English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bernard Hopkins Weighs In on Golden Boy Situation

Bernard Hopkins Weighs In on Golden Boy Situation

?The last time Bernard Hopkins registered a knockout in the ring was onSept. 18, 2004, when he landed a left hook to the liver that put Oscar De La Hoya, gasping for breath,down and outon the canvasin the ninth round of their middleweight unificationshowdownat Las Vegas’ MGM Grand.
    ?A decade later, is Hopkins prepared to again knock out the “Golden Boy,” only this time in a business sense?
    ?Although he insists nothing is etched in stoneat this point, Hopkins, who shortly after that watershed victory a decade ago became a limited partner in De La Hoya’s company, Golden Boy Promotions, is dropping broad hints as to where his loyalties lie in the aftermath of Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer’s announcement on Monday that he had resigned that position, effective immediately.
    ?“It’s got to be run by somebody,” Hopkins said of Golden Boy Promotions’ now murky future. “But it’s going to be very, very difficult for Golden Boy to keep the credibility of the brand without Richard Schaefer.
    ?“A guy like Richard –and let me say that we don’t always agree on everything – really can’t be replaced.I’ll reiterate: Richard Schaefercannot be replaced. Things will continue to be run (at GBP), but they won’t – can’t – be the same. Richard is a man who is stern when he needs to bestern,and fair when he needs to be fair. It’s hard to find people like that in boxing. He’s one of the biggest and most respected players there is. Even the people who don’t care for him too much on a personal level have got to respect him when it comes tothe way he doeshis job.
    ?“Think about it. Who really ran Golden Boy? I’m not talking about popping up in the office once or twice a year. Who was there, doing the deals, on a day-to-day basis?”
    ?If that sounds like a veiled shot atDe La Hoya,the occasional visitor to his own companywhose relationship with his onetime close friend Schaefer has grown increasingly chilly, draw your own conclusions.
    ?“Oscar’s been talking to certain people,” Hopkins said, a pointed reference tothe olive branch extended byDe La Hoya to his former promoterand more recent adversary, Top Rank founder Bob Arum, with whom Schaefer has adamantly refused todo business. “He’s been tweeting. He showed up atCanelo’s (Alvarez) camp. OK, he’s rededicated, he’s gotten himself together,he’sburying the hatchet (with Arum).Great.But with him doing all that, is anybody really surprised that this thing with Richard happened? The only thing that’s a shock is that it took this long to go down.”
    ?The ramifications of the De La Hoya/Schaefer split are significant.It was Schaefer who hasa close personal and working relationship with boxing’s most bankable fighter, FloydMayweatherJr., aswell as withMayweather’sinfluential adviser, AlHaymon, whose deep roster of fighters regularly appeared on Golden Boy cards but all of whom were not under contract to GBP. Schaefer’s resignation was quickly followed by an announcementfromLeonardEllerbee, chief executive of Mayweather Promotions, thatMayweatherand, most likely, Haymon’sotherA-listfighters were also severing relations with GBP. That leaves De La Hoya’s depleted stable with a new lead pony, Alvarez(43-1-1, 31 KOs),who takes onErislandyLara (19-1-2, 12 KOs) on July 12 at the MGM Grand.
    ?Although it is widely presumed that Schaefer, a Swiss-born banker who had no background in boxing until hebecame De La Hoya’s business manager and then GBP’s CEO, will now partnerupwithMayweather,HaymonandEllerbee, there are legal issues that must be ironed out.For one thing, Schaefer – who signed a contract extension with GBP in April 2012 that Hopkins said “runs until, I think, 2017 or 2018” – remains a shareholder in the company, which could make it difficult for him to joinMayweatherPromotionsor some other promotional entityuntil the expiration of that arrangement. In a prepared statement, Schaeferindicatedthat he will “look forward to the next opportunity,” and that he hopes that opportunity is in boxing, but healsonoted that healso is “proud to remain a shareholder, so I have a strong interest in the continued success of the company.”
    ?For his part,Ellerbeesaid, “Richard will have a tremendous impact on whatever he decides to do and wherever he goes. We always welcome smart leaders, but I don’t know what his future is.”
    ?Hopkins has spent his share of time in courtrooms, having engaged in bitter andultimately litigateddisputeswith several of his past promoters, managers, trainers and advisers, including Butch Lewis, Don King, Bouie Fisher and LouDiBella. He has an idea of where all this is headed.
    ?“You know it’s funny,” he said. “When I joined Golden Boy, people were actually betting that somehow I would find a way to screw it up.But I’m still here.”
    ?Yeah,but for how long?At 49, Hopkins (55-6-2, 32 KOs), the IBF and WBA light heavyweight champion, is looking forward to another unification matchup, with WBC 175-pound titlist Adonis Stevenson (24-1, 20 KOs). Whether that bout, if it comes off, is under the Golden Boy bannerhas yet tobe determined.
    ?“I’m not under contract to Golden Boy,” stressedHopkins, who added that he has spoken recently to both De La Hoya and Schaefer. “No one has asked me to come here or to stay there. I got my own team, a separate team. When all is said and done, I’m going to evaluateeverything and decideto do what’s best for Bernard Hopkins. I’m going to try to be fair to everybody, but I got to look out for me first.It’s crucial for me to make the right move, whether it’swith Richard or with Oscar. I worked too hard to get here to do anything else.
    ?“No matter what, though, what’s going on now between them won’t affect me from getting in the ring and winning anothertitle.I want tocontinue tounify the light heavyweight division, and with two titles I’m in better position to do that now, regardless of the shakeup. I could even promote my next fight myself. It won’t be an emotional decision. I’m going to align myself with the best, with the smartest, and with whoever can do the most for me at thisstage ofmy career.”
    ?Hopkins was asked if the timing of Schaefer’sresignation could be interpreted as an attempt tosomehow diminishDe La Hoya’s induction into the International Boxing Hall of Fame on Sunday. He said he didn’t think so, although Schaeferwill not be in Canastota, N.Y., for the ceremony, which also would seem to say a lot.
    ?“That’s one way to look at it,” he said ofthe perception some have thatSchaefer is intentionally trying to detract from De La Hoya’s Hall of Fame moment. “It’s the easy way to look at it. But let’s keep it real. The last 30 or 40 days, and maybe longer, this thing has been massaged every which way. Is anybody surprised that this thing with Richard happened?
    ?“But I don’t think too much should be read into the timing. Fights need to be negotiated, deals need to get done, whether it’s Hall of Fame weekend or not.Look, we all have to do what we think is best. I think Richard got to the point where he just couldn’t wait another week to do what he did. Heprobably felt hecouldn’t wait another day.”
    Hopkins also said the Showtime/HBO, Golden Boy/Top Rank “Cold War” was “foolish from thebeginning.A lot of fans got hurt, and are still getting hurt to this day. They’re missing out on a lot of big fights. But it is what it is.”
    There was one more potential surprise offered byHopkins, who professed admiration forHaymon, who could become part of whateverremains ofhistwilightas an active fighter.That statement further suggests that boxing’s ageless wonder could soon be parting ways with Golden Boy.
    “I have great respect for him, and he has great respect for me, going back to the day when he came into boxing with one fighter, my friend, Vernon Forrest, `The Viper,’” Hopkins said ofHaymon, the Boxing Writers Association of America’s 2013 Manager of the Year. “I was on the other side from him when Al was representingJermainTaylor.
    “I don’t have a contract with AlHaymon, but I wouldn’t mind having one because he knows the business and he knows how to make the moves to get you where you need to be.”
    ?
    ?

Re: Bernard Hopkins Weighs In on Golden Boy Situation

Pretty easy to see where Hopkins is going with this. Remember Oscar reached out to Hopkins and included him as part owner of the company. Oscar also brought Swiss cheese banker into the sport.Just saying.

“I’m not under contract to Golden Boy,” stressed Hopkins,. Translated = he will ditch GBP as soon as the offer comes up .

“I don’t have a contract with Al Haymon, but I wouldn't mind having one because he knows the business and he knows how to make the moves to get you where you need to be.” Translated = Al you already set up Adonis for me so give me the contract Al!

Boxing is tough inside and outside the ring.

Oscar should have become an apprentice to Schaefer instead of letting Schaefer run the show while he was content to make embarrassing headlines.

Schaefer's wife is Mexican and Schaefer speaks Spanish fluently at one point early in his career I almost thought he was Mexican...... He set up the GB Latino boxing network in Mexico which greatly bolstered Gb's revenue.... Oscar should have found a way to be a more integral part of that process.

The only thing Golden at Goldenboy was Richard Schaefer.... the man with the midas touch....or you can call him Gold Finger. Schaefer restructured the entire business while Oscar was on one hiatus after another.

The Boxer couldn't keep up with the Banker. They say the legs are the first to go.

Bhop has openly called out to Al after his fights on live television....like a troubled soul calling out to the heavens for a savior on several occassions...(although most notably after the Travoris Cloud fight).

Its understandable Bhop wants to be on the winning team..... Nothing personal just business.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post
    Oscar should have become an apprentice to Schaefer instead of letting Schaefer run the show while he was content to make embarrassing headlines.

Schaefer's wife is Mexican and Schaefer speaks Spanish fluently at one point early in his career I almost thought he was Mexican...... He set up the GB Latino boxing network in Mexico which greatly bolstered Gb's revenue.... Oscar should have found a way to be a more integral part of that process.

The only thing Golden at Goldenboy was Richard Schaefer.... the man with the midas touch....or you can call him Gold Finger. Schaefer restructured the entire business while Oscar was on one hiatus after another.

The Boxer couldn't keep up with the Banker. They say the legs are the first to go.

Bhop has openly called out to Al after his fights on live television....like a troubled soul calling out to the heavens for a savior on several occassions...(although most notably after the Travoris Cloud fight).

Its understandable Bhop wants to be on the winning team..... Nothing personal just business.
    Bingo, Brownsugar. And for whatever it is worth, he already works with Al Haymon. People are speaking under inhibitions of legal direction so don't put too much weight into what certain people are saying publicly...

With the Bobfather controlling the strings in a partnership between him and Oscar, I think they could seriously rival anything that comes out of this situation. Arum is doing serious business and with Golden Boy back in the picture (with all the headlines and publicity) they could get bigger pretty fast. We might enter a period where we get better and better cards as all the players are really starting to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsugar View Post

If gold finger was so golden at GBP why didn't he sign any of the fighters to multi-fight contracts with GBP?

Oscar will be ok. Boxers get caught doing embarrassing things sometimes. Oscar got blackmailed by some strippers. He did some coke got drunk and played dress up. It's silly but it isn't the worse thing. It wasn't a guy he was caught with. He wasn't beating his wife or kids. He wasn't running a prostitution ring of underage girls. He didn't rape anyone. Boxing is full of second chances and Oscar deserves one.
    Oscar hired RS ,he can hire someone else.
    The Cold War is coming to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    If gold finger was so golden at GBP why didn't he sign any of the fighters to multi-fight contracts with GBP?

Oscar will be ok. Boxers get caught doing embarrassing things sometimes. Oscar got blackmailed by some strippers. He did some coke got drunk and played dress up. It's silly but it isn't the worse thing. It wasn't a guy he was caught with. He wasn't beating his wife or kids. He wasn't running a prostitution ring of underage girls. He didn't rape anyone. Boxing is full of second chances and Oscar deserves one.
    I sure hope it is, we've had to wait for many years but it's better late than never.

Pretty easy to see where Hopkins is going with this. Remember Oscar reached out to Hopkins and included him as part owner of the company. Oscar also brought Swiss cheese banker into the sport.Just saying.

“I’m not under contract to Golden Boy,” stressed Hopkins,. Translated = he will ditch GBP as soon as the offer comes up .

“I don’t have a contract with Al Haymon, but I wouldn't mind having one because he knows the business and he knows how to make the moves to get you where you need to be.” Translated = Al you already set up Adonis for me so give me the contract Al!

Boxing is tough inside and outside the ring.
    Hopkins has been loyal to Schaefer for quite some time.

I attended the Hopkins-Murat fight in Atlantic City last October. At the weigh in, Hopkins had a birthday ceremony for Schaefer (it was Schaefer's burthday) where he presented him with a cake and all sorts of praise.

As tensions increased at Golden Boy, Hopkins open praise for Schaefer kept going.

Hopkins won't be fighting under the Golden Boy banner again. But he will be fighting Stevenson later this year in an Al Haymon brokered deal. You can go to the bank on that.

Oscar is a Winner!!, I see Ellerbee, and Now Hopkins jumping off the Golden Boy Band Wagon, I can say they are envy of Oscar, IMO. Oscar is gonna be here for a while. What is Mayweather going to do, not fighting under Golden Boy or Top Rank, it will be interesting to see how he does under his own Banner, that is the way it's looking Now.

Oscar is my guy too Deep... Just stating the facts ....Richard was instrumental in building GB up to its current prominence almost single handedly...... And recently he facillitated many of the Hispanic fighters to sign with Al.
    If Oscar can keep the ship afloat there doesn't have be any losers in this scenario. Time will tell.

What happened to GB is what frequently happens to any corporation who hires a guy who can do the job better than the any of the current executives and majority shareholders are able to.

In the business world the only constant is ........"Survival of the Fittest".

The players closer to the bottom of the food chain are more vulnerable than the ones on top.
    Hopefully Oscar can return to the Top.