English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bernard Hopkins Weighs In on Golden Boy Situation

Advanced Users

Re: Bernard Hopkins Weighs In on Golden Boy Situation

Optical illusions are everywhere. And Big Money Oscar did da double dare. What Swizz cheese is going to do now, he doesn't care.

Wow strange bedfellows are a coming. And BMO and Da BobFather are up high on the mountaintop. Their competition is the in-the-valley bottom drop. And with great inattention blindness, this coming bottom drop has you guys focusing locally on the U.S. mainland.

Globally, Da BobFather, TR, BMO, GBP and HBO are making Swizz cheese, tsAH, TMT and Showtime look like welfare cases. It is a BIG MOOLAH thing -- gone GLOBALLY, babbbbbbbeeeeeee! And outta Asia, The Middle East and Russia. Holla!

Not really. Bob is only going to work with Oscar when advantageous to him -- just like in the past. Whereas Oscar will work with him when it's good for "the fans."

That's the difference.

Manny Pacquiao vs. Mauricio Herrera.

Manny Pacquiao vs. Jesus Soto-Karrass. Lol. Imagine that sh*t.

As for any swerve on Oscar's behalf? Lol. That's funny. Dude is not that bright. At all.

I doubt he could swerve Richard Schaefer's son.

Also, keep in mind that this guy flip-flops on the regular. Maybe it's the side effects of being coked up, I don't know...

But in the past few years, he's gone on the record calling Arum senile, then trying to reconcile on Twitter. Then back to hating the guy, in one case oddly longing for Arum's death to come soon.

That's what Schaefer said, too, he can't figure out whether Oscar loves Arum or hates him. "They're like two love birds."

And Bob is oh so shrewd, there is nothing personal there - just business. He will bend Oscar over, put him in the Camel clutch and give it to him old country way.

As for those other cats? Make no mistake about it: Al Haymon is breaded up. TO THE MAX. Dude is a freak of nature, whether people want to believe me or not. Nine-figures worth. Easy.

This freaking guy RAN the music/concert promotional business in his '30s (!), introducing innovations no others could fathom. I the meantime, all the other change-resistant farts who couldn't change with the times, much less agree how to join forces to combat the guy, slowly ceded their position as the guy slowly turned the landscape into what we see today.

IN FACT, the business model of his tours -- similar to Floyd's business model; I'll break it down ones of these days -- has permeated professional sports such as the NBA and made an imprint there!

Remember the NBA lockout? The players were asking for more money, noting how performers would command certain percentages for performing and players -- as the attractions -- felt they were entitled to bigger pieces of the pie.

They were referring to the "Al Haymon model."

Haymon pisses people off because he inflates/adjusts their market value by decreasing his profit margins while increasing performer pay -- and this keeping artist, fighter, performer, what have you happy!

Look at this picture:
    image.jpg

I get why promoters hate him. I understand why performers love him. But I don't get why fans care.

Also, HBO isn't anything on a global scale. Hell, they couldn't even send their announcers to London. Plus, they're a domestic company anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Bob Arum is a shrewd guy who will do damage in China, raking in big bucks. Especially if the PPV takes off. Major move for them.

Meantime, Schaefer and Haymon will rule boxing domestically, like they've been doing, and seek to take over Mexico and the Middle East.

There's enough for everyone to play.
    Last edited by The Shadow; 06-03-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Ricard Schaefer is a back stabber, no more no less !

Looking at that picture I now understand why he gives no interviews and stays in the shadows.

Questions:

If Oscar is not bright why did he hire Schaefer? Or maybe he is not bright for hiring Schaefer? Or maybe he is not bright for letting boxers fight on GBP cards without signing them to contracts?

If Al Haymon prevents the big fights from happening why would the fans like him?

Also if Swiss cheese still has a stake in GBP, why would he work against his interests and go with another outfit to compete against himself?

Is The Shadow one of the unnamed John Doe's 1-8 listed along with Al Haymon on the Subpoenas filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York ?

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    Looking at that picture I now understand why he gives no interviews and stays in the shadows.

Questions:

If Oscar is not bright why did he hire Schaefer? Or maybe he is not bright for hiring Schaefer? Or maybe he is not bright for letting boxers fight on GBP cards without signing them to contracts?

If Al Haymon prevents the big fights from happening why would the fans like him?

Also if Swiss cheese still has a stake in GBP, why would he work against his interests and go with another outfit to compete against himself?

Is The Shadow one of the unnamed John Doe's 1-8 listed along with Al Haymon on the Subpoenas filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York ?
    First three questions are rhetorical in nature, I assume? As for your next question.

Al Haymon prevents the biggest fights? Really? Really?!

Last I checked he was instrumental or directly involved in 4/10 biggest fights of all time -- 5 others involve Mike Tyson -- and 4/5 biggest PPV fights (Canelo, De La Hoya, Cotto, Mosley) since he got involved with boxing.

In addition, he's been instrumental in staging the top 2 live gates in Las Vegas EVER and three our of the top four. The biggest projected fight fell apart because one side refused to do drug testing and decided to sue instead of taking the tests.

You can opine as much as you want but the fact is the facts don't support that notion that Al Haymon "prevents the big fights from happening." Not even a little bit. Anyone can say that but that doesn't make it true, simply because the facts prove otherwise.

(And please, don't bring up that pathetically non-commercial matchup of Stevenson-Kovalev. What happened to free will? Stevenson could've stayed if he wanted. That was HIS decision. Not Haymon's. Just because people accept Haymon's offers doesn't make Haymon a bad guy. That makes him an impact player. Remember, others bid for the same guys.)

As for Schaefer's stake in GBP, I'm not sure I understand the question? It's not like Schaefer came back from the future to retroactively include this stake while knowing of his departure (though I wouldn't shocked to hear such a claim lol).

Either way, the scenario of owning stock/shares in one company while working for another is not all that uncommon in business. But let's see how it plays out.

Nope, haha, The Shadow is not a John Doe The Shadow is the bearer of truth and unfiltered fact with no bias beyond what's real. I support what I say with cold, hard facts, figures and nothing else -- just as I just did.

Any opinion injected has the disclaimer of being such. Sometimes emotions, values, beliefs or opinions can cloud one's perception of what's real. In this particular case, the facts speak for themselves.

http://changingminds.org/disciplines...nce_change.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Ricard Schaefer is a back stabber, no more no less !
    How so?

There is no question where B-Hop is heading. GBP, as we once knew it, does not exist any more. Richard Schaefer has joined forces with $$$May, Leonard Ellerbe & the Lordf himself, Al Haymon. I am guessing it will be up to a court--if not the California State Athletic Commission--to decide what happens to the contracts held by Golden Boy with so many fighters.

I just hope Oscar gets to enjoy his IBHOF Weekend.

-Randy G.

There have been reports for months that fighters have been signing with Al Haymon and then fighting on Showtime for GBP without signing long term contracts with GBP. This was clearly a set up for a split - Haymon wants to be able to take those fighters elsewhere, either to an entirely new promotional outfit or (more likely) to a ramped up Mayweather Promotions.

Obviously this happened on Schaefer's watch as GBP CEO (with Oscar apparently in and out of rehab and generally asleep at the wheel), and it looks a lot like a breach of his fiduciary duties to the company paying his salary, particularly if he ends up taking up a position with Haymon or MP once any non-compete clause runs out. By comparison, look at how Arum runs his operation - he'll put a major cash cow offside and lose a big payday rather than lose his long term tie to a fighter (see the JCC-GGG fiasco).

Of course, all business is dirty and boxing is no cleaner than any other, so if Schaefer gets away with it (which he probably will) more power to him. At most he'll have to settle up with Oscar at some stage, in court or at the courtroom door.

What it means for boxing is probably that GBP becomes a shell of its current self and Oscar makes up with Arum to ensure his own survival, but the cold war continues with the Haymon-Schaefer-Showtime axis against the TR-HBO axis.

If this is the way it plays out, I'll be curious to see whether Mayweather Promotions becomes a genuine big hitter (i.e. by tying fighters up with long term exclusive contracts and building its own relationships with the networks) or whether Haymon wants a permanent power shift so the promoter needs the manager and his stable more than the manager needs the promoter. For all his bluster I'm not sure I see Floyd sitting at the negotiating table as an equal with Haymon - maybe with Schaefer on his side he'll do ok, but we have seen how loyal Schaefer is in the long run.

Other than a few pieces of fruit that might get blown off the tree like (hopefully) Pac-Canelo, it's hard to see this leading to better match ups or more competitive fights. If Haymon has in fact been protecting his fighters and trying to convince the public they should want high dollar showcases for his stars rather than superfights, nothing is likely to change.

Quote Originally Posted by samsa View Post
    There have been reports for months that fighters have been signing with Al Haymon and then fighting on Showtime for GBP without signing long term contracts with GBP. This was clearly a set up for a split - Haymon wants to be able to take those fighters elsewhere, either to an entirely new promotional outfit or (more likely) to a ramped up Mayweather Promotions.

Obviously this happened on Schaefer's watch as GBP CEO (with Oscar apparently in and out of rehab and generally asleep at the wheel), and it looks a lot like a breach of his fiduciary duties to the company paying his salary, particularly if he ends up taking up a position with Haymon or MP once any non-compete clause runs out. By comparison, look at how Arum runs his operation - he'll put a major cash cow offside and lose a big payday rather than lose his long term tie to a fighter (see the JCC-GGG fiasco).

Of course, all business is dirty and boxing is no cleaner than any other, so if Schaefer gets away with it (which he probably will) more power to him. At most he'll have to settle up with Oscar at some stage, in court or at the courtroom door.

What it means for boxing is probably that GBP becomes a shell of its current self and Oscar makes up with Arum to ensure his own survival, but the cold war continues with the Haymon-Schaefer-Showtime axis against the TR-HBO axis.

If this is the way it plays out, I'll be curious to see whether Mayweather Promotions becomes a genuine big hitter (i.e. by tying fighters up with long term exclusive contracts and building its own relationships with the networks) or whether Haymon wants a permanent power shift so the promoter needs the manager and his stable more than the manager needs the promoter. For all his bluster I'm not sure I see Floyd sitting at the negotiating table as an equal with Haymon - maybe with Schaefer on his side he'll do ok, but we have seen how loyal Schaefer is in the long run.

Other than a few pieces of fruit that might get blown off the tree like (hopefully) Pac-Canelo, it's hard to see this leading to better match ups or more competitive fights. If Haymon has in fact been protecting his fighters and trying to convince the public they should want high dollar showcases for his stars rather than superfights, nothing is likely to change.
    Hmmmmm......

Who are you? You sound like you're in the industry. Nice post.

Quote Originally Posted by samsa View Post

Hmmmmm......

Who are you? You sound like you're in the industry.