English Español
Advertisement
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SERGIO MARTINEZ Predicts KO of Cotto, Round Nine Or Earlier

Re: SERGIO MARTINEZ Predicts KO of Cotto, Round Nine Or Earlier

You know another “Devil’s Advocate” way of looking at this Cotto V Martinez fight and/or analysing it is . . . .

You could say that since Austin Trout beat Cotto with reasonable ease.

Not many people would argue that - I think.

From that one could easily extrapolate that Sergio Martinez would probably beat up Austin Trout; unless anyone thinks Trout has Sergio Martinez’ measure.

Therefore, looking at the fight through that kaleidoscope doesn’t look too pretty for Miguel Cotto does it?

Just thinking out loud.

Feedback anyone?

Trout did beat Cotto with relative ease.

One of Cotto's big issues in the Trout fight was his inability to cut off the ring.

I think Martinez has properly healed from his injuries and his lateral movement will give Cotto fits. It will not be exactly the same way that Trout did it but similar. And I think Cotto's inability to cut the ring off effectively will have a major impact on this fight.

I see Martinez slicing and dicing Cotto from the outside all night long. Unless, of course, Martinez turns old and the past injuries have not healed the way his camp is stating. If he is a more stationary target, then this will be anybody's fight. I don't think so but it is a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by oubobcat View Post
    One of Cotto's big issues in the Trout fight was his inability to cut off the ring.
    I'd say Cotto didn't have to. Trout was there. Cotto's big issue was he wouldn't/couldn't do what he had to do, and mostly because Trout was his stylistical antithesis.

Trout and Martinez are similar on the surface, but Trout is a fundamentally different and more sound boxer than the latter. Martinez uses a different pattern of movement in the ring, and - as stormcentre pointed out - sometimes executes with terrible balance. Therein lies Cotto's chances, but in order to take advantage, he has to both cut off and cut the cap without getting, hehe, cut.

Let's put it this way: Martinez' lack of (quality) boxing training during the formative years shows. And thus makes his achievements so much more impressive.