English Español
Advertisement

Thread: Marlon Starling vs Jose the Threat Baret (Not Yet)

Marlon Starling vs Jose the Threat Baret (Not Yet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASvw...byIxXcDdZ8ZA8f

I was looking for something and stumbled upon this fight that the Commish was talking about a few weeks back.

Re: Marlon Starling vs Jose the Threat Baret (Not Yet)

Starling is a very underated and overlooked Welterweight Champion. The kind of guy who could hang with anyone in the history of the 147 weight class. There was nothing spectacular about him but he did everything well. Moochie was the man in the era between Leonard and Whitaker and then Oscar and Tito. Take a look at this fight if you have the time folks.

Thanks for that clip, Roast. I had not seen this particular fight of Starling's. I have read about him and seen some video of him but he came along just before my time so not completely familiar with him as a fighter.

For someone in my generation, its also interesting to see the start of that video. The opening graphic displays "CBS Sports Saturday" so obviously this was a network television bout. I am guessing here so don't hold it against me if I am incorrect but this was probably shown in the afternoon. Man, do I ever wish the sport of boxing would be televised by the major networks in the afternoon today. That is a dream for another day...

Y'all know what's so crazy?! Just yesterday, after trying to find some fights of his for years, I watched Floyd Mayweather fight Baref AND Starling! Wow!

Mayweather starched Baret while Starling beat him on points. He fought exactly in the same manner as he did vs that Charlie Z guy and looked similar too.

Nice clips, Roastie.

There are times I feel older than my biological age of 149. This is one of them.

Some of you are talking about Marlon Starling as if he fought in the era of Benny Leonard instead of Sugar Ray Leonard. I was ringside for nearly every one of Starling's bouts. Included on that list I was ringside for was Starling's masterful performance against Jose "Not Yet" Baret, who was being touted by MSG VP of Boxing John FX Condon as the "next welterweight champion of the world." Baret barely touched Starling, who dazzled Baret with his wizadry.

Starling employed a leatherproof defense, keeping his hands high and open near his ears, almost like earmuffs.At his best, his was virtually untouchable.

He attends the IBHOF weekend every year. It's so great seeing my old friend there every year and getting to hang with him for awhile.

Hopefully, many of you will be there, too.

If so, maybe we can watch the SergioMartinez-Miguel Cotto fight together, along with Starling and so many other boxing celebs who will be there.

Please make sure you find me and Cooney. We look forward to meeting you.

-Randy G.

I was looking for the postfight interview from the Starling-Honeyghan fight when I saw the Baret fight. Yes oubobcat this was a Saturday afternoon broadcast. These kind of fights were on network TV almost evey weekend back then.
    So many great fights and great careers just unfolded on a regular basis.

Advanced Users

I didn't dig Mar-Star knocking out my idol, Mark Breland. MB was one of the baddest amateurs on the planet for the famed Muhammad Ali (amateur) Boxing Club back in da day.

Nonetheless, Mar-Star was all that and three bags of chips. Holla!