English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was it all Cotto's talent,or Sergio's diminished skills? What's next for Cotto?

Advanced Users BoxingChannel.tv's Avatar

Was it all Cotto's talent,or Sergio's diminished skills? What's next for Cotto?

Re: Was it all Cotto's talent,or Sergio's diminished skills? What's next for Cotto?

It was both Cotto's talent and Martinez's diminished skills.

Though I thought Murray beat Martinez, that was really a close fight. Martinez didn't move like he used to in that fight and his punches didn't seem to have the same snap. But he still made things close and did enough in the eyes of the judges to win.

Here, a very similar Martinez was just obliterated by Cotto. Cotto did what Murray couldn't do and that is cut off the ring early and on a consistent basis. And his punches were a lot harder obviously than Murray's as well.

Martinez I think could have hung with a good fighter. But Cotto is much more than just a good fighter even at this stage of his career. And Martinez was no match for this version of Cotto on this night.

Re: Was it all Cotto's talent,or Sergio's diminished skills? What's next for Cotto?

It was Sergio's knee. I watched it again just now and from the first round he couldn't use it at all. The knockdowns were as much for the pain in the knee than any punch in my opinion.

You could really see he wasn't wanting to put any weight on it. It was amazing to see him go on for so long because knee pain's can be excruciating especially considering he's moving as much as he is during a fight.

The knee was too damaged to fight any one really and I think I read somewhere on here he didn't have any sparring. He should consider retirement...

It was Cotto's talent, Martinez fading, and Freddy's game plan. I think alot of us expected a hard charging Cotto like we saw against Rodriguez and although Cotto was pressuring him, it was not of the bull rush variety. It was pressure by constantly being in punching position, cutting off the ring, using his power to make Sergio circle the ring in a fashion opposite of what he was accustomed to. When you apply Cotto's talent with a great strategy, you end up with destruction and that is what we saw last night.

Unfortunately for Martinez, not only was he slightly hobbled, he was completely unprepared for what he fought. The Cotto that showed up last night looked a little like the Cotto that was trained briefly by Emmanuel Steward but much more calculating and aggressive.

I am not sure that a prime Sergio, like the one that beat Pavlik and Dzinzurik to a pulp, would have beaten Cotto last night.
    Last edited by The Good Doctor; 06-09-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Advanced Users

A multi amount of people can see the same thing, but vast differences they will conceive and conclude.

From a boksing view, Ser-Mart will always suffer moderate-to-extreme injuries to his bottom extremities when going against shifting elite pugs. He cannot find them. So he suffer tears in his groin muscles, hips, knees, calves and ankles by trying to determine where to go and when will the fighers shift. (Holla at the fight again, and Ser-Mart's last two bouts and see it for yourself.)

But because of good public relations and just straight-up superman hiding, those who are not in the boksing loop, don't smell da poop or have a scoop and will believe the wrong things. There will always be certain type of fighters that you should stay away from if the money is not BIG, because they will cause you career consequences.

Look how Tim Bradley kept tearing up his ankles, feet and calves when he met Da Manny. Through the years, boxers get more damages on their feet, ankles, legs and hips than their torsos, mugs, ears and craniums. (Maybe inattentional blindness of fans cannot let them conceive this. If you think some of these former fighters' heads and hands hurt, you ought to holla at them about the deep paining lower section of their anatomy.

I've been trying tell you guys that boxing is a full-body sport just as baseball, basketball, swimming and tennis. Old boxers complain about their knees, hips and backs just as much as the doers of the above sports.

Ser-Mart has a few more years. He just needs to learn the B-Hop's optical illusions of fighting. Tie up opponents to throw their funk off and stay away from fighters with the precentage of the following:

Quick hands, shifting-gears feet while shooting multi punches, hooking and shift punching.

M-Co shift punched da hebejeebeez outta Ser-Mart.

My posting mates, you guys need to rewatch the fight and holla at M-Co shifty feet and stealth shift punches.

Beauty got the beast -- I mean M-Co's foot work, shift punching and TNT Coach No Joke Freddie Roach's masterpiece choreographing the dance got the beast. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 06-08-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Advanced Users

OMG! No sound! You have to read those lips. We don't need another hero -- I mean a sign language bulljiver from South Africa. Hehe! Holla!

I've only watched the fight once, and from what I saw, Martinez was simply in no condition to fight.

His injuries, and specifically his knee, seem to have become damaged to the point where he can't use them functionally- it really seemed like he was struggling to put any weight on that damaged knee for the entire duration of the fight, and some of the knock-downs seemed to me as much an issue of his not being able to brace his legs to take Cotto's punches as anything else. If you can't use your knee, you can't channel your own power through your legs, and similarly, you can't take your opponents punches.

If you don't have the use of your legs, you lose your own power, and the ability to take that of your opponent. That's what happened to Martinez- its as simple as that in my view.

Martinez should be getting credit for fighting at all, especially against a fearsome foe like Cotto. He came out and did his job in a very professional manner, despite being woefully under prepared by failing to spar and run. All we really saw him doing in the 24/7 series was hitting the heavy bag, and it's most likely all he could take.

I don't mean to take away from Cotto's performance- he was looking sharp and powerful, and he exploited Martinez' weaknesses ruthlessly, but I don't think that Martinez would have had much of a chance against any opponent on Saturday night.

To add to your points Grey, the lack of legs equals a lack of mobility. If you can't move then you're a sitting duck for whatever's coming your way. Sergio put up a good fight with whatever he hd in him and there's no shame in what it was. His corner took him to the end of the 9th but they didn't want to see their champion face irreparable damage to his knee.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    I've only watched the fight once, and from what I saw, Martinez was simply in no condition to fight.

His injuries, and specifically his knee, seem to have become damaged to the point where he can't use them functionally- it really seemed like he was struggling to put any weight on that damaged knee for the entire duration of the fight, and some of the knock-downs seemed to me as much an issue of his not being able to brace his legs to take Cotto's punches as anything else. If you can't use your knee, you can't channel your own power through your legs, and similarly, you can't take your opponents punches.

If you don't have the use of your legs, you lose your own power, and the ability to take that of your opponent. That's what happened to Martinez- its as simple as that in my view.

Martinez should be getting credit for fighting at all, especially against a fearsome foe like Cotto. He came out and did his job in a very professional manner, despite being woefully under prepared by failing to spar and run. All we really saw him doing in the 24/7 series was hitting the heavy bag, and it's most likely all he could take.

I don't mean to take away from Cotto's performance- he was looking sharp and powerful, and he exploited Martinez' weaknesses ruthlessly, but I don't think that Martinez would have had much of a chance against any opponent on Saturday night.
    "First thing to go as a boxer is your legs," it is said. Also a lot athletes in other sports have to turned boxing because of knee problems in the sport that they were in.

One does not need knees to "channel" power. Boxing power come from turn your hips. This is why you will hear trainers in the gym hollering at green fighters to "Put some @$$ in dat shot."

"Turn 'em shots over and give me some booty in em! I want da booty on duty!"

Wrong sports my man. Nobody saying Jack about your knees unless you been out all night having sex. Then the oldtimers will get in your arse: "Stay off the bird."

"Putang weakens knees."

Help me out, all you fighters out there. How much fighters do you know have quit the sport because of bum knees. Or even use a "damaged knee" alibi. And how many fighters do you know came into the sports because of their knee[s] damaged from the sport that they were in.

Two active pugs come to my mind. Seth Mitchell and the United States super heavyweight representative at the 2012 O-Games.

You pugging guys know the deal. The trainers/coaches will tell you: "Well you got another knee. God gave you a pair, so that you will have a spare. As look as you can turn your @$$, you can fight. If you pull a muscle in the @$$, than let me know."

The game is more than "The theatre of the unexpected," it the arena of a lot of misconceptions and assumptions. Holla!

Its really not even a topic for debate..... Cotto fought a helluva fight against a fighter with gimpy legs. It was obvious to anyone watching. Cotto would have given a healthy Martinez a decent fight I'm sure but I strongly doubt the outcome would have resembled what we witnessed last night.