English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2014

World Cup 2014

This is a boxing forum, but there are a few people interested in football/soccer so I thought i'd make a World Cup 2014 thread here in the Random Topics section so we can get a nice discussion going on the matches, get some predictions out there and general world cup banter!

What a cracking first game.. Croatia looked mean and hungry in the initial 20 minutes but I think going 1-0 ahead cooled their steam slightly. Brazil found their way back in thanks to some bad defending on Croatia's part and some Brazilian magic that we've gotten so used to seeing that put them back on equal terms.

A poor decision from the referee awarded Brazil a penalty and the oppurtunity to make it 2-1 in their favour which Neymar smashed into the goal.

Croatia scored an equaliser but the referee made the right decision and ruled out the goal, as Olic made contact with the goalkeeper in the 6 yard box, and the score stood at 2-1.

In the final moments, Oscar went on a leg burning sprint and toe punted the ball goalwards into the bottom left, the crowd erupted and a whole nation was singing and dancing to the tune of a sweet opening victory.

What a first game, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Saturday night at 11pm (GMT) England plays their opener against the Italians. Not long after that is the Provodnikov fight... Man I can't wait!

Re: World Cup 2014

Bad decisions in favour of the home side really took some of the fun out of it. Neymar should have been off, and there should have been no penalty. It would have been a different game had the correct decisions been made at the time.

Croatia really put up a good fight- they made it even money, but they seemed to lose their drive as time wore on, and Brazil and the ref got to the Croats in the end.

Can't wait till the England game! Hope we don't have to wait too long for the Provo fight afterwards- does anyone know what the scheduling is for that card?

Yeah so far there has been really bad calls by the refs. I hope it's just a blip and doesn't become an overriding theme...

What a goal by RVP though. Straight out of the top drawer.

They robbed my boy Gio out of two goals! He should be at the top of the board with VP and AR. Croatia played better than Brazil IMO just couldn't get the finish or the calls and Mexico has a super tough out these next two games. Excited to see England with all the youngsters!

I'm covering the World Cup live, Skibbz! I got my tix to Rio, FIFA got us an overpriced crappy place by Copacabana and we have credentials. Starting July 4th!

Woah, you see what happened to champions, Spain?

RVP and Robben are just unbelievable players, top 10 in the world.

Woah, you see what happened to champions, Spain?

RVP and Robben are just unbelievable players, top 10 in the world.

Gio was robbed of his goals, terrible refereeing!

@Shadow how comes you're going so late? I'm sure you'll enjoy your time in Brazil!

@Aj yeah it was incredible, I thought the Dutch would get their own back on the aging spaniards, didn't guess they'd smash them so badly!!

Come on England, give us something to cheer about before tonight's fights!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Gio was robbed of his goals, terrible refereeing!

@Shadow how comes you're going so late? I'm sure you'll enjoy your time in Brazil!

@Aj yeah it was incredible, I thought the Dutch would get their own back on the aging spaniards, didn't guess they'd smash them so badly!!
    Living costs + deal I could negotiate with paper. Hotels are $300/night. Ridiculous. The group stage doesn't get as much attention as the closing stages. And thanks, Skibbz!

Who's your favorite??