English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Carl Frampton vs Kiko Martinez II Confirmed for 6th September- IBF Super Bantamweight

Carl Frampton vs Kiko Martinez II Confirmed for 6th September- IBF Super Bantamweight

Carl Frampton's long awaited shot at a world title has now been confirmed. On the 6th of September he will once again face Spaniard Kiko Martinez for the IBF Super Bantamweight Championship of the World, at a venue yet to be announced.

The last time the two met, on the 9th of February last year, we saw Frampton taken out of his comfort zone and pushed harder than he had been in his entire career when Martinez decided to lay it on thick and fast in the second, hunting Frampton around the ring for the rest of the fight, until he was timed coming in with a hard right hand that ended the fight.

Kiko has meanwhile been busy.

His impressive knockout win over the undefeated Jonathan Romero, where Martinez' power was too much for him to be denied Romero's Super Bantamweight IBF strap, was followed by two knockout defences of that same belt- the most recent of which was this April, where he went to Japan to defend against Hozumi Hasegawa. Martinez clearly doesn't mind going to his opponent's home turf to defend his belt, which is a good thing, because the Frampton fight is certain to be in Belfast, and it's sure to be rocking with Frampton's followers.

Martinez's words on the fight imply some sort of obsession with defeating Frampton. Since the day of the fight he says, he's been up at 05.00 to train, thinking about beating Carl Frampton. 'For me, beating Carl Frampton is a bigger motivator than unifying the belts'. That's a bloody bold statement to make, and goes some way to revealing just how personal that loss was to him. Marinez is out to prove he is better than what we saw from him against Frampton last year.

Does he believe he can beat Carl Frampton though? Yes it's very personal for him to beat the man, but does he really have the belief that he can pull it off. Last time, Kiko turned the heat up to full, and Carl happily sweated it out with him as long as Kiko wanted to keep the pace up. Now Frampton's fitter and stronger.

Last time around, Kiko was hitting Carl with some seriously hard, clean shots, but Frampton was taking them without a hitch, and always coming back with more- it was the Spaniard who ended up cut and swollen from Frampton's clean crisp combos, which he fired on the move.

Last time, Kiko gave everything he had, and he fell short.

Does Matrinez really believe he's got enough to do it this time? Word is that he's been packing up and fleeing his home country every time Frampton's been in town, so scared is he of facing the Brit again. I wouldn't mind hazarding a guess that Martinez knows Frampton's quality is too much for him to handle, and that he's been offered a shed load of money to stand toe to toe with him again. Frampton on the other hand, wants nothing more than to face someone he knows he can best, for the championship of the world no less- an achievement he's been hungering after since he first laced up the gloves. Frampton celebrated the announcement of the rematch: 'I’m over the moon to be fighting for a world title in my hometown. I have to thank my team for making this happen and now it is time for me to deliver. I am fully focused on September the 6th and Kiko Martinez. It’s been my dream since I started boxing to become a world champion and I have worked so hard to get this far, now is the time for me to fulfil that dream in front of the best fans in the world.'

Martinez, come September I bet, will come on in the same old way, and get beaten in the same old way- Frampton has declared boldly that he will not be keeping fans waiting for longer than 6 rounds to see the Spaniard beat, and I have every faith that he will deliver on his promise.

Here's their last bout:

Re: Carl Frampton vs Kiko Martinez II Confirmed for 6th September- IBF Super Bantamweight

You're single handedly seeking to inject some serious life and energy into the Boxing Channel, thank you for another enjoyable read on a very interesting topic.

You're right about Martinez getting on his bike every time McG tried to reach out to him in Spain. They've been trying to sort the fight for a while but it looked like Martinez had no interest in facing Frampton again.

Barry took his piggy bank to the states and was putting out news of trying to secure a big buck fight over in the States or in Belfast for Frampton with a big American name, and I think finally Martinez has decided to take the money on offer (it must be fairly substantial) and get it on with Frampton, hopefully back in the beautiful city of Belfast!!

I have to agree with you, Kiko turned the screw as tight as he could and still found Frampton in front of him and able to take him out. That's a huge mental boulder to shatter and I don't doubt he's been putting in the work around the clock, but Frampton is in the shape of his life thanks to the help of Shane McGuigan.

Just some info on Shane for those that may not know who he is, he learned his strength and conditioning knowledge from Charlie P in Rhode Island. He put that knowledge to use in an up market and exclusive private gym in Chelsea, London and has been training Carl both in London and Belfast since learning his trade. He also had a pretty decent amateur career but never took it pro!

Another point.. Were Frampton's team told to bring a belt to the table when they tried to sort a fight with Santa Cruz?
    Last edited by Skibbz; 06-06-2014 at 10:43 AM.

Re: Carl Frampton vs Kiko Martinez II Confirmed for 6th September- IBF Super Bantamweight

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    You're single handedly seeking to inject some serious life and energy into the Boxing Channel, thank you for another enjoyable read on a very interesting topic.

You're right about Martinez getting on his bike every time McG tried to reach out to him in Spain. They've been trying to sort the fight for a while but it looked like Martinez had no interest in facing Frampton again.

Barry took his piggy bank to the states and was putting out news of trying to secure a big buck fight over in the States or in Belfast for Frampton with a big American name, and I think finally Martinez has decided to take the money on offer (it must be fairly substantial) and get it on with Frampton, hopefully back in the beautiful city of Belfast!!

I have to agree with you, Kiko turned the screw as tight as he could and still found Frampton in front of him and able to take him out. That's a huge mental boulder to shatter and I don't doubt he's been putting in the work around the clock, but Frampton is in the shape of his life thanks to the help of Shane McGuigan.

Just some info on Shane for those that may not know who he is, he learned his strength and conditioning knowledge from Charlie P in Rhode Island. He put that knowledge to use in an up market and exclusive private gym in Chelsea, London and has been training Carl both in London and Belfast since learning his trade. He also had a pretty decent amateur career but never took it pro!

Another point.. Were Frampton's team told to bring a belt to the table when they tried to sort a fight with Santa Cruz?
    That's some interesting stuff on Frampton's training regime- I knew he'd gotten a new S&C coach in London but I never realised it was McGuigan. He should be in perfect physical condition come the rematch, easily able to deal with Martinez' pressure.

It wont be long now before Frampton's facing the big international names; Santa Cruz and Rigondeaux namely.

Santa Cruz for sure will be outclassed by Frampton, Frampton's quality and conditioning will be too much to handle for the Mexican. Santa Cruz knows this for sure, and isn't willing to risk his neck and his '0' for anything less than a belt. Frampton will take Santa Cruz's belt though, and then fight Rigo for unification. Calling it now.

I say once he takes the IBF off Martinez, anyone's welcome to bring it to him. First though I'd like to see Scott Quigg given a crack at him. Quigg has a real chance, and they're both two of the most exciting names in British boxing, and in the Super Bantamweight division. A Frampton-Quigg fight would be huge in my opinion; it could easily fill another stadium with all the fans each respective fighter has- make it for early 2015, and the winner goes on to fight Santa Cruz or Rigondeaux.

Cruz will come in solid shape with a high output but I just see Frampton timing him. You're right I'm sure they told Barry to get back when they have a belt. They would do their best (with Haymon's friends) to make it an uncomfortable time for Frampton if they tried to enforce a fight via the WBC. With two belts at stake it would be a really juicy bout and if it's in Belfast then I'll have my bags packed ready to fly to the Emerald Isle tomorrow.

Quigg would make a great fight it's one that everyone's wanting to see so it'll be made.. Just a matter of when and where. I hate to see Rigo left out on the sidelines, I wouldn't want to see Quigg face him just yet, but Frampton can have a shot at him after a Cruz fight.

If Rigo comes to the UK, with the right type of promotion (Hyde and Hearn) then they could fill a pretty big house.. We have to wait and see.

Also just congratulations to Barry Hearn on being inducted into the IBHOF. Fully deserved for what he's done for the sport around the world, a very tough and shrewd man who held his own in many tough situations.. High Noon in Hong Kong anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Cruz will come in solid shape with a high output but I just see Frampton timing him. You're right I'm sure they told Barry to get back when they have a belt. They would do their best (with Haymon's friends) to make it an uncomfortable time for Frampton if they tried to enforce a fight via the WBC. With two belts at stake it would be a really juicy bout and if it's in Belfast then I'll have my bags packed ready to fly to the Emerald Isle tomorrow.

Quigg would make a great fight it's one that everyone's wanting to see so it'll be made.. Just a matter of when and where. I hate to see Rigo left out on the sidelines, I wouldn't want to see Quigg face him just yet, but Frampton can have a shot at him after a Cruz fight.

If Rigo comes to the UK, with the right type of promotion (Hyde and Hearn) then they could fill a pretty big house.. We have to wait and see.

Also just congratulations to Barry Hearn on being inducted into the IBHOF. Fully deserved for what he's done for the sport around the world, a very tough and shrewd man who held his own in many tough situations.. High Noon in Hong Kong anyone?
    The Quigg fight is THE biggest fight waiting to be made in Britain at the moment. I do agree that it's not time for Quigg yet though- he's not ready to give a proper account of himself yet, though it would be a very big money fight, and I can see it happening for that reason before the Frampton-Cruz fight gets made. Quigg deserves to be world champ someday with his level of skill though, it's just a matter of Barry choosing what's right for Quigg, rather than what's right for Barry's pocket.

Rigondeaux could easily sell out a massive venue in the UK. We've seen that we have enough fans of the sweet science to fill a stadium for a 'domestic' world championship bout, so I'm sure the turnout for a home grown Frampton vs the international boxing icon that is Rigondeaux would be phenomenal.

Regarding the Santa-Cruz - Frampton fight, I think it's just a matter of getting Frampton in the ring with him to see him win. Frampton outshines Santa-Cruz in every department, and the Cruz camp's attitude to making the fight go some way to indicating their acknowledgement of that fact.

Didn't realise that Barry's been inducted, well done to his. It speaks volumes about his service to British boxing and the sport as a whole. I wonder if we'll see his son follow in his footsteps?

This is my first time seeing either of these guys... Thanks for expanding my horizons TheGrey
    These fighters are very exciting to watch. Hopefully Cruz or Rigo can get into the mix in the near future.
    I'm not a human crystal ball but based on my very limited first impression... I'd pick Cruz to beat either one of these guys in a very spirited and very entertaining brawl.

But I can see why there have been so many articles written about Frampton... He is a bit of a cutey in the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    This is my first time seeing either of these guys... Thanks for expanding my horizons TheGrey
    These fighters are very exciting to watch. Hopefully Cruz or Rigo can get into the mix in the near future.
    I'm not a human crystal ball but based on my very limited first impression... I'd pick Cruz to beat either one of these guys in a very spirited and very entertaining brawl.

But I can see why there have been so many articles written about Frampton... He is a bit of a cutey in the ring.
    Glad to help.

There's some really exciting and talented fighters in Britain, and Carl Frampton is certainly one of the hottest on offer. If he beats Martinez in the rematch this September, he'll enter the world stage and I think he'll become a real force in the super-bantamweights.

I'm not certain of the outcome of a Cruz-Frampton bout, but I'll take the home side and say that Frampton would outshine him. It'll be a fantastic match-up if and when it's made though!

Say Frampton goes on and beats Martinez, then I think McGuigan and Hearn will get together and make Frampton Quigg a reality. After that I see the winner going on to face Cruz, Mares or Rigo soon after, although probably not immediately.

It's hotting up in the lower weights.