English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Joshua and Hype in the Heavyweight Divison

Re: Anthony Joshua and Hype in the Heavyweight Divison

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    that was an exceptionally good Read TheGrey,.. I saw a recent interview where Joshua was asked if he wanted to fight Tony the Tiger Thompson or David Price.

Joshua's answer was that he was in utter awe of both fighters. Joshua said something to the effect that it would be blasphemy to even entertain thoughts about fighting either of those accomplished athletes this early in his fledgling career. ..... the interview is only a couple of month old.

I was shocked at his humbleness and self-depreciating conversation. I don't think is in any danger of AJ becoming a bragging blowhard of the Shannon Briggs variety. He seems to have his feet firmly planted and is making his name one fight at a time.
    Thanks brownsugar.

His humility is indeed very endearing, and its just what he needs at the moment. If he can keep viewing every opponent with an element of awe, then he'll retain that crucial hunger that will help him reach the top. He needs to keep his feet on the floor, and it'll become harder to do as his name becomes bigger and bigger. he needs to listen to the right people around him, and thankfully as Skibbz says there are great people helping him. It's difficult not to succumb to your own reputation, especially when you're AJ, but if he keeps improving bit by bit as we've seen in his pro fights, then we could one day have another British heavyweight champ, but it's best to think about it one fight at a time for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    He is in terrifyingly good physical shape that's for sure but as you said it's a delicate business handling a potential heavyweight champ. I was the same about Price, he looked like he was the man for the job... but when push came to shove he lost out... A disappointment indeed.

I am reluctant to believe in the abilities of a British Heavyweight (especially one with a gold medal), I have always said about Joshua that until we see the proof in the pudding I will reserve my praise.

The heavyweight championship of the world is perhaps the most prized and special sporting achievement in the world that sends the holder into global stardom. You walk into any town in the world and people find out you're the heavyweight champ, you'll have a crowd of people around you in moments. It's a very special position and just reaching the point to which you're able to compete for it takes many years of suffering and privation, hunger and belief.

Joshua is on the right path, but that path is littered with every bad breed and greedy leech you can imagine all with an eye to throw him off and into the dump. I don't think he'll be as blessed as Deontay has been with his opponents. In the UK right now we have at least 5 heavyweights who would put up a good fight with Stiverne, and would all equally love a chance to get stuck in with Klitschko. Joshua has to beat all of them before ascending higher up the ranks.. As you said, only time will tell how far he goes.

Off the topic of Joshua, Eddie Chambers has made a few digs at David Haye recently, that would be a good one to watch.
    Too true Skibbz. Untill we see him tested, it's all theory and speculation. He looks the part certainly- a 6'6" giant of a man, in excellent physical condition, but unfortunately you can't win a fight on looking good, you win it by being mean and ugly!

The heavyweights in Britain are certainly up for a scrap- Tyson Fury and Derek Chisora this July will be a very interesting match up, and I'm going for Fury to clinch it. (By the way, what direction do we think the winner of that bout will go after July? Klitscko? Wilder? Stiverne? Surely they'll have to go international at any rate.)

If we one day see Joshua fight his way through the British heavyweights to emerge supreme, then I'll be very proud of him indeed, he's certainly one of the nicest guys to be ruling the roost around here, and he lives just a few miles from me, he even went to the same gym as me!

Joshua's next fight will be another steps up for him. Skelton has some serious experience when it comes to fighting (perhaps too much at 47 years old!)- he's been a champion kickboxer and packs a decent punch, but I think Johsua's going to teach the old fart a thing or two come July!

Come on AJ!

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post

Off the topic of Joshua, Eddie Chambers has made a few digs at David Haye recently, that would be a good one to watch.
    God I hope Haye comes back on the scene. I fancy an in form, in shape Haye's chances against ANYONE in the division. I'd love to see him back in fighting form, it was such a shame when is fight with Fury was cancelled for the injury, it was one of my most anticipated bouts.

Little out of left field but I say put him in there with Tarver. Tarver wants a heavyweight fight and needs a fight because he is in to Haymon for about 300K. In addition, it would be a name on Joshua's resume, a beatable opponent and fight where I do not think he is in danger of being hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Doctor View Post
    Little out of left field but I say put him in there with Tarver. Tarver wants a heavyweight fight and needs a fight because he is in to Haymon for about 300K. In addition, it would be a name on Joshua's resume, a beatable opponent and fight where I do not think he is in danger of being hurt.
    I would be hesitant to throw AJ in there with Tarver just yet. Tarver has experience, and he has a punch. My concern would be that Tarver would come on a little strong for Joshua, and the rookie may not be able to handle it so well. Even if he does win, it may expose a couple of problems that AJ could do without having exposed at this stage in his career.

If I were managing Joshua, I'd wait a little while before putting Tarver against him- maybe around Joshua's 10th fight. But you're right, it'll be a decent name on his check-list of beaten opponents once he gets there.

Loving the heavyweight division again.

Anthony Joshua is another big reson.

As for David Haye, I, too, hope his shoulder heals well. m mI would love to see him back in the mix, even for one fight. His injection of craziness/enthusiasm makes things even more exciting.

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    I would be hesitant to throw AJ in there with Tarver just yet. Tarver has experience, and he has a punch. My concern would be that Tarver would come on a little strong for Joshua, and the rookie may not be able to handle it so well. Even if he does win, it may expose a couple of problems that AJ could do without having exposed at this stage in his career.

If I were managing Joshua, I'd wait a little while before putting Tarver against him- maybe around Joshua's 10th fight. But you're right, it'll be a decent name on his check-list of beaten opponents once he gets there.
    You obviously have more faith in Tarver than I do. In his last fight against an opponent with a pulse, Kayode, Tarver was an atrocity of epic proportions. He looked slow, stiff, and uncoordinated. He also looked that way in a fight where in the post fight testing he got popped for PED's. In addition, he has had only one fight at Heavyweight. I think that makes him ripe for a young lion like Joshua to rough him up.

Joshua vs Tarver? I could see it happening the future but not just yet. I think Eddie Chambers is keen on fighting Tarver wherever he wants it, and i'm sure he'd give him a beat down. Some point soon after that I'm sure Joshua could slip in, work his talents and get a solid name on his record. For now he has to get past Skelton, let's see how he does against someone who will undoubtedly put up a good fight... I still don't see it going beyond the 2nd though..

Tarver was barely competitive when he was a lightheavy during the last few years. His cruiserweight debut wasn't much to remember either except for the use of banned substances.

Tarver would only be a threat to a complete novice at heavyweight.
    I think AJ is capable of competing with better talent than the aging blown up Tarver.

David Haye vs Tarver brought to you by people who hate boxing fans and only want to make some $