English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Russell Jr vs Lomachenko

Russell Jr vs Lomachenko

16 days till more questions are answered and we get a new World Champ.

Will Lomachenko's prowess come to light in the pro game? Will Gary RJr be too hot to handle? What do you guys think, predictions?

I personally see Vasyl not making the mistakes he made last time around and will look like he has 20+ pro fights compared to Russell's 3. He faced a real baptism of fire (which I always support) and he's going to come back with a serious point to prove. Gary and his pops will have their work cut out for them in my opinion and they'll realise it from the get go.

Lomachenko will dominate the pace and style of the fight with Gary having to be sporadic in his offence to try throw Loma off his rhythm.

The month of June will not disappoint starting this weekend, so many great fights!

Re: Russell Jr vs Lomachenko

I jinxed VL last time so I will stay out of it this time.

Personally I don't believe in the power of jinxing. I don't believe one person can embody the power of good or bad fortune... But we can create positive or negative results by directly influencing situations within our own grasp.

I want to know if Gary Russell can use his blinding speed to influence the judges against another boxer with equal skills.
    Lomanchenko is not a brawler... and he doesn't fight dirty. But he does bring a good amatuer record and a high level of ambition when he confronts a dangerous Gary Russell in roughly two weeks... Who in my opinion beats Salido everyday and twice on Sunday.

This fight will be determined by skill, will, and character. Its a 50/50 fight. Don't confuse Gary Russell with Deontay Wilder. This kid knows boxing inside and out despite the less than scintillating competition he's face throughout this pro career.
    Last edited by brownsugar; 06-05-2014 at 12:44 PM.

I agree with you, Skibbz, about V-Lo's "Baptism of Fire" against Salido.

First of all, Salido knew he stood not a prayer at 126 against V-Lo, so he decided to forsake his title and come in at a weight which made him comfortable and at which he felt strong. So, by the time the bell rung, Salido was close to welterweight! Secondly, Salido played on V-Lo's inexperience as a pro.

With close to 500 amateur fights, V-Lo has learned to play by the rules. Don't hit with an open glove. Don't hold. Don't elbow. Don't hit low. Fight clean.

Then, with all of one pro fight under his belt, he runs into Orlando Salido. Couple that with the fact that the ref was of absolutely no use, V-Lo was outgunned. However, he dug deep and learned what being a pro is all about. Believe me, he is a fast learner. Off the Salido fight, V-Lo is going to be a better fighter, a better pro.

V-Lo has faced fast opponents before. That's all Gary Russell brings into the ring--blazing speed. V-Lo will be able to deal with that blazing speed. He will methodically break Russell down, punch by punch and round by round.

This should be a fast-paced, very entertaining fight. It may even be a two-sided fight. But in the end, either by late-round TKO or unanimous decision, V-Lo will have his hand raised for the second time as a pro.

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Personally I don't believe in the power of jinxing. I don't believe one person can embody the power of good or bad fortune... But we can create positive or negative results by directly influencing situations within our own grasp.

I want to know if Gary Russell can use his blinding speed to influence the judges against another boxer with equal skills.
    Lomanchenko is not a brawler... and he doesn't fight dirty. But he does bring a good amatuer record and a high level of ambition when he confronts a dangerous Gary Russell in roughly two weeks... Who in my opinion beats Salido everyday and twice on Sunday.

This fight will be determined by skill, will, and character. Its a 50/50 fight. Don't confuse Gary Russell with Deontay Wilder. This kid knows boxing inside and out despite the less than scintillating competition he's face throughout this pro career.
    Bit of an understatement about Lomachenko's amateur career.. I just got a feeling all that speed and experience will get negated by Lomachenko who I have down as the better boxer of the pair.

@Commissioner Very well said, Vasyl was up against his nightmare but he still did his best to fight through it and was winning rounds toward the end of the fight.

I'm with Brownsugar, it'll be all about skill, will and character. I hope Russell comes out with some seriousness and banks the first round if not the first two. It might be enough to really put both guys on their turbo's and give us a great top quality fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Bit of an understatement about Lomachenko's amateur career.. I just got a feeling all that speed and experience will get negated by Lomachenko who I have down as the better boxer of the pair.

@Commissioner Very well said, Vasyl was up against his nightmare but he still did his best to fight through it and was winning rounds toward the end of the fight.

I'm with Brownsugar, it'll be all about skill, will and character. I hope Russell comes out with some seriousness and banks the first round if not the first two. It might be enough to really put both guys on their turbo's and give us a great top quality fight.
    On paper Lomanchenko is the better boxer...but 20 or so pro bouts have to count for something also the professional learning curve (or lack there of) was plain to see in the Salido fight...and somewhat negates Lomanchenkos sterling amateur advantage.

We'll be able to see in the first 2or 3 rounds who really wants it, no doubt Loma's taking no shortcuts in camp to prove himself the better man. I'm basically just happy the fight is happening... Finally an opportunity to see what each man can do.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    On paper Lomanchenko is the better boxer...but 20 or so pro bouts have to count for something also the professional learning curve (or lack there of) was plain to see in the Salido fight...and somewhat negates Lomanchenkos sterling amateur advantage.

We'll be able to see in the first 2or 3 rounds who really wants it, no doubt Loma's taking no shortcuts in camp to prove himself the better man. I'm basically just happy the fight is happening... Finally an opportunity to see what each man can do.
    You make a fair point and you could be right, how do you think the first few rounds are going to pan out? I'm hoping for Gary to take the first two to really make Loma turn it on. It's going to be a great night.

This was one of my "Dream Fights" when I first heard V-Lo was turning pro. Now it's gonna' happen.

Ya' gotta' love it!

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    You make a fair point and you could be right, how do you think the first few rounds are going to pan out? I'm hoping for Gary to take the first two to really make Loma turn it on. It's going to be a great night.
    Any scenario I come up with would be wishful thinking...
    For some reason my crystal ball is very cloudy aheadbof this fight.. I'll watch some you tube and reply when I have a better informed opinion.

But if VL comes out setting the pace, being first and stealing rounds it won't go well for Russell, Russell needs to get respect early.

I am not making a prediction therefor VL will win.