English Español
Advertisement

Thread: British Bantamweights- Scott Quigg

British Bantamweights- Scott Quigg

When Carl Frampton faces Kiko Martinez this September, another British super-bantamweight will take his place on the world stage. Famous in his homeland for his silky smooth skills and an exciting, explosive attack that frequently renders opponents unconscious, Frampton has garnered much praise from the domestic press and boxing community.

At the same time, Frampton has earned himself a legion of loyal British fans, typical of the way that some British fighters can win the devotion of a sizeable proportion of their countrymen, often propelling themselves to hero status in their local communities (see Joe Calzaghe, or Hitman Hatton).

A few rungs behind him on the ladder to fame and fortune, stands Scott Quigg; proud possessor of the WBA super-bantamweight world title, who boasts a 28-0-2 record, with 21 of those wins coming by knock-out. Quigg has stopped all but three of his opponents since progressing beyond 4 round fights in 2009, and has done so with both left and right hands, to the body and the head. However Quigg has not been turning heads in the same way that Frampton has- the quiet man from Bury instead allowing his fists to do the talking, and, supplementing that, his enthusiastic promoter Eddie Hearn, whose clamours for a big money clash between his man Quigg, and Carl Frampton, have grown louder in recent months.

Quigg's style is dogged- he doesn't move his feet much, preferring to stay in front of his man, working his quick jab and slotting in the fast, powerful combinations that have taken his career so far. When he does move, Quigg stays on you: cutting off your escape, moving around his target, opening the way for his irresistible power shots to go thudding in, wearing down his opponent.

Quigg has been spending his time constructively recently: putting in the rounds sparring at Wildcard with anyone and everyone that he can- from prospects to world champs, Mexicans to Americans and Filipinos, accustoming himself to a wide variety of styles, and gaining invaluable experience and knowledge of the game while he's at it. Freddie Roach has also been lending a hand- treating the Englishman to world class training advice and even working the pads with him. The time at Wildcard will prove invaluable as he begins taking on all comers, the best and the rest of the hungry young super-bantamweights around the world.

Quigg's speciality is perhaps his aggressive body attack. He likes to stand in close, applying constant pressure to the body, a good way to not only wear out an opponent, take his wind away, immobilise him, but also take away his fighting spirit. There's nothing so demoralising and discouraging in a fight as to take repeated hard blows to the midriff, and Quigg's style is tailored to wear down his opponents will- his relentless, in-your-face pressure is psychologically exhausting to the man on the wrong end of his fists.

In a division currently so saturated with talent as the super-bantamweights, the fans may rest easy knowing that fantastic match ups lie ahead, and the one foremost on the minds of the British fans is the Quigg-Frampton fight. It's an inevitable fight, and one that is awaited eagerly, and it's only a matter of finding a time when Frampton has gotten through his scheduled opponents, that the respective promoters will sort out the details.

Quigg, however, is perhaps not as complete a fighter as Frampton is. Quigg's defence is limited- he takes punches on a simple, almost amateurish guard, and seldom moves his feet fast enough to physically remove himself from danger in as neat a fashion as Frampton regularly showcases. When he steps out after delivering a combo, he's often left vulnerable- not returning his hands to his guard promptly enough- a flaw that Frampton, with his speedy feet, will be sure to pounce on. Frampton will likely be able to exploit Quigg's inferior mobility and bad habits, timing him after a combo.
    Flaws to a fighter's overall style are much harder to remove, even with the best sparring, or the most capable trainer. However Quigg's bad habits could be ironed out as he progresses to fighting world champions and serious contenders from around Britain and the world. While I don't see him getting past Frampton at this stage, it's certainly a possibility- Quigg has the power to put the Northern Irishman, or indeed any super-bantamweight for that matter, in some serious trouble if he catches him, though that's not to say that Frampton can't take a punch- he put that beyond doubt in his battle with the hard hitting Kiko Martinez last time around.

No matter the immediate direction of Quigg's career, we're certain to see him in some of the most exciting domestic, and world title fights for many years to come- he has the skill to make his name among the elites, and I for one, will be supporting him every step of the way.

Here's one of Quigg's most impressive recent victories from 2012- where he knocked out Rendall Monroe in the 6th to claim nothing less than the interim WBA super-bantamweight championship of the world, a distinction he has successfully defended 4 times since- three with stoppages inside of three rounds, and once with a majority draw against the WBA super-bantamweight champion Salinas.

In this fight, Quigg showcases his ability to wear his opponent down quickly with unrelenting, unforgiving body attacks- seriously hurting Monroe several times in the fight, sending him to the canvas twice in the 6th, before the referee took mercy on Monroe, and stopped the brutal assault.

Enjoy!

Re: British Bantamweights- Scott Quigg

Another excellent write up Greyman I really enjoyed the read thank you.

Quigg has power in both hands and too many of his opponents will attest to that. He hasn't been in front of too many quality opponents but I'm sure Eddie Hearn will find his way through the division and start landing the big name fights.

I'm really interested in Frampton Quigg. Frampton should stop chasing Cruz and other Americans for the time being and get this massive domestic fight on. It would fill Belfast, it would fill any big stadium in the UK to be quite honest. There's a lot of needle in this and everyone is talking about this being one of the hottest fights in the British boxing scene.

Who wins? For the mean while I would have to say Frampton who is better schooled and perhaps in slightly better shape. Does that mean he will win? I don't think so. In Quigg he will find someone who is looking for a fight but will happily and patiently box until he gets his way. It's a big fight that has to be made.

The Bantam, Super-Bantam, Feather and Super-Featherweight divisions are hotting up. The latter end of 2014 should hopefully give rise to many, many great fights. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Another excellent write up Greyman I really enjoyed the read thank you.

Quigg has power in both hands and too many of his opponents will attest to that. He hasn't been in front of too many quality opponents but I'm sure Eddie Hearn will find his way through the division and start landing the big name fights.

I'm really interested in Frampton Quigg. Frampton should stop chasing Cruz and other Americans for the time being and get this massive domestic fight on. It would fill Belfast, it would fill any big stadium in the UK to be quite honest. There's a lot of needle in this and everyone is talking about this being one of the hottest fights in the British boxing scene.

Who wins? For the mean while I would have to say Frampton who is better schooled and perhaps in slightly better shape. Does that mean he will win? I don't think so. In Quigg he will find someone who is looking for a fight but will happily and patiently box until he gets his way. It's a big fight that has to be made.

The Bantam, Super-Bantam, Feather and Super-Featherweight divisions are hotting up. The latter end of 2014 should hopefully give rise to many, many great fights. Can't wait.
    Thanks Skibbz.

I think there's an awful lot of British boxing fans who agree that Frampton needs to assert his dominance at home before moving off to fight for titiles in the US. If it's titles he's after- Quigg's got one, if it's money- the Quigg fight would fill a stadium in England or N. Ireland, and it'd bring massive dividends to both guys.

I'm not entirely sold on Frampton winning outright either, though I believe he's the favourite despite Quigg being the champion. Quigg could turn it all around in an instant with power like his though- and he knows how to use it at the highest level, against the toughest challengers.

Can't wait to see both guys in action again- Frampton's taking it to the highest level and so is Quigg, the development of both their careers from this point on should be fantastic!

Well I still think we've yet to see the best from either fighter yet and it's these high quality match ups that bring out the best. After Kiko Framptons team should seriously look at Quigg. Both camps think they can win and both have belts. It's a perfect stake with the winner taking two belts as enough leverage to force whoever back to their hometown. It just makes sense.

Thanks for the info & video on Quigg, Greyman. I have heard some great things about him. It's through information and videos like this that we get to learn about a variety of guys in our great sport.

-Randy G.