English Español
Advertisement
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2014

Re: World Cup 2014

Looks like another stinking world cup performance from England. We just don't have the players, and what we do have doesn't play as an effective unit. Our defence was a shambles, our midfield unimposing, and our attack wouldn't frighten a child. What a disappointment...

Ah well, backing Holland now! Bring me that lobster!

Struttridge seemed off all game, just one step too early or too late all game. He should have been subbed out Instead of sterling IMO, and the dynamics of the game would have changed for the better in favor of England. Not much you can do with Suarez getting two chances and capitalizing on both.

Still, this version of England has potential enough to be exciting for Euro 2016. Keep Hodgson at the helm, and let the core of the team grow together. But it aint over yet - Italy will beat Uruguay, and if England blasts Costa Rica...well, they may still advance. I hope so.

As is it, England has the same problem as many of the teams from northern Europe: the players aren't good enough with the ball. A disciplined team with a high level of energy and intensity can always disturb them. Imagine Uruguay putting the same pressure on Pirlo as they did on some of Englands key players. He would've capitalized on the pressure and used it to cut holes thru the defence with his extreme accuracy.

Ah, Pirlo! The man is a genius and a beauty in one.

Pirlo is like a virtuoso in his style. I have admired him from the first time I saw him play. He makes it look easy. Such intelligent play with incredible awareness of what's going on and who is where. He still dominates teams even after this many years.. You can study him all you like before a game but he will still take you apart - as witnessed by England!

I both agree and disagree with you Grimm on England's players. We have players who are not very good on the ball, players who seem to just blunder and trundle their way toward the opposition goal more likely to kick themselves in the shins than the ball. Those are the guys bred for their strength and presence on the pitch. We also have players who are very technically gifted and practised, who would not look out of place in a Spanish jersey. To compliment (or not to) those players we have speed demons. Guys that are like hounds who tear up the wings and sprint toward the opposite end. We have had in the past the Pirloesque play makers who can thread the ball with precision accuracy and just the right amount of weight behind their pass, on the ground or in the air. My favourite of which has to be Paul Scholes.

There are the few who can do just about all 4 of those things, namely Rooney, and to some extent Barkley, who although in my opinion is a quality player, he is not on the level of the elites - he has magic but he seems to lack high level intelligence and grand awareness of the pitch that supreme midfielders possess.

Unfortunately for England there are a few factors which have led us to not fulfilling the full combined potential of our players. First and foremost is the pressure of playing in an England shirt. I may be biased and I may be wrong, but the pressure of playing in the Three Lions strip is almost unbearable for most players. There are the few that get emboldened but in general many feel the weight of expectation and it can become unbearable.

There is also the wonderful British Press who do no benefit to the players or the team by the articles they print, and seem to actively seek to only push them down no matter their performance. They harass the players' families, mock the tactics and spread baseless gossip that only the British Media can conjure up.

Thirdly there is the Premier League. With it arguably being the most physically demanding league in the world, and the players having to play up to 3 or 4 times a week in the most hectic of times can sap the energies of even the fittest players by the time the World Cup begins. True, many of the worlds best players play in the Premiership and have no problems representing their countries in internationals and the World Cup not long afterwards, but their teams are not 100% comprised of players from the Premier League.

I think lastly, England's tactics are wrong. We seem to lack some cohesion with players failing to link up and not understanding what the other wants them to do. This may come down to a lack of playing time together - or more in my opinion down to a failure in tactics. I believe the England team are too restricted by the oppression of the manager who wants them to toe the line of the tactician and play in his style. The lack of expression in their play is a result of this I believe. We have players that can run at teams and who do it week in, week out for their clubs. We have players that can lace a ball from over 30 yards and get it into the top corner of the goal through a crowd of defenders. Unfortunately, the rigidity of the tactics does not allow these talented players to play how they want to and I believe ultimately the manager must be to blame.

English players have always been famous for their stamina, power and ability to shoot from long range. We should stick to our strengths and not seek to adopt the tactics of other national teams however successful as they simply will not work for us, one mold does not fit all. I'm not calling for everyone to boot the ball from the half way line every time but more adventurous play is a must. Currently, we're passing it to Gerrard, he's shifting it to the wings and we're looking to cross it over to Sturridge or on the edge of the 18 to Rooney. If we try to go down the centre we pass it without conviction and do not move behind the defence enough to allow for goal scoring chances to arise.

Come on Roy, let our boys play their football with freedom and expression!

Advanced Users

The USA couldn't quite get over that hill. They should've taken some dill. And maybe they would've gotten the kill. But at least a lot of Yanks got their football fill. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 06-23-2014 at 12:32 AM.

@Skibbz: Good points. Yeah, the PL is probably the most demanding league in the world. And yeah, a team must play according to the character of its history and soul - albeit always trying to improve on how.

Right now I'm devastated by the italian loss. That red card was a farce, and I can't get rid a feeling that a whole lotta things are fixed in this tournament in order for Sepp Blatter to secure the coming elections within FIFA - especially now that Platini officially has turned his back on him. Remember how he more or less promised Africa a World Cup - and delivered - in his battle against Lennart Johansson. FIFA must be the most corrupted organization in the world, alongside IOC and, well, AIBA and, well, some sanctioning bodies and...

Luis Suarez is a disgrace, pure disgrace. I wanna punch him, to the point he no longer can take a bite on any player.

He should be banned from the tournament, given year out of the sport and ordered to undertake psychiatric help. Very vile and horrific display, twice now he's done it. There is no excuse for his actions.

What's ridiculous is that he is in all probability one of the most naturally gifted and intelligent players alive today. His future looks to be set in a £70-100m move somewhere in Europe and he conducts himself in a way that will undoubtedly deter interest and/or make it much more difficult for a potential club to sign him.

Football is incredibly corrupt, matches are fixed and billions are made annually by those involved. Something like $80m was bet on an U19 friendly between Myanmar and Indonesia... Greed is the root cause, and the Far East betting market provides the capital incentives.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    He should be banned from the tournament, given year out of the sport and ordered to undertake psychiatric help. Very vile and horrific display, twice now he's done it. There is no excuse for his actions.

What's ridiculous is that he is in all probability one of the most naturally gifted and intelligent players alive today. His future looks to be set in a £70-100m move somewhere in Europe and he conducts himself in a way that will undoubtedly deter interest and/or make it much more difficult for a potential club to sign him.

Football is incredibly corrupt, matches are fixed and billions are made annually by those involved. Something like $80m was bet on an U19 friendly between Myanmar and Indonesia... Greed is the root cause, and the Far East betting market provides the capital incentives.
    Hehehe! Football sounds like the step son of boxing, my friend. They love riding with corruption and da fix is always in. And greed is no doubt Da Don K and son Carl -- I mean the root cause. Haha! Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Hehehe! Football sounds like the step son of boxing, my friend. They love riding with corruption and da fix is always in. And greed is no doubt Da Don K and son Carl -- I mean the root cause. Haha! Holla!
    Both are as bad and seedy as each other, only one has a bigger rug to hide it under. They even hold fake matches which syndicates bet millions on... They hire the stadium, pay officials and then fix commentary for 90 minutes. Although there's not a single soul on the pitch! Makes me laugh sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post

He should be banned for 10 years or life if found guilty. This is now the THIRD time he's bitten a player. Not even a simple punch, a BITE.

He's messed up in the head an shouldn't be allowed to play professional football again. If he can do it three times in such a short period, he'll obviously do it again.