English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Doc's Diagnosis.....................Pac-Marquez Rivalry....Best Ever?!

Re: The Doc's Diagnosis.....................Pac-Marquez Rivalry....Best Ever?!

Personally watching Paq vs Marquez holds little interest for me. I don't like their fighting styles against each other... Although I did buy Paq vs Marquez 4 out of boredom and was treated to the rare spectacle of seeing Paq get put into a deep sleep.
    Watching the declining versions of these two living legends and icons of the sport continuing a now irrelevant series reminds me of the Vasquez vs Marquez series that went a couple of fights too many........and became morbidly obsessive.

I'd rather see how Paq and Marquez measure up against everyone else.

I have probably watched 28 hours of video revolving around the Benn vs Eubanks rivalry.

It was one of the most compelling stories in boxing since Ali vs Frazier in my opinion. I never get tired of revisiting the lives of these two great gladiators. I'd recommend it to any fan who hasn't seen it ... There's literally endless footage about their battles on you tube. After an hour into the footage you'll even forget these guys are British.

Its an amazing human story that never gets old.

Indeed. Add Collins and Watson and we have a late 80's/early 90's middle/supermiddle version of the heavyweight mix of the 70's, with Benn-Eubank as the core.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
    Indeed. Add Collins and Watson and we have a late 80's/early 90's middle/supermiddle version of the heavyweight mix of the 70's, with Benn-Eubank as the core.
    Thanks for bringing those guys up Grimm. I was totally enraptured by every detail concerning the event when I happened upon it on you-tube.

Also there's a very good documentary about Benn and Gerald McClellan I found to be pretty interesting. As you had so adroitly mentioned earlier Grimm, ... Nigel was quite a character. Makes a younger Mayweather look like a girl scout by comparison. This guy partied like a rock star and fought like a demon... Never seen anything like it... Could you possibly post your interview?

I was completely blown away by the Benn-McClellan fight: the energy, the frenzy, the Dempsey-Firpo-like violence - and the tragic that followed. Boxing at its best and worst at the same time; our sport captured by its very soul.

I'm sorry if I sometime, somehow, have given the impression I've done an interview with Benn. I haven't, even though I've met him. But - at that event (2001) I did a piece on Ali, and I guess that's what your'e referring to.

I guess we've seen the same documentary on Benn-McClellan. Definitely worth watching.

Indeed Grimm, sad, savage and memorable. One of the most powerful boxing docs ever made.

Advanced Users

Max Kellerman is on to Marquez hiding up in Hulkquez. Going to the video -- Max Kellerman: Juan Manuel Marquez conditioning SUSPICIOUS -- on Youtube. Holla!
    Last edited by Radam G; 05-21-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Administrator

What did a woman once write, with Nigel Benn as the punch line? I'm really reaching here, but it was something like 'I love the whole world...except Nigel Benn'. Anyone?

And who could blame her Dino? Nigel did eventually straighten up and went completely to the opposite side of the spectrum (which many hard cases often do) by becoming a preacher... If memory serves me correctly. He also changed his position from being dispassionately aloof to the misfortune of Gerald McClellan to actuay visiting McClellan, providing financial assistance along with his prayers during bedside visits with the McClellan family... This entailed Nigel confronting McClellans' family who blamed Nigel for Gerald's condition and were also enraged by some of Nigel's extremely crass post fight remarks. The hard feelings later became replaced with goodwill and mutual respect. Awesome story.