boxing is just a fall back gig for Haye until he can break into the entertainment business.

He never truly fought his way up the ladder or committed to the ceaseless grind that is required to establish himself as a serious contender.

Haye jumped the natural pecking order by talking his way into a few marquee matches but he never put forth a consistent effort to become a fixture in the division like the former UK hall of famer (Lewis) who was a champion not only in word but a fighter who embodied the spirit of what it means to be a Brittish champion in every fiber of his being.

David Have couldn't carry Lewis's jock strap with the aid of hand cart. If I sound a little harsh its because I watched the man whom I once had the highest regards for toss his once unlimited potential into the rubbish heap.

I don't begrudge Haye a means to make a quid but I think he'd be better served by following the example of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and going the route of becoming a professional Wrestler and later branching off to a career on the silver screen. Why should he use boxing to satiate his hunger to become a celebrity when there is an easier way to reach his ultimate goals.

For the sake of discussion if he's really serious about making a run for the title .... I'd recommend what Skibbz said a week ago... Let him give Eddie Chambers a go first to see what he's made of.
    Last edited by brownsugar; 06-18-2014 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    David Haye is more of a part time boxing hobbyist than a heavyweight contender.
    Although he has (had) been bless with some amazing physical gifts and talent, he chose to squander his career in his never ending quest of the limelight.

Boxing is just a fall back gig for Hate until he can break into the entertained business.

He never truly fought his way up the ladder or committed to the ceaseless grind that is required to establish himself as a serious contender.

Haye jumped the natural pecking order by talking his way into a few marquee matches but he never put forth a consistent effort to become a fixture in the division like the former UK hall of famer (Lewis) who was a champion not only in word but a fighter who embodied the spirit of what it means to be a Brittish champion is in every fiber of his being.

David Have couldn't carry Lewis's jock strap with the aid of hand cart. If I sound a little harsh its because I watched the man whom I once had the highest regards for toss his once unlimited potential into the rubbish heap.

I don't begrudge Haye a means to make a quid but I think he'd be better served following the example of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and going the route of becoming a professional Wrestler and later branching off to a career on the silver screen. Why should he use boxing to satiate his hunger to become a celebrity when there is an easier way to reach his ultimate goals.

For the sake of discussion if he's really serious about making a run for the title .... I'd recommend what Skibbz said a week ago... Let him give Eddie Chambers a go first to see what he's made of.
    As always Brownsugar you prove to be both insightful and informed in your opinion. David has spent too much time searching for the limelight that he forgot about boxing. Now he's realised that his claim to fame came from boxing and without boxing his celebrity will fade!

I think you're right, David's best days are behind him in my opinion and joining the wrestling/entertainment circuit could be his best option and one that would suit him more than jumping back into the ring.

If he does decide he wants the hunger and privation before the glory, then we seem to both agree on him giving Eddie Chambers a go. Eddie is training morning and night with the Fury's and his shape is getting better after every hour of training. David is a top athlete in terms of diet and he keeps in shape but I think his skills may have dropped a few notches from this break he's been on. I would fancy Eddie in a match up, because he would prove to be the hungrier of the pair. It's a risky fight for Haye to take because should he lose, he will certainly end up in a rubbish heap along with his fading talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    As always Brownsugar you prove to be both insightful and informed in your opinion. David has spent too much time searching for the limelight that he forgot about boxing. Now he's realised that his claim to fame came from boxing and without boxing his celebrity will fade!

I think you're right, David's best days are behind him in my opinion and joining the wrestling/entertainment circuit could be his best option and one that would suit him more than jumping back into the ring.

If he does decide he wants the hunger and privation before the glory, then we seem to both agree on him giving Eddie Chambers a go. Eddie is training morning and night with the Fury's and his shape is getting better after every hour of training. David is a top athlete in terms of diet and he keeps in shape but I think his skills may have dropped a few notches from this break he's been on. I would fancy Eddie in a match up, because he would prove to be the hungrier of the pair. It's a risky fight for Haye to take because should he lose, he will certainly end up in a rubbish heap along with his fading talent.
    Agreed... Even Wilder lined up thirty stiffs in his quest for a title ... The heavyweight title is not for the faint of heart or those just seeking to bask in the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Agreed... Even Wilder lined up thirty stiffs in his quest for a title ... The heavyweight title is not for the faint of heart or those just seeking to bask in the spotlight.
    Lol you put it brilliantly.

"Fallback gig for Haye until he can break into the entertainment business."

That's classic, funny and deep.

And at one point, I did think that was the case. But not anymore. You see, the universe/God/karma whatever you wanna call it has a way of taking things away you take for granted to remind you of the gift you've been blessed with.

After having it thrust from him and seeing how British boxing has not only survived but flourished in his absence, it has reawakened his natural competitive desire; something he must have within him. Otherwise he couldn't have become champion.

And that something never, ever dies. It may hibernate from time to time. But it never dies.

I think he's realized that. I saw a modesty, a hunger, a desire in his eyes in his interviews while a spectator at different fights. I think he's truly back and completely dedicated.

A fully dedicated David Haye is a NIGHTMARE for anyone not named Klitschko. The dude may be the biggest puncher P4P; I think he is by a long shot.

His speed has always been overrated to me but his head movement is right up there with the best. He's as elusive as Andre Ward and Bernard Hopkins. I think he BLASTS out Antonio Tarver with relative ease.

"Why should he use boxing to satiate his hunger to become a celebrity when there is an easier way to reach his ultimate goals."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that was brilliant I couldn't stop laughing. Going on the wrestling circuit...

(For the record, I've done competitive Brazilian jiu-jitsu, boxing, tried karate, done plenty of sports but none -- and I mean NONE -- compared to the rigors of pro wrestling.

Not even close. I tried a wrestling camp for a week. Holy $hit. If he wants to satiate his lust for fame through that avenue, he will come running back to boxing quickly a rather to take on Wlad in a heartbeat. It is so grueling.)

At some point, this dude really wanted to be the black James Bond. Just like David Beckham wanted to explore LA. He failed to realize that the Hollywood is not for gentlemen and the faint of heart. Becks (and Brits period, unless drunk) has too much class, not enough crass.

I think Haye was humbled by the injury, the realization that he no longer ruled Britain, that time may have passed him by, that he vanquished his prime away trying to be a celeb gaily showing his arse on pictures while posing under waterfalls...

I think he's looked deep within himself and found out who he is. And that's a bad a$$ who likes to knock people the F out.

Anyway, awesome comments, Suge.

We've talked about David Haye v Antonio Tarver. How about Haye against another media-seeking heavyweight, the hard-punching, solid-chinned and comebacking Shannon Briggs, who has made several stiffs even stiffer in a few comeback fights. He's got three first-round KO's in as many fights.

Of course, it's not just the media ayyention these guys crave. It's the money. Briggs is 42. He looks at the heavyweight division and thinks he can beat all of them. So, he worked himself into the best shape he's EVER been in and now looks the way he should have looked 15 years ago. He looks like a fearsome heavyweight contender. Still, he's a 42-year-old hard-hitting heavyweight with asthma. Stamina is not his thing. Neither is youth.

David Haye hasn't fought in nearly two years. He has all the physical attributes a top heavyweight should be in possession of. His shoulder has been repaired. ACtually, it has been rebuilt. He has been rehabbing it. There is no answer as to how good/strong/effective it will be after all the rehab work. Remember, he'll be returning to professional boxing, not to recreational golf.

So, for my money, give me David Haye v Shannon Briggs. That one can't by anything less than a fun fight to watch, both in the pre-fight buildup and in the match itself.

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    We've talked about David Haye v Antonio Tarver. How about Haye against another media-seeking heavyweight, the hard-punching, solid-chinned and comebacking Shannon Briggs, who has made several stiffs even stiffer in a few comeback fights. He's got three first-round KO's in as many fights.

Of course, it's not just the media ayyention these guys crave. It's the money. Briggs is 42. He looks at the heavyweight division and thinks he can beat all of them. So, he worked himself into the best shape he's EVER been in and now looks the way he should have looked 15 years ago. He looks like a fearsome heavyweight contender. Still, he's a 42-year-old hard-hitting heavyweight with asthma. Stamina is not his thing. Neither is youth.

David Haye hasn't fought in nearly two years. He has all the physical attributes a top heavyweight should be in possession of. His shoulder has been repaired. ACtually, it has been rebuilt. He has been rehabbing it. There is no answer as to how good/strong/effective it will be after all the rehab work. Remember, he'll be returning to professional boxing, not to recreational golf.

So, for my money, give me David Haye v Shannon Briggs. That one can't by anything less than a fun fight to watch, both in the pre-fight buildup and in the match itself.

-Randy G.
    EPIC match!! The more I think about it, the more I like it! It will be explosive, a decent comeback fight, a sellable name in the UK, ridiculous pre-fight banter.

I couldn't think of anything better, Commish. PUSH FOR IT!

That said you nailed it on the analysis. He looks great, yes. But he's a faded fighter with asthma. Not to mention big muscles don't exactly help your endurance. Neither does that juice.

So no, lol, stamina is DEFINITELY not his thing.

I agree with most of what's been said in this thread.

If Haye can get back on form, if his injury doesn't hold him back, and if he can successfully work off the ring rust against some mid level opponents, then good luck to him. I hope he challenges for the title one last time if he can manage all three. Seeing him fight Deontay for a title, in London, would pack Wembley again, and be one hell of an unforgettable fight. One of them would surely finish the night on the canvass. But I'm getting ahead of myself. One step at a time for Haye at the moment.

There's a few different names he could bring himself back against. I love the idea of Tarver or Briggs, and personally I'd love to see how he'd match up against Fury these days. Another great 'Battle of Britain' waiting to be made.

As for His physical condition... Only Haye knows the state of his shoulder: the rest of us will have to see him in the ring before we know. It's like Martinez' knee- untill the first bell rings, nobody knows (though lets not start on THAT argument again).

Stamina-wise, the lay-off could have done his body some good. Pro-boxing, especially heavyweight, is a gruelling and rigorous activity for the human body, and a two year recovery and reset period could be good for him. Or it could be bad, we'll have to see.