English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight vs Work - How do you score a fight?

Weight vs Work - How do you score a fight?

With a lot of questions raised about the way in which Saturday night's Provodnikov - Algieri fight was scored, not least by the way in which everyone's scorecards, and views of the fight, seem to differ so violently; it's a nice time to discuss the subtitles of how to score professional boxing.

The main question raised in this particular bout for me was: Was the weight of Provodnikov's punches enough to counterbalance the work-rate of Algieri's?

CompuBox had Algieri up by almost a hundred punches, yet the man looked like he'd just fallen out of a tree and hit every branch on the way down. Provodnikov meanwhile, seemed relatively undamaged.

So how do you win a round? Is it by sheer number of 'clean' shots landed on your opponent? If so then you could easily keep tapping away at your man (as many are suggesting Algieri did) and take the rounds. This isn't amateur boxing at the end of the day.

Or is it by weight of assault? A hard punch that clearly hurts your opponent surely makes up for several lighter shots, but how many?

Or is it a combination of the two? While there are specific criteria on which we score a bout, scoring is subjective at the end of the day- what's your view?

Re: Weight vs Work - How do you score a fight?

Good question.The Grey..but one thing I am sure of. Decisions can't be won on the basis on the fighters appearance after the fight.
    Can anyone imagine the judges looking at boxers like the prize winning bulls at the county fair?
    Counting the cuts and measuring the blood splotches, gashes and missing teeth to see who the ugliest fighter is.

Boxing would have been turned into a true bloodsport decades ago if that was the case.
    The single goal would be to mark up an opponents face instead of boxing. And that can be done in a variety of ways without the need for real boxing skills.

Heavy punches should get more credit than light punches. But when the heavy puncher is barely landing and is no longer hurting his man or derailing his opponents onslaught, shouldn't the fighter landing the most punches be rewarded for his proficiency?

In a competition based on skill I can see no other outcome.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    With a lot of questions raised about the way in which Saturday night's Provodnikov - Algieri fight was scored, not least by the way in which everyone's scorecards, and views of the fight, seem to differ so violently; it's a nice time to discuss the subtitles of how to score professional boxing.

The main question raised in this particular bout for me was: Was the weight of Provodnikov's punches enough to counterbalance the work-rate of Algieri's?

CompuBox had Algieri up by almost a hundred punches, yet the man looked like he'd just fallen out of a tree and hit every branch on the way down. Provodnikov meanwhile, seemed relatively undamaged.

So how do you win a round? Is it by sheer number of 'clean' shots landed on your opponent? If so then you could easily keep tapping away at your man (as many are suggesting Algieri did) and take the rounds. This isn't amateur boxing at the end of the day.

Or is it by weight of assault? A hard punch that clearly hurts your opponent surely makes up for several lighter shots, but how many?

Or is it a combination of the two? While there are specific criteria on which we score a bout, scoring is subjective at the end of the day- what's your view?
    My view is that it will always be crooking. Until like in many other sports, technology is used to get it right, not bias human's preference and intention inattentional looking. On paper, it clear how professional shots suppose to be scored.

We don't need CompuBox, which miscounts punches because the assigned human is not at the right angle to see every punch. And human cannot count the impact of them. But there are laser counting-punches gidgets that don't miss contact or degree of impact.

The military is already using this technology to count how many bullets and bombs hit innocent, unarmed victims versus terrorist knuckleheads. And NASA is using it to count stars, meteors and planets, and the impact of them when they hit something. Holla!

Advanced Users

No! Three stunning, staggering-you, rocking-your-arse punches are worth 30 stay-away-from-me bytch punches or 15 effective ones.

GOAT Ali hit the late, great "Smokin'" Joe Frazier about eight punches to one in Bout I, but his lost because the proper ruling of punches was applied.

Based on the cheat decisions nowadays, Howard Davis should have been a three-time world champions because he surely landed the most punches on his opponents. Holla!

So, you're penalizing the guy who can't punch hard, Radam. A guy who punches hard should be given more credit by the judges? Is that fair?

-Randy G.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    So, you're penalizing the guy who can't punch hard, Radam. A guy who punches hard should be given more credit by the judges? Is that fair?

-Randy G.
    No way, Commish! The greatest pound-4-pound pug ever was Willie Pep and he could not blast. On the top of my head, I think he got something like 65 official kayos, but just actual 20 kayo counted outs of about 220 something wins.

And then again, it is not me penalizing the weak puncher. But we are in the hurt business -- aka "hurt bitnezz." Soft punchers have lost 99 percent of the time. And dat is da game. But not me. Hate da game. Not da gamer. Holla!

Willie P (the one who hated running) also didnt punch hard. But his punches hit the target and went through. Algieri retracts before they hit the target so he's just kissing his opponent with his gloves. It's because he has no grounding in the sport. He spars more than he's fought and you don't go full whack in sparring.

I hope Algieri will offer a rematch to Ruslan, I have judged him to be honest and possess some fidelity. Let us watch his next move.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Willie P (the one who hated running) also didnt punch hard. But his punches hit the target and went through. Algieri retracts before they hit the target so he's just kissing his opponent with his gloves. It's because he has no grounding in the sport. He spars more than he's fought and you don't go full whack in sparring.

I hope Algieri will offer a rematch to Ruslan, I have judged him to be honest and possess some fidelity. Let us watch his next move.
    That was my issue in this particular fight- Algieri was putting no weight into his punches- you need to punch through the guy's face with some welly, rather than just throwing your arm out there and letting your punch end on the face of the target. Yes it qualifies as a punch, but in the hurt game you need to do more than that to win.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Good question.The Grey..but one thing I am sure of. Decisions can't be won on the basis on the fighters appearance after the fight.
    Can anyone imagine the judges looking at boxers like the prize winning bulls at the county fair?
    Counting the cuts and measuring the blood splotches, gashes and missing teeth to see who the ugliest fighter is.

Boxing would have been turned into a true bloodsport decades ago if that was the case.
    The single goal would be to mark up an opponents face instead of boxing. And that can be done in a variety of ways without the need for real boxing skills.

Heavy punches should get more credit than light punches. But when the heavy puncher is barely landing and is no longer hurting his man or derailing his opponents onslaught, shouldn't the fighter landing the most punches be rewarded for his proficiency?

In a competition based on skill I can see no other outcome.
    I'm with you on that. Some guy's faces bust up easier than other. Some guys bleed very easily, but you can't score a fight on pints of blood spilt.

It boils down to how many hard punches = several lighter punches? How hard does a punch have to be to make up for two lighter ones? Exactly twice as hard?

It's not easy...

You can flap and tap in the amateurs, but not in the pro's. Algieri was doing little or no damage to Ruslan. He's been marked up worse in sparring.

All those boxers that use their legs and stick and move, they still have to stick their punches. It's like a sword fight, you don't just lightly graze your opponent, you have to stab him. If you're not stabbing him you're not winning.