English Español
Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Doc's Diagnosis.............Are we in a Golden Age????

The Doc's Diagnosis.............Are we in a Golden Age????

I was doing my late night reading of some business material and I ran across an article that talked about how the downfall of several companies is when they first have an influx of great talent they become successful, but the proceeding generation of people is not as talented nor as dedicated and the decline begins. In this article they mentioned how the NBA struggled to find its way after the Jordan years, how Apple has had issues since the the Steve Jobs regime and a few others. The article also stated that businesses that kept a continuous flow of talent almost always had sustained periods of success, almost akin to a golden age.

Now what does this have to do with our beloved sport? As I watched Marquez dispose of Alvarado it dawned on me that I was watching one of the greats perform well in his craft and that I probably would not be seeing it too many more times. In addition to Marquez, the likes of Mayweather, Pac, Hop(maybe lol), Martinez, Cotto, Wlad & Vitali, Donaire, Froch, Paulie, Zab, and a few others whom were or still are good to great will be out of the game shortly. Even though there appears to be a large exodus of fighters out of sport coming soon it appears that boxing may be set up for its own golden age. In my opinion, boxing is approaching a time of where there will be a sustained level of really good fighters out there. I also think there are some interesting stories adding to the sustainability of the product as well. After the aforementioned guard, look who is on deck:

-Rigo, Ward, Kovalev, GGG, Stevenson, Canelo, Porter, Thurman, Crawford, Gary Russell, Danny Garcia, Mikey Garcia, Provodnikov, Brook, Wilder?.

Add to that the "not quite old yet guard":

-Khan, Maidana, Matthysse, Quliin, Bradley, Dawson, Pascal, Bute,

Add to that a true almost unlikable villain:

-Adrien Broner

And add to that:

-A heavyweight division that is now wide open with the K brothers in the twilight;

And the giant carrot out there:

-The end of the Cold War

I believe we may be entering into a golden age of boxing in terms of depth of talent and the surrounding stories. It does not appear that we will have the the mega star of the Pac or Mayweather brands but when I look at what's out there, I gotta admit I feel good about now and what's coming.

Re: The Doc's Diagnosis.............Are we in a Golden Age????

Awesome! I like it!

Yes, you could be right! As far as PPV, I think Canelo and Adrien Broner will take over. Wilder might be a solid draw as well.

But the future looks bright. It always is. We just have a tendency not to appreciate what we have until it's gone.

The way Mayweather and the Cubans are influencing gyms worldwide, they will be worshipped 25 years from now.

I think you're on point: we're entering a new era of boxing with new stars, less corruption (they're weeding it out), more transparency and overall higher integrity.

Another critical thing I think we missed is that Bob Arum and Don King are the last traces and links to the mafia days of boxing.

Once they go, the promotional world will consist mostly of fighter's with empathy and understanding of fighting.

Oscar, Floyd, Bernard and to a lesser extent Mike Tyson are already prominent promoters.

Eddie Hearn and Sauerland are young, progressive guys who have almost ousted the old farts Mogens Palle and Frank Warren.

Boxing has always been so fragmented and littered with conflicts of interests.

With Al Haymon empowering fighters, promoters coming together, boxing moving toward more unity and increasing transparency, boxing may finally escape the stone age and enter a Golden -- or should we say Monetary? -- age.

I think it's going to be a fun time to be a boxing fan.

PS - the ramifications of GB-TR feud are vastly overstated. For one, HBO are preventing matchups -- many more than GB/TR. Two, look at the rosters. Besides, one promoter is not going to risk his investment to the other for "the fans." That means no Manny vs Porter. No chance in hell. People need to stop living in dreamland. Oust Ken Hirshman and ice will thaw.

Broner has been exposed. He couldn't even win the gift setup he was given. Broner is an artificial draw. Wilder is the Shadow- Al Haymons dream, a heavyweight champ , but he has along way to go to take over PPV. The Top Rank - Golden Boy Feud is about to be over and Marquez will get a nice match vs Porter,Maidana, or possibly Thurman. Boxing is always golden it just has peaks and valleys like everything else.

Good Doc, I do also believe we are entering a Golden Age in the sport. Yes, some current big names may within the next few years be exiting but there is a crop of diverse talent in the sport who will soon be making names for themselves.

When I say diverse talent, I really mean diverse styles. We have excellent pure skillful boxers (Rigo, Lomachencko, Russell. Crawford), talented boxer punchers (Mikey Garcia, Danny Garcia, Tim Bradley, Gamboa, Ward, Canelo, Danny Jacobs, Andrade), pure punchers developing very good overall skills (Kovalev, Thurman, Stevenson), brawling aggressive style fighters some of whom carry some major power (Porter, Provodnikov, Golovkin, Frampton), volume punchers (Leo Santa Cruz, Kiko Martinez) and some real heavyweight hopefuls that could get some buzz going in the US for the division (Wilder, Stiverne, Jennings).

The group listed above are all talented fighters on the cusp or just entering the primes of their respective careers. There is potential for a few mega stars to come out of this group. Just look at the names above, there is some serious talent and some seriously big time fights that will generate mainstream buzz that will be made in the coming years.

But this is not the only reason I think the sport will be entering a Golden Age. Lets take a look some prospects that are coming up and see why there is even more reason to get excited.

Felix Verdejo (12-0, 9 KOs) - I think Verdejo is a budding superstar. Reminds me a little of a young Miguel Cotto. Explosive is the best way to describe him in the ring.

Oscar Valdez (11-0, 11 KOs) - Another prospect I think is a budding superstar. Just fought on the UC of Marquez-Alvarado. Has all the tools and deep amateur background.

Errol Spence (12-0, 10 KOs) - A very good puncher with excellent boxing skills, very committed and devastating body puncher. Has huge upside.

These three have major potential and I believe will be stars. But there are many, many others as well (Jessie Magdaleno, Jose Ramirez, Joseph Diaz, Marcus Browne, Anthony Ogogo, the Charlo twins, Anthony Joshua). These are all very, very talented young fighters with lots of promise.

The future is very bright for the sport and I am excited to see what happens inside the ring in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    Broner has been exposed. He couldn't even win the gift setup he was given. Broner is an artificial draw. Wilder is the Shadow- Al Haymons dream, a heavyweight champ , but he has along way to go to take over PPV. The Top Rank - Golden Boy Feud is about to be over and Marquez will get a nice match vs Porter,Maidana, or possibly Thurman. Boxing is always golden it just has peaks and valleys like everything else.
    Wat do you mean by artificial draw? Because according to Nielsen, he does pull some of the best numbers on premium cable. And industry insiders are saying he's the guy. By maybe it won't translate over to buys. We'll see...

Perks and valleys...indeed.

Don't wanna see Marquez vs. Thurman or Porter. Marquez is too small for those guys. Maidana would be fun, though. I'd rather see Marquez vs. Matthyse or Danny Garcia, some of those 140 guys. Wouldn't those be awesome fights?

Bobcat, is it just me or are we forgetting to mention Andre Ward?! He's got many years ahead of him too!
    Last edited by The Shadow; 05-19-2014 at 01:22 PM.

I do have Ward in the group (in the boxer puncher category, quite a few names in there). He is one who could potentially really break out. What I mean by that is into the star PPV headlining category. Mind you, I said potential as he is not there yet but could be.

I think when you really break the list down there are good fighters and then there are those of the elite PPV headlining variety. Ward as I just stated will be in that latter category. I see him taking a Maywayweather path to PPV headlining. Its going to take time but eventually the body of work and overall skills will get notice coupled with a few big wins. Ward is talented, has tremendous speed and ring smarts. Its a matter of time in my opinion.

Other fighters I see as PPV headliners are...Canelo (on a bigger level than he is doing now), Golovkin, Kovalev, and Mikey Garcia. There are several others that also could get there but I think these four are on a different category along with Ward.

Canelo - Has the charisma and fan following already. There is plenty of talent, above average hand speed, very good power, etc. He is still very young and his overall skills will get much better.

Golovkin - The real deal at Middleweight. Ferocious puncher, when he lands he hurts his opponents and may be pound for pound hardest hitter in the sport. Fights in such an exciting style and always pressing forward looking to land power shots. Very underrated boxing skills as well.

Kovalev - If Golovkin is the hardest puncher in the sport, Kovalev is not far behind. Another exciting fan friendly style and always pressing forward like Golovkin. Very fluid, things just seem to come naturally to him. Also, extremely underrated overall skills in the ring. Knows how to set up punches and not given credit for his defensive skills.

Mikey Garcia - To me, the total package as a fighter. The only thing I wonder about him is his desire in the ring. Naturally very gifted. Has excellent hand speed and very good power. Has mastered the science of the sport. Good at landing combinations and getting out before getting hit himself.

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    I do have Ward in the group (in the boxer puncher category, quite a few names in there). He is one who could potentially really break out. What I mean by that is into the star PPV headlining category. Mind you, I said potential as he is not there yet but could be.

I think when you really break the list down there are good fighters and then there are those of the elite PPV headlining variety. Ward as I just stated will be in that latter category. I see him taking a Maywayweather path to PPV headlining. Its going to take time but eventually the body of work and overall skills will get notice coupled with a few big wins. Ward is talented, has tremendous speed and ring smarts. Its a matter of time in my opinion.

Other fighters I see as PPV headliners are...Canelo (on a bigger level than he is doing now), Golovkin, Kovalev, and Mikey Garcia. There are several others that also could get there but I think these four are on a different category along with Ward.

Canelo - Has the charisma and fan following already. There is plenty of talent, above average hand speed, very good power, etc. He is still very young and his overall skills will get much better.

Golovkin - The real deal at Middleweight. Ferocious puncher, when he lands he hurts his opponents and may be pound for pound hardest hitter in the sport. Fights in such an exciting style and always pressing forward looking to land power shots. Very underrated boxing skills as well.

Kovalev - If Golovkin is the hardest puncher in the sport, Kovalev is not far behind. Another exciting fan friendly style and always pressing forward like Golovkin. Very fluid, things just seem to come naturally to him. Also, extremely underrated overall skills in the ring. Knows how to set up punches and not given credit for his defensive skills.

Mikey Garcia - To me, the total package as a fighter. The only thing I wonder about him is his desire in the ring. Naturally very gifted. Has excellent hand speed and very good power. Has mastered the science of the sport. Good at landing combinations and getting out before getting hit himself.
    What's interesting is that Kovalev came out of Abel Sanchez' camp also! That's where he built that destructive style.

Or at least so Sanchez says. By he used to get lit up by Golovkin in sparring to the point where it hurt his confidence so they stopped.

I dug up some Sanchez quotes on that so I'm going to do a write-up on that one of these days....

And sorry for missing the Ward part.

Broner vs Rees was a 80-1 mismatch that should never of been on premium cable. its free cable so of course people will watch it. If you build it they will come. The Broner vs Molina mismatch was an over 50-1 mismatch that was a gift given to Broner so he look look great but he looked terrible and stuck his foot in his mouth again. The Paulie vs Broner match did good because Paulie was involved in it, had a lot of foul talk and people wanted to see if Broner could win ( I think he lost). People tuned in in big numbers to see Maidana vs Broner and Broner got whooped and ran out of the ring crying. He got his beating and that's what people were tuned in to see. Now thats over with not to many people are interested in watching the guy. The fake marriage proposals, combing of the hair, and such aren't what people tune in to see. Unless its a big name opponent, Broner can not carry a PPV unless Floyd/Haymon/Espinosa gift him one. Another embarrassing loss and he is gone

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    What's interesting is that Kovalev came out of Abel Sanchez' camp also! That's where he built that destructive style.

Or at least so Sanchez says. By he used to get lit up by Golovkin in sparring to the point where it hurt his confidence so they stopped.

I dug up some Sanchez quotes on that so I'm going to do a write-up on that one of these days....

And sorry for missing the Ward part.
    I did read about Kovalev's time with Abel Sanchez recently. It is interesting that both he and Golovkin came from that same camp.

I forgot to comment as well on the GB-TR feud. I think you are correct and that it is being overstated.

A lot of people tend to leave out the fact that HBO has shut out Golden Boy (Al Haymon as well). HBO is preventing many fights from happening. Golovkin, for example, won't be fighting Quillin even if Quillin, Schaefer and Haymon all sign off on it. The reason, Golovkin has an HBO deal and HBO won't do business with those who guide Quillin's career. Golovkin has zero affiliation with Top Rank. Just one example of many...

Solid thread Doc. I think we are entering a Golden Age.. However I think this age of boxing bliss could be hampered by the greedy endeavours of a few at the top who make the fights reality. When the wall finally is smashed to dust we will really enter the Golden Age, and the next generation of boxing fans will be getting Christmas almost every month of the year. I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by deepwater2 View Post
    Broner vs Rees was a 80-1 mismatch that should never of been on premium cable. its free cable so of course people will watch it. If you build it they will come. The Broner vs Molina mismatch was an over 50-1 mismatch that was a gift given to Broner so he look look great but he looked terrible and stuck his foot in his mouth again. The Paulie vs Broner match did good because Paulie was involved in it, had a lot of foul talk and people wanted to see if Broner could win ( I think he lost). People tuned in in big numbers to see Maidana vs Broner and Broner got whooped and ran out of the ring crying. He got his beating and that's what people were tuned in to see. Now thats over with not to many people are interested in watching the guy. The fake marriage proposals, combing of the hair, and such aren't what people tune in to see. Unless its a big name opponent, Broner can not carry a PPV unless Floyd/Haymon/Espinosa gift him one. Another embarrassing loss and he is gone
    Couldn't agree more D2. I wonder what the rest of 2014 has in store for Broner... What are the chances of it being a tough fight?