English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Joshua and Hype in the Heavyweight Divison

Anthony Joshua and Hype in the Heavyweight Divison

Cotton Wrapped Heavyweight Contenders.

The heavyweight championship of the world is the most coveted and respected title in the sporting world. The heavyweight champion is the premier athlete, the most fearsome pugilist. In the simplest and purest form of competition, man on man, there is not another soul that can best him.

At least, that's the perception. That's what the title's all about isn't it?

Today's heavyweight division though, is far from being the jungle that once produced kings among men. The current era has been saturated by overweight sluggers, jellying around the ring with displays of skill that are hardly worthy of the prestige attached to the crown they strive for. What should be one of the most explosive and exciting divisions has so often been reduced to a mockery of its own stature in the sporting world, with many fans struggling to see current champions standing up to the heavyweight heroes of years gone by.

The Klitschko's long held monopoly over the heavyweight straps, with their effective but less than fan friendly styles, has recently been broken by the Haitian Bermane Stiverne, and this could well herald a new era of hungry heavyweight hitters challenging for the world title.

Through this era of relative obscurity, the reputation of the division has remained so strong, the prestige of the title still so great, that, should a great champion become crowned again, he would immediately become one of the greatest sensations of the boxing and sporting world. And in a world ever plagued by the vices of greed and exploitation, this is not lost on today’s boxing promoters. They know as well as we do the potential profits attached to a heavyweight star prospect, or, dare they dream it, a star heavyweight champion. The title oozes wealth to both the champion and all those around him.

It is for these reasons that we find, from time to time, a heavyweight boxer promoted as a prospect for the championship well before they have been truly tested. Into this category fall two particular names: Deontay Wilder, the giant, athletic American bomber with the thirty-one knock out streak, and the Englishman Anthony Joshua (6-0-0), who won gold at the London 2012 Olympics, and recently starred on the unforgettable Froch Groves II under-card at Wembley arena.. Both men's careers are being carefully managed in order to present them as an historic, unstoppable knock out artist.

Johsua is a prime example of the way that someone can be 'hyped' into an achievement, before they ever actually make it. Those around him are celebrating his world champion status as if it were inevitable- surrounding him with a host of new cars and expensive clothes, introducing him to celebrity personalities and altogether plunging him into a lifestyle of accomplishment, when the greatest hurdles of his career remain well in the distance. The young man has been immersed into a lavish lifestyle of success befitting a champion heavyweight, and while his career in the amateurs is extremely impressive- it's no accident that he is now the proud possessor of an Olympic gold medal, and an MBE too, he is as yet untested in the pro game, having fought just nine rounds over six fights, and some of those performances appeared less than impressive when subjected to critical analysis.

The man himself appears, for now to be remaining cool and calm under all this attention, difficult as it must be for a young man so regularly lauded by domestic press as a 'sensation'. For now, he has adopted 'Stay Hungry' as his mantra, perhaps recognising that without retaining hunger in is soul, his greatest dreams will never be realised.

This is Joshua's most recent fight: his sixth as a professional.

Despite being caught by a few clean punches, perhaps the most punishment he's taken as a professional, Joshua remained calm, and delivered the expected first round KO. However, being caught several times by a fringe contender, who's record was just 7-3, suggests flaws in Anthony's game that will need to be ironed out rapidly if he's to prove he's not just another hyped up heavy.

Re: Anthony Joshua and Hype in the Heavyweight Divison

And let me just say, I have the utmost respect to ANYONE who gets in the ring for a living, and I mean no disrespect to any heavyweights, I mean only to say that the average level of skill and athleticism has fallen sharply in recent years.

Great post Grey enjoyed reading it very much. I will always be the first to tell someone that before the fame and money must come glory. Joshua's talk of staying hungry is very important, he must remain so otherwise he will not be up to the trials he will surely face in training and in the ring.

I watched his fight against Legg and from the moment the bell rung you could see Legg was determined to test him. He had me up and out of my seat when he charged forward and started to throw his hooks - but Joshua weathered the one or two shots that landed and got Legg out of there very fast, his fastest stoppage if i'm not mistaken. He's up against better competition in Matt Skelton in his next fight in Liverpool, Skelton will surely test him but I still see AJ taking the W.

Take a look at this fight for Joshua's next most recent bout. He comes out very heavily muscle bound- too much so, many would say for a boxer. His muscles are short. He looks like he's been lifting weights, rendering him slow and top heavy. His calves are very skinny compared to the size of his back and shoulders.

Joshua's combinations are simple, his head and upper body movement minimal, and his footwork is hardly the smoothest- appearing unnatural and slow.

Thankfully, he appeared rather leaner at Wembley than he did against Avila, so that's at least one major issue being addressed.

If you ask me though, Joshua falls into the same category as Deontay Wilder, and isn't a prospect I'll be holding my breath on- they're both first round knock outs in waiting, and as soon as they come up against someone who means business, the big guy will fall!

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Great post Grey enjoyed reading it very much. I will always be the first to tell someone that before the fame and money must come glory. Joshua's talk of staying hungry is very important, he must remain so otherwise he will not be up to the trials he will surely face in training and in the ring.

I watched his fight against Legg and from the moment the bell rung you could see Legg was determined to test him. He had me up and out of my seat when he charged forward and started to throw his hooks - but Joshua weathered the one or two shots that landed and got Legg out of there very fast, his fastest stoppage if i'm not mistaken. He's up against better competition in Matt Skelton in his next fight in Liverpool, Skelton will surely test him but I still see AJ taking the W.
    Yeah Skelton will be a bigger test for him for sure, but I agree AJ will take a win, and it wont take long either.

From now on though, I'm putting £1 on Joshua getting KO'd in the first round. As soon as he comes up against someone hungrier than he is, he'll get eaten before he realises he's tonight's dish!

His combinations for the knock out of Legg was quality in my opinion. His footwork needs improvement and he just liked Wilder has been boxing for less than 10 years. He took it up aged 18 after stepping into a ring with his cousin, he used to smoke funky cigarettes and drink alcohol before hand but he put those far behind him before he ever reached the Olympics.

He's only 6 in, so only time will tell how he does. He will fill out by a few years time he still has yet to fit into his full adult frame. He just needs to keep working relentlessly, keep listening to his team and fighting as often as they advise. There are plenty of serious British and European Heavyweights for him to fight, when he reaches close to 20 fights we will see how good he really is. Exciting prospect in my opinion!

that was an exceptionally good Read TheGrey,.. I saw a recent interview where Joshua was asked if he wanted to fight Tony the Tiger Thompson or David Price.

Joshua's answer was that he was in utter awe of both fighters. Joshua said something to the effect that it would be blasphemy to even entertain thoughts about fighting either of those accomplished athletes this early in his fledgling career. ..... the interview is only a couple of month old.

I was shocked at his humbleness and self-depreciating conversation. I don't think is in any danger of AJ becoming a bragging blowhard of the Shannon Briggs variety. He seems to have his feet firmly planted and is making his name one fight at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    that was an exceptionally good Read TheGrey,.. I saw a recent interview where Joshua was asked if he wanted to fight Tony the Tiger Thompson or David Price.

Joshua's answer was that he was in utter awe of both fighters. Joshua said something to the effect that it would be blasphemy to even entertain thoughts about fighting either of those accomplished athletes this early in his fledgling career. ..... the interview is only a couple of month old.

I was shocked at his humbleness and self-depreciating conversation. I don't think is in any danger of AJ becoming a bragging blowhard of the Shannon Briggs variety. He seems to have his feet firmly planted and is making his name one fight at a time.
    I agree BrownSugar it's really nice to see, at first I must admit I wasn't too impressed when I saw the boxing suits lavish gifts and celebrity on Joshua. But as time passes you still see him in the gym, still see him with is feet on the ground. If he ever loses that then he will never reach the pinnacle of the sport. He left the world of partying, smoking and drinking (the fast track to failure) and pushes himself to be hungry and train hard. He still has much to learn but he's got the right teachers, I just hope he doesn't get rushed and remains grounded..

What do you make of him?

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    I agree BrownSugar it's really nice to see, at first I must admit I wasn't too impressed when I saw the boxing suits lavish gifts and celebrity on Joshua. But as time passes you still see him in the gym, still see him with is feet on the ground. If he ever loses that then he will never reach the pinnacle of the sport. He left the world of partying, smoking and drinking (the fast track to failure) and pushes himself to be hungry and train hard. He still has much to learn but he's got the right teachers, I just hope he doesn't get rushed and remains grounded..

What do you make of him?
    Just on his imposing looks alone... If I stepped into the ring against a boxer who looked like AJ... I'd probably tell my corner that I'm changing my profession to become a shoe salesman.

AJ has all the right equipment and credentials to become a standout performer in the heavyweight division... more promising than Deontay Wilder but as you know Skibbz ....growing a heavy weight champion is delicate business.. all the conditions must be perfect during the embryonic stage.

I thought David price was going to be the savior of the heavyweight division....you know ....release the hostage of heavyweight boxing that had been imprisoned by the Klitschkos for so long but Tony Thompson took his heart.... or maybe Price lost it on the way to the ring.

But with his skill set ( even though Price has no chin) he should have easily dominated Tony the Tiger...what a disappointment.

I'll give AJ a far better chance than Price. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Just on his imposing looks alone... If I stepped into the ring against a boxer who looked like AJ... I'd probably tell my corner that I'm changing my profession to become a shoe salesman.

AJ has all the right equipment and credentials to become a standout performer in the heavyweight division... more promising than Deontay Wilder but as you know Skibbz ....growing a heavy weight champion is delicate business.. all the conditions must be perfect during the embryonic stage.

I thought David price was going to be the savior of the heavyweight division....you know ....release the hostage of heavyweight boxing that had been imprisoned by the Klitschkos for so long but Tony Thompson took his heart.... or maybe Price lost it on the way to the ring.

But with his skill set ( even though Price has no chin) he should have easily dominated Tony the Tiger...what a disappointment.

I'll give AJ a far better chance than Price. Time will tell.
    He is in terrifyingly good physical shape that's for sure but as you said it's a delicate business handling a potential heavyweight champ. I was the same about Price, he looked like he was the man for the job... but when push came to shove he lost out... A disappointment indeed.

I am reluctant to believe in the abilities of a British Heavyweight (especially one with a gold medal), I have always said about Joshua that until we see the proof in the pudding I will reserve my praise.

The heavyweight championship of the world is perhaps the most prized and special sporting achievement in the world that sends the holder into global stardom. You walk into any town in the world and people find out you're the heavyweight champ, you'll have a crowd of people around you in moments. It's a very special position and just reaching the point to which you're able to compete for it takes many years of suffering and privation, hunger and belief.

Joshua is on the right path, but that path is littered with every bad breed and greedy leech you can imagine all with an eye to throw him off and into the dump. I don't think he'll be as blessed as Deontay has been with his opponents. In the UK right now we have at least 5 heavyweights who would put up a good fight with Stiverne, and would all equally love a chance to get stuck in with Klitschko. Joshua has to beat all of them before ascending higher up the ranks.. As you said, only time will tell how far he goes.

Off the topic of Joshua, Eddie Chambers has made a few digs at David Haye recently, that would be a good one to watch.