English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Froch Groves II- The Gloves are Off

Hybrid View

Froch Groves II- The Gloves are Off

It's fight week and the British media are doing a great (if somewhat ripped off in this instance) job of selling the fight and covering the build up. Have a look at this for a Kellermanesque 'Face Off' between Carl Froch and George Groves, with respected British former world champion Johnny Nelson stoking the fires of hatred between the two.

Re: Froch Groves II- The Gloves are Off

Great video thanks for posting it Greyman, don't sing all the praises for british media on your own will you...

So much needle in this fight. What was the hand shake business at the end though... Hope you're enjoying your bank holiday.
    Last edited by Skibbz; 05-26-2014 at 09:22 AM.

GREAT VIDEO!!!!!!

Oh my good, so many subtle psychological things going on here I can't even begin to describe them...this would be an AWESOME topic for like three lectures.

I suspected before watching this that George Groves was a master of mind games. After watching this, he's even better than I thout. So many different dimensions, levels and twists to this whole thing that Groves does.

And his ability to read Froch is on pretty on point. Froch's calmness is practiced but it is not natural. He does not like this lad.

Based on comments he's made since before the first fight up until now, I can tell Groves does it deliberately, too. I don't think he's particularly smarter than Froch but he has this ability to control the tempo of the discussion in a way that keeps him "ahead" of Froch.

One thing Andre Ward caught on to as well is that Froch likes to be in control and gets uncomfortable when he is not. Whenever Froch tried to assert himself, whether consciously or unconsciously, Groves would ignore him or dismiss him.

Even when Froch would have a valid point! And Froch had opportunities to unsettle Groves but just didn't have the ability to do so. Oh my gosh, there's so much going on there...

Froch clearly has the sports psychologist to keep Groves' games from getting to him.

24:02 told me everything I need to know.

Notice Froch tries to delay the handshake, then looks down to wipe off his hand on his pants for a few solid seconds. As we all have experienced, when nervous or tense, palms get sweaty.

Groves feels in command to the point where he pulls Froch to him, which almost causes Froch to lose his cool. Oh my goodness, this is epic stuff...

Now, whether it leads to victory one way or another, I don't know. But I do know this: it will have an impact on this fight. Groves' goal is to get Froch to come out heated. I don't think he will.

If Groves squares off with Andre Ward, Ward may have met his equal in that department. Because he is incredibly well-schooled in mental warfare as well; he has the guru Godfather Virgil Hunter whispering Art of War epithets in his ear day and night. Lol.

And despite Groves' incredibly polished mind warfare, I did detect one thing: he has a window of fear to creep in. Right when they asked each guy for their predictions, they were talking in a sporting sense.

Instead of answering the question, framed in sporting sense, Froch could have said "I'll dislocate your face" or "I will seek to injure you. Permanently damage you..."

Groves feels superior in a sporting and skil sense. But I would like to see how Groves reacts to the most prime of human instancts: a physical threat.

Blah blah aside, what an awesome video! I'm going to be looking for the mind games well into the fight. I predict they will bother Froch but Froch will ultimately pull away and win.

Can't wait for this one!

I actually went and looked up another video to study their interaction further because I was so fascinated by it. Sre enough, Groves was up to the same mind f*cking tricks of his.

Turns out Sky put together a piece about the mental warfare and what Groves does. They even went and interviewed a mental performance coach to analyze the interaction.

Check it out, scroll to around 35:00 : http://youtu.be/YkBPOJilpWU

Advanced Users

Froch has already won the first four rounds. He has Groves all messed up and stressed out.

Groves is really thinking Froch is off and has doubts in himself because Froch is using a sport psychologist. A great athlete/fighter get whatever gimmick and/or remedy that he believes will work for him.

I'm reminded of the late, near great Kenny Norton hiring of Dr. Dean, the hypnotist. And GOAT Ali's numerologist beliefs of having certain people attending his matches to sit in certain seats. Wow! And how can anybody forget the "one I mixed" bottle tricking of Panama Lewis; and the "little black bottle" trick of Dick Saddler with Leon "Deon" Spinks.

And what about this generation of idiots on dat syet. The fallen Angel "Memo" Heredia is doing wonders with metamorphosing Marquez into Hulkquez. And I know what's up and what time it is. You cannot catch what you don't know that you are looking for.

Heredia is apparently feeding Maequez a blast from the past type of roids-and-PEDs syet. Some real "Tales from the crypt" ____ _____ ______ ! And nowadays scribes don't want to put them out there by writing about it.

In the old TSS Universe B-sug and I got into a discussion about these types of roids that he didn't know U.S. Navy wrestlers were abusing and got kicked out of the Navy for it. As a kid, I was in the loop of that poop because of my medicine-practicing relatives who were/are in the U.S. Armed Forces and world committees for athletes. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Radam G View Post
    Froch has already won the first four rounds. He has Groves all messed up and stressed out.

Groves is really thinking Froch is off and has doubts in himself because Froch is using a sport psychologist. A great athlete/fighter get whatever gimmick and/or remedy that he believes will work for him.

I'm reminded of the late, near great Kenny Norton hiring of Dr. Dean, the hypnotist. And GOAT Ali's numerologist beliefs of having certain people attending his matches to sit in certain seats. Wow! And how can anybody forget the "one I mixed" bottle tricking of Panama Lewis; and the "little black bottle" trick of Dick Saddler with Leon "Deon" Spinks.

And what about this generation of idiots on dat syet. The fallen Angel "Memo" Heredia is doing wonders with metamorphosing Marquez into Hulkquez. And I know what's up and what time it is. You cannot catch what you don't know that you are looking for.

Heredia is apparently feeding Maequez a blast from the past type of roids-and-PEDs syet. Some real "Tales from the crypt" ____ _____ ______ ! And nowadays scribes don't want to put them out there by writing about it.

In the old TSS Universe B-sug and I got into a discussion about these types of roids that he didn't know U.S. Navy wrestlers were abusing and got kicked out of the Navy for it. As a kid, I was in the loop of that poop because of my medicine-practicing relatives who were/are in the U.S. Armed Forces and world committees for athletes. Holla!
    I hear that Radam. Every fighter has their own superstitions and mental preparations- Groves may be obsessing about details here, and I can't help but agree that it seems to be distracting him from doing the job.

I can't call what bearing this'll have on the fight as yet though...

@The Shaddow

Glad you enjoyed it, it's one of the most entertaining pre-fight interviews I've seen for some time.

Who do you think has the upper hand mentally? Do you think these interviews changed the dynamic significantly, and do you think it'll have a major bearing on the fight?

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    @The Shaddow

Glad you enjoyed it, it's one of the most entertaining pre-fight interviews I've seen for some time.

Who do you think has the upper hand mentally? Do you think these interviews changed the dynamic significantly, and do you think it'll have a major bearing on the fight?
    Super entertaining! I'm so excited about this fight, I'm actually tempted to head to London! I can catch a direct flight for $220 out of Miami!

Anyway, I think George is in command, for sure. George is a master of these mind games. But how much has the sports psychologist helped The Cobra? We don't know.

I don't think the stoppage was as controversial as George claims; I saw Froch coming on strongly in rounds 7, 8 and finally in the 9th.

I remember in school they talked about persuasion theory; if there was five levels of a belief system (for instance 1 being strongly against and 5 strongly in favor and so forth), moving someone from 1 to 2 in terms of beliefs is a success.

I say this because shortly after the fit, Froch seemed -- and I could be wrong -- absolutely certain that the stoppage was fair and that the ref actually saved Groves from further punishment, which is a logic I can follow.

But Groves now has actually convinced Froch, or so Froch now says, that it was pre-mature and controversial. I find that interesting.

And he's going to keep it going up until fight night. Either way, I can see it winning George the fight but I can also see it backfiring like crazy.

This is going to be EPIC!

Loving the enthusiasm Shadow. I think Groves has the upper hand mentally. Froch is putting on a good front but it won't last. He's no fool and he knows he was being beaten before the stoppage. It'll make him come out with even greater fight than he did last time... Let's face it Froch doesn't do well boxing, it's not his forte. Where Froch excels is when he uses his chin of iron and throwback championship heart to will his way to victory. At least that's what he will be doing against Groves in my opinion..

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Loving the enthusiasm Shadow. I think Groves has the upper hand mentally. Froch is putting on a good front but it won't last. He's no fool and he knows he was being beaten before the stoppage. It'll make him come out with even greater fight than he did last time... Let's face it Froch doesn't do well boxing, it's not his forte. Where Froch excels is when he uses his chin of iron and throwback championship heart to will his way to victory. At least that's what he will be doing against Groves in my opinion..
    Not his forte?! I think that's a little strong...

Underestimate the Cobra and get bitten. The man has more than heart and chin. He has venom in those punches, and a V8 turbocharged engine to keep them coming right through 12. Groves better be ready to face the storm.