English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Predictions

Weekend Predictions

This is an absolutely loaded boxing weekend so I figured its a good time to get a predictions thread going. Here is the list of significant fights from the weekend...I may have left some out but think I got the majority.

Froch-Groves II
    DeGale-Gonzlaez
    Donaire-Vetyeka
    Walters-Darchinyan
    Gradovich-Miskirtchian
    Sturm-Soliman II

Froch-Groves II - I firmly believe Froch is much better prepared mentally this time around for Groves and will have a much better game plan. I think he is going to knock Groves out sooner than the first time without the controversy. I have wavered on the round but will go with Froch KO 6 for the record.

DeGale-Gonzalez - This would be one of those bouts that would be best suited for a neutral site. I don't think Gonzalez can win a decision in front of 80,000 people at Wembley. It will be a good scrap and DeGale will get the nod.

Donaire-Vetyeka - Vetyeka's style suits Doniare well and is why Top Rank went after him as an opponent. Vetyeka holds his hands low and has a tendency to pull straight back exposing his chin. I think Donaire finds a way to land the left hook and scores a sensational KO in the 4th.

Walters-Darchinyan - We don't know much about Walters. We also don't know exactly how much Darchinyan has left in the tank and when he will get old in the ring. This may be the toughest fight to call and most competitive fight of the weekend. My gut say Darchinyan still has plenty in the tank and the experience needed to eek out a close decision.

Gradovich-Miskirtchian - Gradovich just can't be in a bad fight. I think he is too relentless and has the much better experience in big fights. He will win a lopsided decision in an entertaining fight.

Sturm-Soliman II - Froch-Groves isn't the only rematch taking place this weekend after a controversial first fight. Soliman decisioned Sturm in their first fight but the result was changed to a no-contest after Soliman tested positive for a banned substance. Sturm is now a beltholder and does not want to lost that belt in front of his home crowd. Sturm by decision.

Re: Weekend Predictions

Some say Groves had his chance, and blew it. I say it was Froch who had his chance. Sure, he got the W, but he didn't convince - he knows it, and it nags him, whereas Groves showed he had the key. He'll still have it come saturday.

While Froch have shown a capacity to adapt, it's adaptation within a limited framework. He won't be an essentially better boxer by saturday, which he would need to be in order to triumph - as it stands, he'll continue to eat leather and be hit with astonishing ease. Groves will be the man who benefits from having shared a ring with the man opposite him. He's younger, he's more inexperienced, but has already shown his character and several times risen to the occasion. More than anything, he's shown he can nail Froch at will.

His challenge will be to pace himself better, to disturb and interrupt not by constant intensity but by change of rhythm and directions, and not go headhunting in search for neither an early nor spectacular knockout - cause I doubt he'll ever get a KO over Froch. Instead, he has a golden opportunity to slay a giant by sticking to his strengths, show patience, use his smarts and avoid the temptations that comes with the roars of a truly huge crowd.

Scenery: This time Froch will be prepared for an early onslaught by Groves. He won't get it. Looking for vengeance, he's the one that will go for an early statement. Groves will move, block, parry, dip and do whatever he has to, but most of all show the judges, the spectators and, ultimately, Froch that it once again will be a hard night. When Groves start to stick fast counters into Frochs face, and Froch once again finds himself unable to retaliate or hit home, his many wars, miles doing roadwork, years in the gym and constant yearning for mrs Froch will take its toll and be his undoing.

Prediction: Groves via SD due to one judge misunderstanding that it's the boxing, not the names, that are to be scored.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    Some say Groves had his chance, and blew it. I say it was Froch who had his chance. Sure, he got the W, but he didn't convince - he knows it, and it nags him, whereas Groves showed he had the key. He'll still have it come saturday.

While Froch have shown a capacity to adapt, it's adaptation within a limited framework. He won't be an essentially better boxer by saturday, which he would need to be in order to triumph - as it stands, he'll continue to eat leather and be hit with astonishing ease. Groves will be the man who benefits from having shared a ring with the man opposite him. He's younger, he's more inexperienced, but has already shown his character and several times risen to the occasion. More than anything, he's shown he can nail Froch at will.

His challenge will be to pace himself better, to disturb and interrupt not by constant intensity but by change of rhythm and directions, and not go headhunting in search for neither an early nor spectacular knockout - cause I doubt he'll ever get a KO over Froch. Instead, he has a golden opportunity to slay a giant by sticking to his strengths, show patience, use his smarts and avoid the temptations that comes with the roars of a truly huge crowd.

Scenery: This time Froch will be prepared for an early onslaught by Groves. He won't get it. Looking for vengeance, he's the one that will go for an early statement. Groves will move, block, parry, dip and do whatever he has to, but most of all show the judges, the spectators and, ultimately, Froch that it once again will be a hard night. When Groves start to stick fast counters into Frochs face, and Froch once again finds himself unable to retaliate or hit home, his many wars, miles doing roadwork, years in the gym and constant yearning for mrs Froch will take its toll and be his undoing.

Prediction: Groves via SD due to one judge misunderstanding that it's the boxing, not the names, that are to be scored.
    Excellently explained Grimm.

If I wasn't so stubborn , I'd change my pick. We'll see how Groves handles the big stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post

If I wasn't already convinced, I would be after reading this post. I have Groves by a UD, hoping for a 10-8 or two in Groves' favour too just to add to the excitement..

And I'll take DeGale over Gonzalez. DeGale is a tricky customer with pinpoint accuracy and a good punch. He's lining himself up to be the first British Gold medalist to win a world title in a long while. In front of 80,000 Gonzalez will need a close to perfect performance to keep judges on side.

No mention of AJ anyone?!
    Last edited by Skibbz; 05-29-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    If I wasn't already convinced, I would be after reading this post. I have Groves by a UD, hoping for a 10-8 or two in Groves' favour too just to add to the excitement..

And I'll take DeGale over Gonzalez. DeGale is a tricky customer with pinpoint accuracy and a good punch. He's lining himself up to be the first British Gold medalist to win a world title in a long while. In front of 80,000 Gonzalez will need a close to perfect performance to keep judges on side.

No mention of AJ anyone?!
    I'm rolling and strolling with Froch to beat the brakes off Groves.

Groves is so cocksure that he has drained himself of whup-arse fight. Froch is going to put him out like a light. Groves will ask who turn off the switch. Groves will have an easy go of it to me nobody and his cross-eyed nephew can pitch. Froch is going to take the cocksure Groves deep into dat squared jungle ditch. And finding his way back, Groves has absolutely no hitch. Giggling at him, will be Froch's bad bytch.

That dame has it going ON! And she is always there for her man. His biggest fan. She will be loud-thundering metaphorically going upside Groves's cranium with a trash can. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post

Groves is so cocksure that he has drained himself of whup-arse fight. Froch is going to put him out like a light. Groves will ask who turn off the switch. Groves will have an easy go of it to me nobody and his cross-eyed nephew can pitch. Froch is going to take the cocksure Groves deep into dat squared jungle ditch. And finding his way back, Groves has absolutely no hitch. Giggling at him, will be Froch's bad bytch.

That dame has it going ON! And she is always there for her man. His biggest fan. She will be loud-thundering metaphorically going upside Groves's cranium with a trash can. Holla!
    Hahaha RG she certainly is, but it'll be in her arms he'll be crying when he's contemplating his retirement. Froch's too emotional, we all know and respect the heart and chin but the plan is there to beat him, and Groves will employ it with great effect. Froch's mentally a very tough fighter, trying to dissuade him to continue is almost impossible but Groves isn't trying to send him to oblivion. He just has to beat him for 12 3-minute rounds and he's got those belts and glory.. Hope I didn't make it sound too simple!

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Hahaha RG she certainly is, but it'll be in her arms he'll be crying when he's contemplating his retirement. Froch's too emotional, we all know and respect the heart and chin but the plan is there to beat him, and Groves will employ it with great effect. Froch's mentally a very tough fighter, trying to dissuade him to continue is almost impossible but Groves isn't trying to send him to oblivion. He just has to beat him for 12 3-minute rounds and he's got those belts and glory.. Hope I didn't make it sound too simple!
    She is insanely annoying.

If I were Groves, hearing her loud mouthed nonstop would be enough for me to try and knock Froch's head off of his shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post

Froch's feet are slower than Moses

Wow Amayseng is on a roll.

Must be the summer weather.

If Froch is anything like Moses, maybe he can perform a miracle and part the hairs on Double G's chin....lol

I know its just a TV-show, but watch this and tell me Groves isn't in Frochs head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNxhpXB7bhU