English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Getting to 49-0 Might Be Tough For Floyd..........And Showtime

Getting to 49-0 Might Be Tough For Floyd..........And Showtime

As we all know, Floyd has a contract with Showtime. Floyd has three fights left on this contract and by all accounts Floyd plans to finish it out. As I was reading the announcement of his September 13th date, it made me think what moves can Floyd make to finish out the contract. First lets look at some really important facts:

Floyd is no longer a spring chicken. He 37 years old, coming off one of the toughest fights of his career, and will 38 be at the first part of next year.

Although still extremely sharp and in remarkable shape, Floyd has deteriorated ever so slightly.

Floyd's fights for Showtime have had good views, but not the great ones Espinoza said he was expecting. Showtime is expecting a better draw for the second half of the contract.

Floyd has expressed no desire to go higher than 154, a class that he technically does not fight in on fight night

With the above in mind, Floyd needs opponents that are not brutal on him and can draw pretty well. Lets look at the pool of available candidates that at least meet some of that criteria:

Danny Garcia, Cotto, Martinez winner, Quilin, Porter, Thurman, Pac, Maidana, Bradley, Brook, Khan, Broner, Matthysse, Provodnikov

Now when evaluating that list, we pretty much have to remove Pac(not happening), Provodnikov(too brutal), Matthysse(no draw) Brook(no draw), Bradley(no draw), and Quilin(no Draw). That leaves Garcia, Cotto or Martinez, Porter, Thurman, Khan, or Maidana. I think it is safe to pencil in Maidana for another fight that Floyd will win but will still be brutal. That is two fights between Garcia, Cotto or Martinez, Porter, Khan, and Thurman. I don't know which he would pick but at his current fight rate he will be fighting some one on that list around May of next year and then roughly around the fall, a few months from his 39th birthday. I don't know about you guys but I think Floyd wins those but I am not sure that any of them will be easy. Honestly, two years from now, in my humble opinion if Porter continues his ascent, that fight may be ultra competitive.

As for Showtime, I don't see anyone on that list that brings in over a million buys except the Cotto-Martinez winner. Showtime would never say it publicly but half of the fights not doing 1 million buys was not in the cards when they made the contract.

Then again, Floyd could throw all of us a curveball and jump ship on the contract(which he can do).
    Last edited by The Good Doctor; 05-27-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Re: Getting to 49-0 Might Be Tough For Floyd..........And Showtime

If Floyd were to fight Brook in the UK (if he beats Porter for the IBF), then they could fill up Wembley, another 80k. This doesn't have to be this year, as I assume Brook will be facing Porter but it can come early next year unless Khan has already been drafted in (Although nothing is certain as we all know).

Not only does a fight in the UK renew his viewership in Europe amongst the boxing public but he would make a considerable amount of money. Brook carries big expectations on his shoulders and beating Porter would make him the biggest boxing star in the UK in my opinion. I know you guys will say Floyd won't/doesn't fight outside of MGM/Vegas but here there's potential for a bill to feature Khan on the undercard, Bring Broner back to the UK too and maybe even Frampton vs Santa C.

It sounds like a lot but with Haymon's stable and Showtime wanting to get more bang for their buck... I don't see why this can't be made reality.

Garcia has no chance and shouldn't be considered if you ask me. It won't live up to the hype and Floyd will have it easy for 12 rounds.

Cotto is not what he used to be and I see Martinez beating him.

He's unlikely to face Porter because of the Brook fight, and because he wouldn't want to put himself in the path of a steam train..

Thurman is a nice bet, I fancy Thurman's chances in the ring vs Floyd and I think he may just shatter the ambition of 49-0.

Provodnikov is one which can't be left out of the mix either.. Floyd can (and probably would) beat him with his boxing mastery, but if anyone can absorb punch after punch and still come back firing devastating blows it's Provodnikov. I don't think he'll want to stand in the pocket for too many rounds if this fight happens.. Would love to see it.

Quillin wouldn't stand a chance let's be honest.

Maidana rematch.. Sure why not? It was very entertaining and i'm sure it'll be just as good the second time around. The outcome would be a cleaner decision for Floyd, as many of us expected the first time around.

There aren't many there for him to fight. There aren't many who can give him a real fight either. If they want to maximise their earnings, and they want a massive event.... It has to be Pacquiao.

(sorry but it's the truth)

Here is a breakdown of what I see for Mayweather for the remaining fights on the Showtime contract.

Before I begin, since I am an economics person I need to hold a couple variables steady. And that is that the Top Rank-Golden Boy Feud remains (at the very least Schaeffer/Mayweather-Arum feud) and HBO fighters (Martinez, Provodnikov, etc) not associated with Top Rank remain fighting only on HBO.

That out of the way, here is what I see:

Most Likely Scenario:

September 2014 - Mayweather-Maidana rematch; as discussed in previous threads, this is certainly not a foregone conclusion but appears likely at this point.

May 205 - Mayweather-Khan; Khan is apparently out for September due to religious purposes so this is the only time remaining in the contract he can fight Mayweather. He is a name and will bring legions of fans with him. But looks very vulnerable, Mayweather and his team will not miss the chance to schedule him.

September 2015 -Mayweather-Thurman; This takes a little forecasting but my guess is Thurman. Why? He is charismatic and will hope sell the PPV. Haymon will move him carefully into this position as well. He is a power puncher as well and that will be be built up during the promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    Here is a breakdown of what I see for Mayweather for the remaining fights on the Showtime contract.

Before I begin, since I am an economics person I need to hold a couple variables steady. And that is that the Top Rank-Golden Boy Feud remains (at the very least Schaeffer/Mayweather-Arum feud) and HBO fighters (Martinez, Provodnikov, etc) not associated with Top Rank remain fighting only on HBO.

That out of the way, here is what I see:

Most Likely Scenario:

September 2014 - Mayweather-Maidana rematch; as discussed in previous threads, this is certainly not a foregone conclusion but appears likely at this point.

May 205 - Mayweather-Khan; Khan is apparently out for September due to religious purposes so this is the only time remaining in the contract he can fight Mayweather. He is a name and will bring legions of fans with him. But looks very vulnerable, Mayweather and his team will not miss the chance to schedule him.

September 2015 -Mayweather-Thurman; This takes a little forecasting but my guess is Thurman. Why? He is charismatic and will hope sell the PPV. Haymon will move him carefully into this position as well. He is a power puncher as well and that will be be built up during the promotion.
    I can see that. That is not the easiest of gauntlets either. I may sound crazy but I think Khan could give Floyd some major problems.

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Doctor View Post
    I can see that. That is not the easiest of gauntlets either. I may sound crazy but I think Khan could give Floyd some major problems.
    I have always said Khan has a top draw offence. It's one of the best in the sport currently in my opinion. Unfortunately, his defence is not even half of what his offence is. Sure he will land on Mayweather, sure he will win rounds. But all it'll take is one left hook and Khan will be back on the canvas. It's almost a universal truth.

For his last three fights, I see $$$May taking on Marcos Maidana in September (as we awit $$$May's choice for Sept. 13), Keith Thurman next May, and then, if everything plays out right, Shawn Porter, which, by then, could be a huge mistake for $$$May.

However, $$$May is such a shrewd businessman, that he knows how tough Porter will be, and just may move in a different direction. That direction, for what he will say is his final fight, is a fight he has been hesitant to take, the mega-match against Manny Pacquiao.

$$$May has told a few too many people around him that he is liking what he sees in the current Pacquiao, and believes Pac-Man's skills have eroded just enough--and will continue to slip and erode--to all but guarantee a $$$May victory in September 2015.

But first, let's see if $$$May calls out Marcos Maidana's name in the next few days.

-Randy G.

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    For his last three fights, I see $$$May taking on Marcos Maidana in September (as we awit $$$May's choice for Sept. 13), Keith Thurman next May, and then, if everything plays out right, Shawn Porter, which, by then, could be a huge mistake for $$$May.

However, $$$May is such a shrewd businessman, that he knows how tough Porter will be, and just may move in a different direction. That direction, for what he will say is his final fight, is a fight he has been hesitant to take, the mega-match against Manny Pacquiao.

$$$May has told a few too many people around him that he is liking what he sees in the current Pacquiao, and believes Pac-Man's skills have eroded just enough--and will continue to slip and erode--to all but guarantee a $$$May victory in September 2015.

But first, let's see if $$$May calls out Marcos Maidana's name in the next few days.

-Randy G.
    Commish, I am interested in your thoughts on this question:

Do you think with what you know about Floyd's view of Manny that he would possibly make Manny fight #50 and the ride off into the sunset? That would be a gigantic financial move with not only the names, but the underlying stories of them finally fighting, going for 50, and it being his last fight.