English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Here are some of the things I find fascinating about boxing.

Administrator

Here are some of the things I find fascinating about boxing.

You are supposed to be fighting a guy the same weight as you. In the same ring. For a period of time that's going to last 180 seconds before you get your first break for instruction. After 60 seconds, you're back to work.

As simple as that sounds, let's look closer.

On the surface, you weigh the same. Yet, how you both got to that point could be equivalent to the distance between earth and galaxy MACS0645-JD. (13.3 billion light-years away. That's with a 'b' and that's light-years). You on a special Krispy Kreme donut diet, him with Alex Ariza in his camp. Closest you came to camp was for that one week when you were a ten year old Boy Scout. Bell rings. You're surprised by how soft the ring padding is. Your opponent is not, however. Hmmm?

You find your way to the end of the round and while you suffered no real damage your legs feel like lead. The other guy? Looks real fresh. Your corner? He's standing in front of you throwing punches, (this passes for instruction) giving you the same advice he gave you before the fight. In fact it's the same advice every time you come back to the corner be it a fight or sparring regardless if the opponent is a southpaw or orthodox, short or tall, murderous puncher or cream puff. Right after giving you water the moment you sit down, he goes into the same recital you've memorized because you once thought it must be important but now know that it's better to block it out of your mind in order to enjoy the last few private moments before the mayhem begins anew. And with 'be first' and 'hit and don't get hit' ringing in your ears, you realize you're truly alone while your opponent has a Freddie or a Teddy taking much better care of him. And by round six you realize you're fighting an army.

Just sayin'.

Advanced Users

Re: Here are some of the things I find fascinating about boxing.

Or when they are against Da Manny, they are fighting a nation and crack soldiers from 70 other countries. Tellin' it like it is. Holla!

The loneliness is certainly something I love about boxing too. In the modern world, where we are so cotton wrapped from danger and violence, where help is most always at hand for whatever ailment it is that you have, it's a real shock to be in a ring with a guy who is doing his best to batter you into unconsciousness, and the only one to stop him is yourself. I love being forced to rely on myself so entirely; for those few minutes you can really show what you're made of.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by thegreyman View Post
    The loneliness is certainly something I love about boxing too. In the modern world, where we are so cotton wrapped from danger and violence, where help is most always at hand for whatever ailment it is that you have, it's a real shock to be in a ring with a guy who is doing his best to batter you into unconsciousness, and the only one to stop him is yourself. I love being forced to rely on myself so entirely; for those few minutes you can really show what you're made of.
    Nice! Holla!

Agreed,,...... If you're the kind of person who enjoys one on one competition (chess, checkers, backgammon, wrestling, and boxing) like I do...maybe because I'm more of an introvert. The scenario feels perfectly normal. To me its the way things oughta be.

You've done your fitness training ... honed your technique....and believe in your preparation... Now all you have to do is persuade the opponent you're the better man.

If he can't be persuaded then you are more than willing to force him to believe.

If He won't let you force him... Then you must resolve within yourself that its your responsibility and obligation to break him.

Because broken vessels can be remade to conform to the truth.
    And everytime I ever stepped out onto the ring I believed I was the truth.

I never had a decent corner when I boxed.
    I was assigned a guy who didn't have the ability to communicate a single clear thought.

It would have been a joy to have had a decent corner man.
    But it didn't matter to me at the time because I didnt miss what I never had.

I just wanted to get out there and perform.
    Once the adrenalin started pumping there was no going back

Don't ever stop my fight and don't ask if I want to quit.

I never felt alone in the ring because I loved being on the center stage. Landing a good punch and hearing the roar of approval was quite a rewarding experience.

The Sport of Boxing is a very special initiation.
    Many are called but only a few can be called the Chosen.