English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Cotto vs. Margarito II 2011

Advanced Users BoxingChannel.tv's Avatar

Cotto vs. Margarito II 2011

Re: Cotto vs. Margarito II 2011

And Justice for all. A great fight with a super beating. Margocheato earned that paycheck.

One of the most interesting things I found from this bout is that Cotto won the fight almost entirely backing up. He would fire often off his back foot while retreating and was doing more than enough to keep Margarito off of him by doing that. I cannot recall many fights that I have seen where that happened.

Although I think Cotto would have won by a decent margin by decision if the ring doctor did not stop it, he owes Manny a steak dinner for this victory. Cotto wasn't dropping bombs on that eye and it still shut.

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Doctor View Post
    One of the most interesting things I found from this bout is that Cotto won the fight almost entirely backing up. He would fire often off his back foot while retreating and was doing more than enough to keep Margarito off of him by doing that. I cannot recall many fights that I have seen where that happened.

Although I think Cotto would have won by a decent margin by decision if the ring doctor did not stop it, he owes Manny a steak dinner for this victory. Cotto wasn't dropping bombs on that eye and it still shut.
    True, he really out boxed Margarito in this fight.

Margarito was always slow but looked in this fight like he got old in the ring. I had never seem him this slow before. The beating he took from Manny not only damaged the eye but took a lot out of him as a fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    True, he really out boxed Margarito in this fight.

Margarito was always slow but looked in this fight like he got old in the ring. I had never seem him this slow before. The beating he took from Manny not only damaged the eye but took a lot out of him as a fighter.
    I agree, this fight put the final nail in the coffin of Margo. The last 2+ years of Margarito's career saw three brutal fights with Pac, Shane, and Cotto. I cannot remember anyone who took that many torturous beatings so quickly after making it to the pinnacle of their career.

Weirdly enough, if Sergio fights Cotto like Cotto fought Margarito in the video, he will win on points and probably pretty easily.
    Last edited by The Good Doctor; 06-04-2014 at 03:30 PM.