English Español
Advertisement
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruslan Provodnikov - The Siberian Rocky

Re: Ruslan Provodnikov - The Siberian Rocky

I was going to write a post about Provodnikov, but when I found out the article was Skibbz' first, I was blown away. I now want to save my comments about the "Russian Rocky" fore another time, as I say congratulations, Skibbz, on a job well done.

A caller to my show yesterday (Monday) said, "So many fans now think they are boxing writers because they can go online and post something. Much of it is totally unreadable." Not your stuff. You are truly a talented writer who I, for one, enjoy reading. I believe I have more than a few posters in here who agree with me.

Savor the moment, pal. Enjoy it. Remember it.

Welcome to the world of boxing journalism.

You are a boxing writer!

-Randy G.

I'm feeling some passion here. I hope the Siberian Rocky fulfills his potential.
    Last edited by brownsugar; 05-20-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Advanced Users

Quote Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
    I was going to write a post about Provodnikov, but when I found out the article was Skibbz' first, I was blown away. I now want to save my comments about the "Russian Rocky" fore another time, as I say congratulations, Skibbz, on a job well done.

A caller to my show yesterday (Monday) said, "So many fans now think they are boxing writers because they can go online and post something. Much of it is totally unreadable." Not your stuff. You are truly a talented writer who I, for one, enjoy reading. I believe I have more than a few posters in here who agree with me.

Savor the moment, pal. Enjoy it. Remember it.

Welcome to the world of boxing journalism.

You are a boxing writer!

-Randy G.
    Ditto the Commish. Now you know, Skibbz. I told you from the jump that with your keyboard you can straight-up thump. You bring it with hooking passion and thrilling action.

Man, in this Universe, we have some posters who are some bad mofus. Skibbz, you are at the top of that list. Holla!

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbz View Post
    Thank you for your comments, this is the first boxing article i've ever written so I appreciate your discussion.

@riverside A fight with either Argentine would be one for an PPV undercard! I'm so surprised he hasn't made his way onto massive undercards but atleast now he's headlining his own shows! I think he beats Maidana, but Mattyhsse is a serious banger with a tough chin. I'd pay to see both!

@Oubobcat Alvarado said it really well, Provodnikov tries to beat you with pure aggression. You are so right about the subtleties of his game. Not only can he cut off the ring but he can slip punches very well, he knows how to leave his left foot rooted when his opponent throws so he can come over the top with his own right hand. He never gives his opponents an inch.

Unfortunately Provodnikov's fists are attracted to the head. He throws brilliant left hooks, looping rights and left uppercuts that cause hematoma's and concussion when they land. His trainers have always tried to get him to go to the body but when this pug is in the eye of the storm all he wants is the head. Every fight I shout to him to go downstairs to crack some ribs but Provodnikov doesn't always hear me..

In terms of how far he can go.. I have always had this position for me in my head. (I'm not playing him down, just saying it how I think it is!) His role is that of the elite gatekeeper. He is the monster that must be slain before a fighter can truly be called an elite.

Why do I say this? Because Provodnikov is beatable. I've watched all of his pro fights from the very beginning, i've watched hours of his amateur fights and i've spoken to the people that know him and his body well.

To beat Provodnikov you must have tuned an engine that can work at the high gears fluidly and without faltering. You must also have the experience and skills to keep the wild mauler at bay. Attached to the strengths you must have power. Without power you can't dissuade the man from Beryozovo from coming in. Even with power it's incredibly hard and requires great courage to do, but it is possible.

If you can use all those attributes together, then you will get past the monster and catapult yourself to stardom.. Hopefully.. It doesn't always work that way!

The two losses on his CV come from two great fighters. Mauricio Herrera (who has gone on to arguably beat 140 champ Danny Garcia) and the fighter that beat both Pacquiao (???) and Marquez, Tim Bradley.

Just for the record, I scored both those fights as wins for Provodnikov, but it is what it is.
    Nice article, Skibbz - I too scored those fights for Provo.

I write this not because I share a ring and a sparring partner with Algieri, but because I’ve watched him tune himself and refine himself into twice the fighter he was 6 fights ago - gone are all the overeager habits, and in their place is a subtle, quick, strong, intelligent, and accurate guy with pop but not nukes in his fists, but more than a hundred of them a round, every round, who can throw up the middle and around tight corners. He is also in phenomenal shape to continue the tenderizing task. Beating Provo will be a task, but I can see him frustrating and outpointing him, or swelling that puffy face up to the point where a ref would step in. Do Not Underestimate Algieri. He is at this time a truly fine junior welter, who will also share a considerable height advantage along with the slick skills and speed. Just an insider view. Have I ever been way off here, guys?

Administrator

@mortcola. I've been in countless gyms in my lifetime and sparred with a telephone number worth of fighters and can tell you from first hand experience, it actually tarnishes your opinion. When you spar with a guy every day, it's easy to take a liking to them. They're fighting the same fight you are, with trying to keep a roof over their head, food in their belly, enough fuel in the car to get back and forth from the gym, etc. Here's where the problem lies. If a guy is regressing, the people closest to him can spot that easily. The problem is the one you described. When a fighter you know is improving. And I know what you're thinking, it's just the other situation in reverse. Not so. Obviously it's easier to detect engine trouble than it is to tell just how fine tuned the new cruiser is. We as humans can't help but want for the fighter. (It's late, I'm tired, been staggering around for many hours, but if I don't type this now, I never will). We add an element of 'wish'. If a good fighter shows marked improvement we tend to project it out beyond his newfound status. What I'm trying to say is if a guy was an 80, and with new found fortitude, better diet, less flaws, we tend to think of them as now arguably a 85, when in actuality they may really only be an 81. Or an 81.5. And I've spent thousands of dollars proving this theory. Knowing a fighter's work habits, backstory and such can have huge advantages, but I found it's easier to grade them if your indifferent. However, it's extremely hard to stay that way. But hey, you're the medical expert on this topic, you may know a way around this.

Administrator

Thanks for all the kinds words, I guess it's easy to write about a topic when you're passionate about it.

@Mortcola I don't underestimate Algieri, it's just that Ruslan has been in there with slicksters, guys with longer reach and guys who look like they've been chiseled out of rock. As it's been said.. Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth! If Algieri gets past Ruslan then he should receive all the recognition he deserves because it's no simple task for any boxer to beat the Siberian Rocky.

Do I think he can do it? Personally no, but I'm biased. Do I think Ruslan is the underdog in this fight..? On paper some could argue he is.. But when you're in the ring with Ruslan coming toward you, looking to inflict some damage then it's hard to bet against him. At the end of the day when Ruslan fights, he fights with his heart plus his courage and he wants to see how his opponent stacks up in those departments compared to him.. And that always makes for exhilarating fights for us viewers and fans.

Hey I’m a realist and a Provodnikov fan. And I get what Dino says about overestimating your friends - its good sound psychology. But Algieri and I aren’t buds, just friendly, and I don’t have a lot invested in him. I was pretty critical of him after the first few times I saw him at the Paramount. He has a huge hill to climb, but he’s already had pretty easy fights against excellent pros, and I can see a way this fight can go based on seeing some special qualities in him. His people aren’t dumb, and they see it too. So, no, I don’t make him a favorite. But he’s a live underdog, underestimated because he’s had only local coverage. And if all those pretty skills go out the window the first time he get’s hit solid, I will have been in and around the sport long enough to understand why. Its just that occasionally a hometown boy really does come out of nowhere and shows himself to be better than anyone thought. And, one possibility is that he achieves that in a losing effort, too...losing better than Alvarado, better even than Bradley, who fought really dumb that night. I just think Chris is now a top-ten quality fighter, and much more refined than most of the pros out there. And I have a feeling the write-ups are gonna express surprise at how much better he was than anyone outside of Long Island thought, win or lose. And lose is not written in stone this time....and, as much as i’ve gotten high off his recent wins and how he achieved them, Provodnikov is likely to start to disappoint sometime soon - he’s on a PR high that he probably isn’t versatile enough to maintain. But we’ll see.

I don't know anything about Algieri...but after listening to you guys discuss the fight I'm interested.

Anybody who can keep their head while under pressure and box will give Provodnikov fits. Just ask Mauricio and Bradley (whenever he decided to box sensibly),....

Its only after fighters have felt a good dose of his power that they tend to change...feelings of angrer, panic, desperation and hurt pride seem to ensue.

I want to see if Provodnikov has learned what to do when he's being out boxed.
    Thanks for the preview gentlemen...... This should be an interesting fight.

Algieri has a lot in common with Herrera - a bit shiftier, less stand-up, a bit more pop, and higher punch output, but precise and intelligent, well-developed basic skills with hand speed and the ability to adjust to different targets. They look similar too. Looking forward.....

The pain factor has lot to do with it. Herrera lost what was really a close decision, and took some huge shots to the body, and those jab and rights that closed and cut his left eye. Not sure how many guys would pass that test, still being effective and committed after feeling the sheer power of a real puncher’s shots. There’s a small Earnie Shavers quality to Provodnikov in both style (though P is more skilled in setting up his power, more developed) and in that thudding rattlle-your-teeth kind of power. That’s gonna be an equalizer in any of his fights. Not to mention he swells and I wd think tends to cut.