English Español
Advertisement
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Russell Jr vs Lomachenko

Re: Russell Jr vs Lomachenko

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    I think Lomachenko is going to create doubt in the mind off Russell early. This was cause Russell to be hesitant and to be doing more thinking in the ring than letting his hands go.

As the fight goes on, Lomachenko will be more confident and his foot on the gas a bit more than he was in the Salido fight. He knows what it takes now to go 12 in a tough fight. On the otherhand, though Russell has gone 10 rounds it has not been a hard 10 rounds and there will be more doubt in his mind than in Lomachenko's.
    I think these are the points that could really be the difference between the two. If Lomachenko get's a good start and banks the first 3 rounds, then what will be running through Gary's mind? Too much I should think, and too much thinking does no good especially in the ring.

Again once Lomachenko is working the cylinders and turning up the heat Gary could be left sweating with no real room to hide. To give Lomachenko confidence is like giving him the knife that he'll finish you with. If he can fight off his confidence then Gary will be in the race, otherwise it's going to be one long night.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    I disagree, I think Gary has already done much behind him and losing at the hands of Lomachenko might just be enough to drive him forward in his career, much like Lomachenko's loss to Salido. If Lomachenko loses I think there will be some serious consideration time for Team Loma... They'll be scratching their heads a bit I think wondering why their Golden boy isn't winning in the pro's as he was in the amateurs.

I believe the pressure is all on Lomachenko and he will certainly feel it more than Gary. If Gary comes in fast and in supreme shape ready for the fight of his life then I wouldn't be shocked to see him win. If he starts slow, and lets Lomachenko open up his confidence and box of tricks then it'll be fairly smooth sailing for the Ukrainian till the finish. Less than two weeks now isn't it?
    Fair doos, his failure to rise to the occasion to fight in the Olympics and his failure to fight at least guys like Vasyl's first pro opponent, years after receiving prospect of the year, has me believing he's lacking in the drive department as it is.

A loss for Lomachenko is going to be a big step back, sure, but in the same breath it really isn't going to be a huge deal because 1. He proved in his second fight he's already world championship level as a fighter 2. He'll just go to the drawing board, hiring a new trainer etc. and there's only so much you can fail with when training Loma and so much upside potential. It honestly wont take more than 3-4 fights before he's performing at a level we've never seen before. If Lomachenko fails to improve fight by fight, then a loss would be a blessing in disguise. Lomachenko won't be seen as a no-hoper at all, not even for one second. He'll be seen as a project that must and will be successful or else boxing is at a HUGE loss.

You're assuming Lomachenko has the heart of a regular fighter....Lomachenko is a special fighter, who deals with pressure better than any other.

I agree, there's only so much success Gary can get away with until Loma catches on, that's literally one of the main statements about this fight.

oubobcat below makes an interesting point with regards to Gary when he says 'This could be one of those fights where Russell loses but his growth as a fighter will improve tremendously despite the loss. And ultimately may not be a bad thing for his career.'

I think Russell may be in a bit over his head in this fight.

Oddly, though Lomachenko has just two pro fights I think the experience he had in those two bouts is far more than anything Russell has experienced in his 24 fights as a pro.

Russell has speed, there is no disputing that fact. Heck, he may even have the fastest hands in the sport today. But his level of competition as a pro has been subpar to say the least. He has not learned anything in these fights and will be facing adversity for the first time in his pro career when he steps in the ring with Lomachenko.

Lomachenko has serious skill. He proved that as an amateur star winning nearly 400 bouts and many awards along the way. And he gained a ton of experience in the Salido fight. It is ring experience that he learned and went through that Russell has not at this point in his career.

I think Lomachenko is going to create doubt in the mind off Russell early. This was cause Russell to be hesitant and to be doing more thinking in the ring than letting his hands go.

As the fight goes on, Lomachenko will be more confident and his foot on the gas a bit more than he was in the Salido fight. He knows what it takes now to go 12 in a tough fight. On the otherhand, though Russell has gone 10 rounds it has not been a hard 10 rounds and there will be more doubt in his mind than in Lomachenko's.

Russell may be more athletically gifted but the more athletically gifted fighter does not always win. I think Lomachenko's skills and experience will be the undoing of Russell in this fight.

This could be one of those fights where Russell loses but his growth as a fighter will improve tremendously despite the loss. And ultimately may not be a bad thing for his career.

And like Skibbz notes above, if Lomachenko loses it will be a significant step back and his team will be doing some serious head scratching about how they decided to move his career along.
    Yeah I completely agree word for word with this!

I think Russell may be in a bit over his head in this fight.

Oddly, though Lomachenko has just two pro fights I think the experience he had in those two bouts is far more than anything Russell has experienced in his 24 fights as a pro.

Russell has speed, there is no disputing that fact. Heck, he may even have the fastest hands in the sport today. But his level of competition as a pro has been subpar to say the least. He has not learned anything in these fights and will be facing adversity for the first time in his pro career when he steps in the ring with Lomachenko.

Lomachenko has serious skill. He proved that as an amateur star winning nearly 400 bouts and many awards along the way. And he gained a ton of experience in the Salido fight. It is ring experience that he learned and went through that Russell has not at this point in his career.

Russell may be more athletically gifted but the more athletically gifted fighter does not always win. I think Lomachenko's skills and experience will be the undoing of Russell in this fight.

This could be one of those fights where Russell loses but his growth as a fighter will improve tremendously despite the loss. And ultimately may not be a bad thing for his career.

And like Skibbz notes above, if Lomachenko loses it will be a significant step back and his team will be doing some serious head scratching about how they decided to move his career along.
    I agree with several of your points, 'bobcat. For one, I too, think Russell may have the fastest hands in the sport. But, hitting on close to two dozen far inferior opponents hasn't done much except increase the left side of his ledger. Does Russell have power? I'm talking about real, serious power. On many occasions, he looks like he's in there playing tag. He'll touches you as fast as he can, then gets out. That style works in the amateurs and against the opposition Gary Russell has been facing up until now. What happens to him when he faces V-Lo, who has dealt with speed and power dozens of times throughout his trophy-case career.

However, if Russell uses those fast feet intelligently, it wouldn't surprise me to see him pull out a decision. By intelligently, I mean carrying him in to deliver his shots, then escaping. If he can do that early and often, he may frustrate V-Lo and break his confidence.

For V-Lo, it's the other way around. If he can pressure Russell effectively in the first few rounds, if he can hurt him in those early rounds, he'll put Russell in a place he's never been before. He'll force him into making mistakes and getting hit.

I think both guys have the skill to pull out a victory.

I just believe V-Lo has a little bit more.

Also, through his long amateur career, V-Lo has faced better opposition.

In addition, V-Lo may also be the best athlete in all of boxing.

Put it all together and it all points to an impressive victory for V-Lo.

-Randy G.

VLO may babe been the pinnacle of modern Amateur Boxing Achievement... Truthfully I was a little bit disappointed after repeatedly hearing about his many exploits (from being virtually undefeated in five hundred fights....to being able to walk entire city blocks on his hands).

It was the stuff legends are made of. Its not that VLO isn't good... He displayed a lot of hubris going after a title in only his second (achnowleged) pro fight. He also displayed a lot of courage against a dirty, overweight brawler who pulled every nasty trick in the book .....who also possesses eons worth of experience in championship fights.

I guess I was expecting to see the type of talent that only emerges from the active gene pool of prospective champions once every few decades.

Im not sure that's what I saw........ but he's very capable ...I would suspect VLO is easily a more well rounded fighter than Russell.
    I'm just trying to comprehend why Russell accepted the fight without testing himself first against better competition?... Its just not making any sense.....I've seen Russell hurt by less capable boxers... But why look a gift horse in the mouth?

Its still a very intriguing fight that I look forward to watching... Two young undefeated lions... Its going to be a very rare and unique night of boxing.

The style of a lot of Eastern Bloc fighters, particularly their emphasis on timing, power and distance - combined with their sometimes apparent lack of an explicitly obvious and continuous defense; can make boxers from Russia or the Ukraine appear to be easy and/or well managed targets.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    VLO may babe been the pinnacle of modern Amateur Boxing Achievement... Truthfully I was a little bit disappointed after repeatedly hearing about his many exploits (from being virtually undefeated in five hundred fights....to being able to walk entire city blocks on his hands).

It was the stuff legends are made of. Its not that VLO isn't good... He displayed a lot of hubris going after a title in only his second (achnowleged) pro fight. He also displayed a lot of courage against a dirty, overweight brawler who pulled every nasty trick in the book .....who also possesses eons worth of experience in championship fights.

I guess I was expecting to see the type of talent that only emerges from the active gene pool of prospective champions once every few decades.

Im not sure that's what I saw........ but he's very capable ...I would suspect VLO is easily a more well rounded fighter than Russell.
    I'm just trying to comprehend why Russell accepted the fight without testing himself first against better competition?... Its just not making any sense.....I've seen Russell hurt by less capable boxers... But why look a gift horse in the mouth?

Its still a very intriguing fight that I look forward to watching... Two young undefeated lions... Its going to be a very rare and unique night of boxing.
    I understand your disappointment. It was a bit of a downer that he performed the way he did. But I assure you as someone who's seen all his fights on the net, this was Lomachenko on first gear throughout the fight.
    Really, we were all expecting a fighter expressing ATG ability like his two-time Olympic gold counterpart, Rigondeaux.

I spoke about the strategy Lomachenko used in the amateurs, and if this was used over 12 rounds, he'd be in a much more resourceful position to demolish his opponents. If Lomachenko watches some Joe Calzaghe tapes and incorporates this, then, I have no doubt we have the featherweight GOAT in history. Until then, it's not going to be as easy. Right now, Lomachenko is far too clinical for the pros.

I still believe that VL can be on the P4P list by next year. He is something special.

Quote Originally Posted by The_King_AJ View Post
    I understand your disappointment. It was a bit of a downer that he performed the way he did. But I assure you as someone who's seen all his fights on the net, this was Lomachenko on first gear throughout the fight.
    Really, we were all expecting a fighter expressing ATG ability like his two-time Olympic gold counterpart, Rigondeaux.

I spoke about the strategy Lomachenko used in the amateurs, and if this was used over 12 rounds, he'd be in a much more resourceful position to demolish his opponents. If Lomachenko watches some Joe Calzaghe tapes and incorporates this, then, I have no doubt we have the featherweight GOAT in history. Until then, it's not going to be as easy. Right now, Lomachenko is far too clinical for the pros.
    Good perspective AJ.... His worse sin was thinking the ref was going to make Salido play fair.
    By the time he realized there would be no one to enforce the rules and took matters into his own hands, Salido had Banked rounds.
    He won't make that mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Good perspective AJ.... His worse sin was thinking the ref was going to make Salido play fair.
    By the time he realized there would be no one to enforce the rules and took matters into his own hands, Salido had Banked rounds.
    He won't make that mistake again.
    We can only hope. Vasyl has the image of a very clean fighter, but I've seen instances, many in fact, in the amateurs where he has been pretty dirty himself and if he's trying to keep a clean image, he's chosen the wrong construct....this is the pros, not the amateurs.