English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It looks like I won't be in the tournament

It looks like I won't be in the tournament

I just had my physical to renew my boxing passbook and the Dr failed me. High blood pressure is the culprit. I was 120/80 last year. I was over 150-95 today. I feel in peak form,so I am trying to figure out why it is so high. I used creatine monohydrate for the past 6 weeks or so ,so maybe that did something to my kidneys. I thought my diet was fine but maybe high sodium? Did I drop too much weight? I am going to stop with the creatine and the hard workouts for the rest of the week and just do cardio, watch my salt and try it again next week but the Dr says if its over 145/80 no way will I box and I have to have some stress test etc. If I miss this bout I will get another down the road but I have to get my blood pressure under control. I would never think it was so high. This is a downer today but I will make my adjustments and go from there. Anyone have high blood pressure?

Re: It looks like I won't be in the tournament

Man that sucks

I just had a medical test a couple of weeks ago for something that's dominated my life ambitions for as long as I can remember, so I'm know the feeling of putting your hopes into your body's well being. Thankfully I got through with flying colours. I would have been devastated if they'd failed me on something...

With regards to high blood pressure- it's something that a close family member of mine has suffered from for some time, so I'm fairly familiar with things to avoid. Salt is certainly a prime culprit- try to cut it out of your diet all together. Stick to a 'cave man diet' to make sure you don't eat any foods with added salt.
    While I've never tried creatine myself, I must say I've heard some pretty negative things about it... I read an ordinary dose of creatine is the equivalent to putting 1-2 lbs of red meat through your kidneys every day. I'm no doctor, but I'm sure it can't be having too much of a positive effect on your system over an extended period.

Good luck with passing next time around, I really hope you can sort it out in time to compete!

Cue Radam for some herbal remedies...

Chin up D2 I'm sure you'll beat the Docs test next week. Some nice tips by thegreyman, I've never tried Creatine either because I've been told it does horrendous things to your insides, and your muscles don't grow as well as they could. A few guys I know take loads of powders and supplements, they look in great shape but i'm not sure their muscles would be able to keep up in a boxing gym.

As Greyman said... I'm sure Radam has the thing to fix you up.. No guarantee it'll taste great though! Hahaha..

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    I just had my physical to renew my boxing passbook and the Dr failed me. High blood pressure is the culprit. I was 120/80 last year. I was over 150-95 today. I feel in peak form,so I am trying to figure out why it is so high. I used creatine monohydrate for the past 6 weeks or so ,so maybe that did something to my kidneys. I thought my diet was fine but maybe high sodium? Did I drop too much weight? I am going to stop with the creatine and the hard workouts for the rest of the week and just do cardio, watch my salt and try it again next week but the Dr says if its over 145/80 no way will I box and I have to have some stress test etc. If I miss this bout I will get another down the road but I have to get my blood pressure under control. I would never think it was so high. This is a downer today but I will make my adjustments and go from there. Anyone have high blood pressure?
    Deep, I know absolutely nothing about medical stuff but I will share this: My friend's husband just got hospitalized for doing creatine because his blood pressure was extremely high due to just taking three scoops when he should've taken one.

It can boost it like crazy. Another time, about 8-9 years ago when I was lifting weights a lot, I was doing lots of creatine because I'm an ectomorph and I was/am scared of juice. Doc took a blood test and he said my levels and blood pressure or what have you were spiked.

So that could very well be it.

Maybe it's because you've been putting your body through the wringer during this process, which gets harder when you're no longer a spring chicken, as they say.

See what happens off the creatine. That should probably do the trick. Keep positive vibes and optimism high. If you want it it will happen. Trust me! Best wishes and keep us posted

BP cab elevate from something simple as being rushed, stressed or mad, sad or worried.

I am sure you will be fine next week.

Try doing a calming and light yoga session of light stretching and relaxation before your next visit.

Dont schedule it early to where you feel you are rushing or stressed to get there in time.

maybe even have the wife give you a nice massage in the waiting room.

Good luck D2!

Sad to hear, D2.

Yeah, I've had high blood pressure. A year and a half ago I was in good shape, went to the dr, and was basically told that my pressure would have to go down or my long term health was at danger. I was shocked.

Just some months later I was back, and the pressure was back to normal. The only reason I see for the disparity is as simple as likely: I had taken a quick, pretty long walk just before the first test. Well, I'd made two more adjustment: I had cut down a bit on my coffee drinking, and had cut down a bit on my work load.

I've also done creatin - many years ago - and remember that after heavy using for a length of time, I wasn't feeling heavy anymore - just ill. Nowadays I only eat good, natural food of high quality, and feel stronger and fitter than during those years when I fed my body with both legal and illegal chemicals.

Good luck to you.

Man deep, I was waiting to hear the updates of you whooping tail. Don't worry though man, this is where your success story begins, not ends.

High blood pressure runs in my family; Mom dukes, my uncle and my pops have it so I am a "blood pressureologist" so to speak. As for the blood pressure being raised, I would bet it is the creatine and here is why:

Creatine in fact does not "build" muscle in the truest since of the word. Creatine gives you size and increased muscle definition through water retention. Water retention causes your urine to be more concentrated. Concentrated urine is not absorbed through the kidneys nearly as fast and therefore more water ends up in your blood stream. More fluid in your blood stream is a quick culprit for raised blood pressure. As for remedies, I won't say cut out the creatine but go to maybe half the dosage. Secondly, sweat like your life depended on it up as long as it does not interfere with your weigh ins.

You may want to also consider a beef protein as a supplement rather than pure creatine. Beef proteins have a touch of creatine in them but offer the purest proteins for muscle building and retention. There is one called Carnivor that I like that has only 2% of the recommended daily sodium allowance, has no carbs, and no cholesterol.

I would also say holla at Radam. That dude has mentioned some home remedies that have worked for me before.

Advanced Users

[QUOTE=The Shadow;53693]Deep, I know absolutely nothing about medical stuff but I will share this: My friend's husband just got hospitalized for doing creatine because his blood pressure was extremely high due to just taking three scoops when he should've taken one.

It can boost it like crazy. Another time, about 8-9 years ago when I was lifting weights a lot, I was doing lots of creatine because I'm an ectomorph and I was/am scared of juice. Doc took a blood test and he said my levels and blood pressure or what have you were spiked.

So that could very well be it.

Maybe it's because you've been putting your body through the wringer during this process, which gets harder when you're no longer a spring chicken, as they say.

See what happens off the creatine. That should probably do the trick. Keep positive vibes and optimism high. If you want it it will happen. Trust me! Best wishes and keep us posted[/QUOT
    Um huh? @The Shadow & D2, don't believe the hype. First, we have natural creatine in us. So creatine is not the culprit. No way, no how. And any creature with teeth is meant to eat meat -- even the red -- but not so much. And the meat should be from grass-fed and/or worm-eating animals.

I'm coming at you hard, and the culprit[$]. First, and far most, it is process foods. Especially that jive with "HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP in it. And, of course, all that fast food dipped in process sugar, especially the white sugar. Adding that syet to anything is like adding gas to fire. IT'S GONNA BLOW! And away, you will GO, GO!

If anything, you are turning HFCS into a monster by feeding it creatine. Bad stuff in us like to be fed good, tasty stuff, as we do. Creatine makes junk foods cause chaos in our body.

And salt is doing nothing but good to you. Don't believe the hyped-up double talk.[The earth is 90 percent salt. None salted water on the planet earth is something like five percent. Man, we are made from the earth. Why in da fudge is salt going to be our arch enemy? It ain't. But that is what they want you to think. So they can blindside you with poison-arse sugar and control your brain and life span. Every single thing in existence has salt in it, but not everything has sugar in it. And you don't suppose to add sugar, or you will the item/creation adverse.]

$ince you are a workout buff, you need that extra salt to make you SWEAT to cool down the body and brain. [The less salt you have in your salty brain, the less intelligence you have. The neurons don't be roaring up and getting down with sugar. Beside, if processed sugar rottens your teeth, just imagine what it does to your neurons.]

Like coolant for a motor vehicle, salt is a coolant for your brain and body. Another bytch-time culprit that is getting your blood pressure up is that man-made syet of SODIUM BENZOATE and SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE. Wow, wow, WEE! Any long-name jive like that, you ought to punch the person that gave it to you. SODIUM is a trick word, but not normally pure, natural salt. Get rid of the various types of man-made sodium. Keep the sea salt.

You need to run those converted killing agents -- man-made sodium and processed sugar out of your liver, not your kidneys. The kidneys kick double fudge outta everything. They are flushers. And kick-arse gushers. But the liver starts farting and fattening up and rushing a shield around everything that is invading your body, thus messing up and slowing down the super zoom flow of blood through your arteries. [Blood suppose to be zooming through your whole body a mininum of 30,000 times a minute. Super athletes' blood will be rolling five or six times that.]

Since you don't get enough sunlight and moonlight, you need to holla at some liquid vitamin D3 5000IU. Get you some cardamon seeds power and dill seed power, eat a hand full of almonds and Korean pine nuts a day for a week, holla at a couple of bananas a day for a week, some blood oranges, some kale, yams, dark cholocate and a hot-arse sauna. And that high-blood pressure bytches out and stays out.

You also really need to get some good advice from never having high-blood pressure from a naturopathic doctor. Medical doctors are into man-made medicine, so they are going to take you there because the pharmaceutical company are paying a lot of them BIG bucks to medicate you for studies.

I see it all the time, my cousins who are medical doctors give their patients harmful stuff, but let proper foods be the medicine for the family. Holla!

Deep...I don't know how much creatine you are using or how often, but I know enough to scream at you...GET OFF IT! I can't tell you how many guys I know who have had problems, all traceable back to taking too much, too often. Also, do you drink plenty of water? When taking creatine, you just about have to walk around with a gallon jug all day, every day.

I can just about guarantee your B/P will return to normal when you either A) Give your remaining creatine to someone in the gym or B) Feed it to the toilet!

Why are you taking it, anyway? You can get in kickass shape without it.

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the additives. Your body will be a lot happier that you did!

-Randy G.
    Last edited by The Commish; 05-28-2014 at 10:15 AM.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    Deep...I don't know how much creatine you are using or how often, but I know enough to scream at you...GET OFF IT! I can't tell you how many guys I know who have had problems, all traceable back to taking too much, too often. Also, do you drink plenty of water? When taking creatine, you just about have to walk around with a gallon jug all day, every day.

I can just about guarantee your B/P will return to normal when you either A) Give your remaining creatine to someone in the gym or B) Feed it to the toilet!

What are yopu taking it, anyway? You can get in kickass shape without it.

Do yourself a favor and get rid of the additives. Your body will be a lot happier that you did!

-Randy G.
    Excellent advice! "Get rid of the additives." All whole foods, spices, herbs, seeds and nuts are the key. Your naturally body make all you need with the right tweaking of the all REAL. Not the damaging jive that has mass appeal. And then get you so tore up that you may not be able to heal. Holla!