English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Richard and Oscar Will Likely Settle...

Re: Why Richard and Oscar Will Likely Settle...

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    Going back to high school about rats is a bit much. A lot of boxers have coke stories ,sugar Ray Leonard,Duran, macho man, Eric morales , Hatton, calzage etc etc. Good luck to Oscar . He deserves another chance.
    P.s. The Swiss banker was well aware about Oscars partying because he was around it too
    Yes, I agree. With the extremities they go through as it pertains to discipline and sacrifice, they are almost bound to cause a void of some sort that can't help but cause implosions of some sort.

And yes, he was well aware, bro! That's why I worry the lawyers might get ruthless. I also think that's why he ultimately said "f*** it. He ain't making us money no more. Let's get rid of him."

Administrator

Why don't we get back to reality.

This forum is not the National Enquirer, and I'm very tempted to pull the thread. I believe in freedom of speech but lines are being crossed here. Let's start with I lived in E.L.A., owned a gym 13 doors down from Oscar's Resurrection Gym, know/knew members of his family and met countless people who, to put it nicely, didn't care for him. I've, against my will, had to hear every Oscar story being floated while he was the topic of the day, which seemed to last about, oh, I don't know, forever.

I've been in the gym with him and probably know as much about him as anybody alive. Now, while not all good, you're painting a picture that's heading to the outer reaches of absurdity. I'm just waiting for him to be accused of being a space alien and/or a warlock. We will not allow people to hide behind user names and throw hand grenades at someone's reputation.

I have no dog in this fight. But I will tell you one thing, there are people that are being lauded as gifted businessmen on various boxing sites that I wouldn't want working for me.

Again, back to reality.

I don't see the point in this thread to be completely honest.

There's a whole lot of 'apparently' and 'so the story goes'. If it's not a factual report, there's no need to go rattling off wild accusations like these, not here anyway. Who's benefiting?

I doubt Richard Schaefer will bring up Oscar's sex and drug-filled past. Why would he? First of all, how does he know? Was he in those rooms with Oscar?

Secondly, who cares? Will Schaefer be telling us things we don't know. or haven't heard before?

Do you really care if Oscar has worn panties and snorted coke? I don't.

I just want to see him promote important boxing matches.

Let him sue Schaefer. Let Schaefer sing whatever song he wants.

There's too many great boxing matches to be made to care about Oscar's possible perversions.

By the way, here in Canastota, we've seen everybody imaginable. Everybody except de la Hoya. Everybody is wondering if he'll be showing his face today.

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by dino da vinci View Post
    Why don't we get back to reality.

This forum is not the National Enquirer, and I'm very tempted to pull the thread. I believe in freedom of speech but lines are being crossed here. Let's start with I lived in E.L.A., owned a gym 13 doors down from Oscar's Resurrection Gym, know/knew members of his family and met countless people who, to put it nicely, didn't care for him. I've, against my will, had to hear every Oscar story being floated while he was the topic of the day, which seemed to last about, oh, I don't know, forever.

I've been in the gym with him and probably know as much about him as anybody alive. Now, while not all good, you're painting a picture that's heading to the outer reaches of absurdity. I'm just waiting for him to be accused of being a space alien and/or a warlock. We will not allow people to hide behind user names and throw hand grenades at someone's reputation.

I have no dog in this fight. But I will tell you one thing, there are people that are being lauded as gifted businessmen on various boxing sites that I wouldn't want working for me.

Again, back to reality.
    I understand what you're saying, Dino. However I don't know think anyone is trying to smear anyone? And especially not from the solace of an online moniker?

Before posting that Bleacher Report article, I stated that I thought it was, indeed, absurd and very likely not true. Anyone can find sources and make up whatever they want.

Also, that story is from the Bleacher Report, not me. The other one from the New York Post. I am not trying to paint any picture at all. With this being the biggest story in a while, I was simply opining why I think they might settle rather than drag this out.

In fact, the point I was trying to make -- and perhaps I failed to do that adequately -- was that the lawyers would dig out stuff like this for the purpose of smearing Oscar.

I thought it was so outlandish that it bordered on comical. But at the same time, these are things ruthless lawyers use, which we've seen in celebrity lawsuits time and time again.

And we already know, with celebrities people will come out of the woodwork and fabricate stuff over and over. Like one lady claiming to be Michael Jackson's Billie Jean. Or his long-lost son. And so on and so forth.

Personally, Oscar De La Hoya strikes me as a very nice man. He seems to have a good heart and I hope it all works out for him because he genuinely seems to want to make positive change for the sport and for fighters.

I most definitely was NOT trying to smear someone hiding behind an alias. So if that is the way people took, I for one apologize and two, I will go ahead and take it down myself.

As for Greyman, the "allegedly" is very deliberately put to show that it is NOT an unequivocal truth and to be taken with the proverbial grain of salt. My premise/point was that they might just settle, which most cases do anyway (according to my lawyer friend who's right here with me).

Sorry if I failed to convey that well.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 06-07-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    I don't know think anyone is trying to smear anyone? I stated that I thought it was, indeed, absurd and very likely not true. Anyone can find sources and make up whatever they want.

Also, that story is from the Bleacher Report, not me. The other one from the New York Post. I am not trying to paint any picture at all. With this being the biggest story in a while, I was simply opining why I think they might settle rather than drag this out.

In fact, the point I was trying to make -- and perhaps I failed to do that adequately -- was that the lawyers would dig out stuff like this for the purpose of smearing Oscar.

I thought it was so outlandish that it bordered on comical. But at the same time, these are things ruthless lawyers use, which we've seen in celebrity lawsuits time and time again.

And we already know, with celebrities people will come out of the woodwork and fabricate stuff over and over. Like one lady claiming to be Michael Jackson's Billie Jean. Or his long-lost son. And so on and so forth.

Personally, Oscar De La Hoya strikes me as a very nice man. He seems to have a good heart and I hope it all works out for him because he genuinely seems to want to make positive change for the sport and for fighters.

I most definitely was NOT trying to smear someone hiding behind an alias. So if that is the way people took, I for one apologize and two, I will take it down myself.
    No! No! No! Don't take it down. It is mild compared to how wild these nutcases can get. And it gives a prospective of the reality and actuality to expect from them.

Maybe this is a "Random Topics" piece of the bizarre that pugs have to go through. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    No! No! No! Don't take it down. It is mild compared to how wild these nutcases can get. And it gives a prospective of the reality and actuality to expect from them.

Maybe this is a "Random Topics" piece of the bizarre that pugs have to go through. Holla!
    All I was doing was trying to add value to the discussion by providing some context to one of the biggest stories in years that just so happens to have ugly, gossipy sub-plots. I tried my best to add the disclaimer that some of the stuff was sketchy.

Instead it's like I'm pointlessly and cowardly slandering someone with words I didn't even write, which honestly makes me a little sad. I really thought it would be of interest to people and I went through quite a bit to deliver it.

I heard of something, found an article, dug out the official suit documents, spoke to my lawyer friend about the Richard-Oscar situation who gave me his opinion as to what may happen and I shared it here. I often go through lots and lots of stuff to really bring some meat to the discussion, kinda like when Skibbz called that imam to get the word about athletes and Ramadan.

To me that's what sets this Forum apart; the diverse flow and exchange of solid, high-quality and credible information from inside the gyms, "newsrooms," boardrooms and offices. And again, it wasn't even my words. It was stuff from a suit and my lawyer friend told me past cases, frivolous or not, can be dug up in new ones to discredit someone and hamper every subsequent case.

I agree that it isn't even scratching the surface as to how crazy some guys get. But if the stuff bothers people to the point where what I post to some borders on cowardly slanderer (and I've seen libel firsthand which I took the lawyers and won, so I do not look at reputation-smearing lightly) then I'd rather not post it. Also, if it does indeed bother people, then Dino is right, I guess it doesn't have a place in the forum so I won't post about that anymore...

So thanks, Radam, for your comment but I deleted the crazy article. It's not that hard to find anyway.

I think at the day people don't like to see someone with Oscar's history and connection to the sport be slated and hated by people behind a screen who Oscar has probably never met. Not saying anyone has but there is a feeling of animosity in something's I've read.

At the end of the day everyone has a past, everyone has regrets. We aren't in a position to judge someone else's personal life and the decisions they make. We are only watching them on tv for Boxing whether they're in the ring putting their life on the line for out enjoyment or they're working hard every day to put on entertaining shows for us the fans. In times of need, if they should arise, people should offer a helping hand instead of trying to kick someone into the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    As for Greyman, the "allegedly" is very deliberately put to show that it is NOT an unequivocal truth and to be taken with the proverbial grain of salt. My premise/point was that they might just settle, which most cases do anyway (according to my lawyer friend who's right here with me).

Sorry if I failed to convey that well.
    As for the Shadow.

I know you meant to put 'allegedly' in place to cover yourself, but you're repeating very serious, provocative and defamatory stories, and I'm sure your legally minded friend will tell you that even that could get you into a position you don't want to be in, if they can't be proved.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    As for the Shadow.

I know you meant to put 'allegedly' in place to cover yourself, but you're repeating very serious, provocative and defamatory stories, and I'm sure your legally minded friend will tell you that even that could get you into a position you don't want to be in, if they can't be proved.
    I wasn't trying to "cover" myself. I was paraphrasing the article. I have no concern, even the slightest of little bit, in that regard. Because these were not my accusations. Like I said, I was paraphrasing published information.

Besides, this isn't an article posted through a news outlet, this is a forum. By even if it were, a reporter can cite sources, stories and hard data; in fact, those three elements would be enough to soundly substantiate any story.

Far more than most of the online nes coverage we see today, anyway, which is susually comprised of one quote from one side instead of one from each side for balance.

As to what posted, based on the article, I saw legal documents, I saw an interview with quotes from the plaintiff, pictures, and I was mainly posting the accounts from the principles.

There is absolutely nothing, not even the tiniest bit in that -- even if it were a story I'd run in a newspaper -- that would count as me defaming the guy, since it was according to other people anyway. I baffled you would say that man. What did I ever do to you?
    Last edited by The Shadow; 06-07-2014 at 03:29 PM.